Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2128293031323334 LastLast

Thread: The catch-all movie/TV comment thread .

Stehle's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    I've seen his house and I'm still not buying that Stephen King isn't some kind of futuristic writing computer capable of output far exceeding mortal man.
    His son is not bad either (Joe Hill), but perhaps more laid back style... give him time me thinks.
    Last edited by Stehle; 03-26-2014 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Apple doesn't fall from the tree...
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

2. Movies & TV   -   #302
    Given the first four episodes of the season, I'd like to put in as saying Hannibal is the best thing going on network tv at present. I challenge anyone to find a better looking show on the schedule at the very least. It's a shame it's relegated to the Friday night death slot where I hear it's doing abyssmally. I can't think of a show that I find more visually graphic, while simultaneously making me legitimately hungry. Best praise I can heap on it.

(inb4 Justified--that's cabletv)
    Last edited by piercerseth; 03-26-2014 at 05:29 AM.

3. Movies & TV   -   #303
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I'll give Hannibal a shot. Have grabbed both Mother (tried to watch it the other night, but ran into some issues with the subs, so I went to sleep) and Host. Both are poised and ready.

Got some enjoyment out of 13 Sins, which is a 'Merkin remake of a 2006 film called 13 Beloved. Since most reviews agreed the ending was botched on the original, I took the remake route. Mark Webber does a great job of creating a sympathetic, down on his luck lead. The trailer gives away too much, so if the IMDB page seems enticing enough, just dive in.

Anyone who likes animated raunchy humor who hasn't given the Archer series a try is seriously missing out. I'm into season 2, and was laughing so hard in the middle of the night that my wife got up to see if I was having a nervous breakdown. True story. Definitely hit my funny bone last night.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. Movies & TV   -   #304
    Meg let me know how Mother & Host work out for you. Curious about your thoughts. Did an imdb on 13 Sins, had me at Ron Perlman & Pruitt Vince!

FYI if you start Hannibal, do it from the S1 beginning. If you aren't sold after 4-5 episodes w/ Mads Mikkelson as THE Hannibal I guess give up. I was just captivated at an early point, and kept going, "how the fuck is this on network television?" Still don't get it.
    Last edited by piercerseth; 03-26-2014 at 06:15 AM. Reason: derp spelling

5. Movies & TV   -   #305
    I am grabbing season 1 of Hannibal right now. Kinda nice to miss some of these great shows then be able to binge watch a season or more without waiting. Since it's sitting at an 8.5 with 26k votes on IMDB, I think it is a safe bet. I think I skipped over it because it was a network show and the premise makes it sound kinda like a quirky cop duo.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

6. Movies & TV   -   #306
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Since it's sitting at an 8.5 with 26k votes on IMDB, I think it is a safe bet.
    At this point I feel the need to point out that Shawshank Redemption still sits atop it's ratings poll and last time I checked that film wasn't on many, if any actual critic's "Best" lists

Seriously, IMDB is basically to film what Top 40 radio is to music.If you are basing what you watch/listen to by those then ever you are a tween girl or mentally deficient.

Anyway,Hannibal is OK but only really stands out as it tends to be less formulaic than almost all of the other crap on TV. Then again I was never a big fan of psychological thrillers and prefer the simple pleasures of tits and ninjas misunderstood heroes on white bicycles horses.

I guess what I'm really saying is that a funny thing happened on the way to the forum and I have come to the conclusion that enjoyable is almost always more important than good.
    Respect my lack of authority.

7. Movies & TV   -   #307
    Saw Captain America:The Winter Soldier and anyone that thinks this is what constitutes a "great" movie,seriously needs to have their head examined.
    It starts out well but quickly gets way too busy and unfocused.

Whereas something like Elysium which I also just saw,whatever it's shortcomings, does a terrific job of establishing legitimate stakes, which WS for all the fighting and explosions and saving the World never really does.
    Also please for the love of fucking God,no more Stan fucking Lee cameos,like ever or at the very least until I've dead and buried for several millennium.

What I won't argue argue the fact that Chris Evans is near perfect in the role though,which seeing he's not English or Australian and as someone who has seen Not Another Teen Movie,findsbasically a miracle and obviously some casting director is getting canonized in the very near future.

8. Movies & TV   -   #308
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    No appreciation for running gags. Stan Lee has long served as a front man for popularizing comic books and has a passion for it. Unless he's been up to some nefarious deeds, I don't really get the detested response to his usually silly roles. The Marvel universe is full of running gags, so it fits.

As far as the Captain America movie goes, it was OK I guess. I've never really been a fan of the hero, but they did some cool shit with his vibranium shield.

Redford leads Hydra... interesting. Oh yeah, spoiler.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

9. Movies & TV   -   #309
    My garage has some cool shit and didn't make $142 million dollars it's opening weekend so obviously I'm marketing it wrong.

As for Stan lee popularizing/ whoring. Potato/potahto.

10. Movies & TV   -   #310
    They could homage him without whoring. I've seen enough of him to change my opinion from "That's cool to see him" to "WTF, not again!"

I'm current on the Hannibal series. Kinda excited to see tonight's episode. Wonder if next (potential) season will involve a Lechter manhunt...
    Last edited by megabyteme; 04-12-2014 at 04:04 AM.