Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast

Thread: The catch-all movie/TV comment thread .

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post
    Taken was the best action film of the last, idk, five years. Provided, of course, you allow yourself the luxury of the suspension of disbelief.
    Which I think is what watching a film is all about.
    I'm more than willing to suspend disbelief but maintaining total incredulity for two hours is beyond my capabilities.

I would point to the scene in Taken where Neeson is driving a Range Rover around in a construction site while dozens of bad guys with automatic weapons fail to even hit the car.
    For fuck's sake, it's a British car, all they needed was a few Super Soakers to completely disable the electrical system.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Movies & TV   -   #132
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    If bad guys shot straight in action movies it would make for some very short films.
    Sort of like if no one ever did anything stupid in horror movies or if opposites in romantic comedy relationships worked out like they do in real life.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 06-23-2012 at 04:25 PM.
    Respect my lack of authority.

3. Movies & TV   -   #133
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    If bad guys shot straight in action movies it would make for some very short films.
    Sort of like if no one ever did anything stupid in horror movies or if opposites in romantic comedy relationships worked out like they do in real life.
    Be that as it may, how can someone be considered a badass if their opponents are simply heavily armed Helen Kellers?

Edit:
    Also, I would consider that Predator and Die Hard somewhat disprove your point.
    Last edited by clocker; 06-23-2012 at 04:33 PM.

4. Movies & TV   -   #134
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Taken was the best action film of the last, idk, five years. Provided, of course, you allow yourself the luxury of the suspension of disbelief.
    Which I think is what watching a film is all about.
    I'm more than willing to suspend disbelief but maintaining total incredulity for two hours is beyond my capabilities.

What an odd thing to say. Rather than being unable, wasn't maintaining total incredulity for two hours exactly what you did.
    Which is my point. Don't. Suspend it.

What about Kickass, clockster. Surely you must have loved that - and it was even less realistic. Only homosexuals and ... yeah, that's pretty much the only demographic that didn't like Kickass.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

5. Movies & TV   -   #135
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Surely you must have loved that - and it was even less realistic. Only homosexuals and ... yeah, that's pretty much the only demographic that didn't like Kickass.
    It was a pedophile's predilection for spunk wet dream.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

6. Movies & TV   -   #136
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Be that as it may, how can someone be considered a badass if their opponents are simply heavily armed Helen Kellers?
    241985_3.jpg
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

7. Movies & TV   -   #137
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Only homosexuals and ... yeah, that's pretty much the only demographic that didn't like Kickass.
    Incredibly buff, lantern-jawed heterosexual Canadians who have the look of eagles but the souls of poets found it pretty underwhelming.
    Respect my lack of authority.

8. Movies & TV   -   #138
    What about Kickass, clockster. Surely you must have loved that - and it was even less realistic. Only homosexuals and ... yeah, that's pretty much the only demographic that didn't like Kickass.
    I did like the parts of Kickass that featured Hit Girl, the rest, not so much.

Semantics aside, I had no problem enjoying Iron Sky and Troll Hunter and found both to be far more believable than Taken.

9. Movies & TV   -   #139
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Seeing it spelled out like that, I suspect you're right. It was pretty mundane except for Hit Girl.
    But the parts with her in definitely made up for all that.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

10. Movies & TV   -   #140
    You know what was pathetic though?
    The best Hit Girl scenes- the hallway fight and the training sequence where Daddy shoots her- were given away in the trailers for the movie.
    I fully expected there to be much more awesomeness in the movie and was greatly disappointed to realize I could have saved the admission and missed nothing.

Stupid movie marketers.

Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast