View Poll Results: Did Louis C.K. win the internet?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah, and in the Louis C.K. world, I could give up piracy altogether

5 83.33%
  • WTF, browser's direct download only, I'm distributing unlicensed copies forever

1 16.67%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Louis C.K.

Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dljesse View Post

Well It's not $5 for a viewing, it's $5 to own the thing. Compared to the prices on other DVDs (and CDs too, he's got those for $5 on his site) the deal is great.
    I wouldn't know whether or not I'd want to own it without seeing it first. Having seen it via torrent, I don't believe that single viewing was worth $5 (as a PPV), and I don't need to see it again. If I were to support his project now, it would be a gratuity, not a purchase.

There is a subtle difference here between paying for an item, and paying for a viewing. If I were to attend his show, I'd pay $5 for the seat. As a television program, I want to know what I am "purchasing" is worthy of repeated viewings before paying.
    I think you should look at this more objectively. I'm trying to compare his way of releasing his product (unlimited viewings, $5) to a DVD release (unlimited viewings, $20). I'm not bringing in whether you personally think it's worthy of multiple views, because that's completely subjective.

You shouldn't liken it to a PPV just because you don't like it or don't feel it worth of multiple viewings, you should be likening it to a DVD because that's what the product basically is.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19

I wouldn't know whether or not I'd want to own it without seeing it first. Having seen it via torrent, I don't believe that single viewing was worth $5 (as a PPV), and I don't need to see it again. If I were to support his project now, it would be a gratuity, not a purchase.

There is a subtle difference here between paying for an item, and paying for a viewing. If I were to attend his show, I'd pay $5 for the seat. As a television program, I want to know what I am "purchasing" is worthy of repeated viewings before paying.
    I think you should look at this more objectively. I'm trying to compare his way of releasing his product (unlimited viewings, $5) to a DVD release (unlimited viewings, $20). I'm not bringing in whether you personally think it's worthy of multiple views, because that's completely subjective.

You shouldn't liken it to a PPV just because you don't like it or don't feel it worth of multiple viewings, you should be likening it to a DVD because that's what the product basically is.
    There is no physical product, so it is basically a TV program. It is more similar to TIVO than a DVD. The fact that I can rewatch something I didn't enjoy as often as I would like (zero) does not improve the value to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

3. File Sharing   -   #13

... The fact that I can rewatch something I didn't enjoy as often as I would like (zero) does not improve the value to me.
    It's not about whether or not you personally enjoyed it. It's whether or not the way in which he's releasing his product is superior to a DVD release.
    Let's assume for a minute it's not Louis CK, but a movie you enjoy watching more than once. Would a $5 digital download be more or less appealing than a $20 DVD release to you?

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Hole69 View Post
    The problem here is why spend $5 when you don't to?
    Strange I read that and the question I see is "When someone isn't ripping you off,only trying to be nice while in the process making a reasonable living ,why the fuck would you want to steal from him?"
    Because I can. Simple.

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cut-Copy-Paste View Post
    The only problem is they dont make subtitle for it.
    I believe I remember seeing subtitled downloads.

They did air it on FX. But you'd need to compare it more to a movie rather than a TV episode, it being a one shot deal. The reason I never bought DVDs in my life is because there's virtually nothing I'd really care to watch more than once per decade (very few exceptions). If you wanted to consider the purchase a rental, it's still not so hefty a price. It's less than 1/2 of a monthly HBO subscription for that matter.

Strange I read that and the question I see is "When someone isn't ripping you off,only trying to be nice while in the process making a reasonable living ,why the fuck would you want to steal from him?"
    Because I can. Simple.
    I don't think I designed this post to be for people like you, to be honest.

In case anyone's wondering where the money goes, he made a post about it after making just over $1 million the first 2 weeks:

Quote Originally Posted by Louis C.K.'s website
    So I'm breaking the million into four pieces.

the first 250k is going to pay back what the special cost to produce and the website to build.

The second 250k is going back to my staff and the people who work for me on the special and on my show. I'm giving them a big fat bonus.

The third 280k is going to a few different charities. They are listed below in case you'd like to donate to them also. Some of these i learned about through friends, some were reccomended through twitter.

That leaves me with 220k for myself. Some of that will pay my rent and will care for my childen. The rest I will do terrible, horrible things with and none of that is any of your business. In any case, to me, 220k is enough out of a million.

I never viewed money as being "my money" I always saw it as "The money" It's a resource. if it pools up around me then it needs to be flushed back out into the system.

The thing is still on sale. I hope folks keep buying it. If I make another million, I'll give more of it away. I'll let you know when that happens because I like you getting to know what happened to your 5 dollars and bringing awareness to the bla bla bla.
    Last edited by mjmacky; 06-24-2012 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Marypost
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata

Because I can. Simple.
    I like the way that your petty self interest supersedes any thoughts of morality.
    Ever consider a career as a lobbyist?
    Respect my lack of authority.

7. File Sharing   -   #17

... The fact that I can rewatch something I didn't enjoy as often as I would like (zero) does not improve the value to me.
    It's not about whether or not you personally enjoyed it. It's whether or not the way in which he's releasing his product is superior to a DVD release.
    Let's assume for a minute it's not Louis CK, but a movie you enjoy watching more than once. Would a $5 digital download be more or less appealing than a $20 DVD release to you?
    My initial post indicated that I liked the way he offered it, but the novelty of its distribution would wear off as more people/companies offered their products that way. Essentially, it becomes a $5 PPV coming from a likable individual. If you like it, tip him the $5.

I don't want an increasing amount of my viewing to turn into PPV.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

8. File Sharing   -   #18

My initial post indicated that I liked the way he offered it, but the novelty of its distribution would wear off as more people/companies offered their products that way. Essentially, it becomes a $5 PPV coming from a likable individual. If you like it, tip him the $5.

Why would it become a Pay Per View? You're buying it ONCE, and are able to watch it an UNLIMITED amount of times. That's the complete opposite of PPV, and this method of release has nothing to do with PPV at all.

9. File Sharing   -   #19

Because I can. Simple.
    I like the way that your petty self interest supersedes any thoughts of morality.
    Ever consider a career as a lobbyist?
    I am amoral. Gave up on morality after my philosophy degree. No right or wrong for me. Decisions based on what I want/need/feel like.

10. File Sharing   -   #20

Why would it become a Pay Per View? You're buying it ONCE, and are able to watch it an UNLIMITED amount of times. That's the complete opposite of PPV, and this method of release has nothing to do with PPV at all.
    The fact that I would only watch it once makes it a pay-per-view. There is noting there that I would need/want to see a second time regardless of my ability to watch it. You are hung up on your warm fuzzy feelings for the marketing. It may be a bargain for you, but for me it's $5 for a one-time-viewing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast