Page 21 of 45 FirstFirst ... 111819202122232431 ... LastLast

Thread: what are some good movies to watch

megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by piercerseth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    The screener leaked yesterday. 2 1/4 hours with about 5 memorable, active, exciting parts. So, about 15 minutes of actual entertainment.
    It felt like 6 hours. Maybe I was sitting too close to the tv.
    That's the change in relativity caused by watching an over-hyped movie that you hope is going to get good at the end. I kinda felt like I aged more than the population who had not seen the show.

Anyone else notice that almost all of the interesting parts were "borrowed" from better scifi? Sadly, there is no academic accountability in Hollywood.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

2. Movies & TV   -   #202
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    That's the change in relativity caused by watching an over-hyped movie that you hope is going to get good at the end. I kinda felt like I aged more than the population who had not seen the show.

Anyone else notice that almost all of the interesting parts were "borrowed" from better scifi? Sadly, there is no academic accountability in Hollywood.
    Beyond the plot contrivances, it's infuriating that Nolan insists on spoonfeeding the audience with shitty expository dialog. Trained astronauts with ostensibly PhD level educations wouldn't talk or behave like that. He makes smart movies for dumb folks. It's a shame because Kip Thorne's work is pretty great. I read they'll be able to publish multiple papers on the modeling of Gargantua.

Palate cleansing time, two recent films I enjoyed:

The Infinite Man cute low budget comedy based on time travel. Think Primer for your girlfriend.

The Guest fantastic genre pastiche. Send up of bad late night cable/direct to video with a bit of John Carpenter. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. Accompanied with an equally appropriate (and great) 80's synth sountrack.
    Last edited by piercerseth; 01-28-2015 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. Movies & TV   -   #203
    gone girl is pretty nice

4. Movies & TV   -   #204
    Glad-he-ate-her

Lap Dances With Wolves
    Last edited by NP1975; 01-29-2015 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. Movies & TV   -   #205
    ice age

6. Movies & TV   -   #206
    John Wick

7. Movies & TV   -   #207
    moon

8. Movies & TV   -   #208
    dion09529's Avatar Helter Skelter BT Rep: +1
    Leviathan

I saw this movie when it run in an event that included the best films awarded at Cannes. It's a nearly flawless movie that captures the corruption of power relations in today's Russia and how it affects the common man. Beyond that, the acting is awesome and images are superb. I'd mention it's not a commercial film, easily 'readable', and if you pay attention and seriousness definitely you'll be rewarded..
    Old shit was here. Now it's gone.

9. Movies & TV   -   #209
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I've been tempted to watch Leviathan. Dion's recommendation gives me pause, but I do believe I'll give it a shot next time I'm in the mood for subtitles.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

10. Movies & TV   -   #210
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Personally I'd rather be swallowed by a sea monster.

Show me someone who fancies himself an auteur and I'll show you someone who makes bad movies that a small percentage of the population latch onto in the hope of appearing superior.

To wit .........http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2802154/...ilter=prolific

My suggestion if you aren't one of the above is if you see the words "Nominated at Cannes" to run as far and as fast in the opposite direction as your fat little legs can carry you.

I don't expect anyone here to agree with me as well,you're you and apparently bleakness is a good way to spend two hours.
    Respect my lack of authority.

Page 21 of 45 FirstFirst ... 111819202122232431 ... LastLast