Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: Pc V3.3

_John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by clocker@24 November 2003 - 20:53
    Lynx,

SpeedStrip looks like the fastest, easiest and most reversable method of unlocking the multipliers on your chip to me.
    Umm guys, if you look at that article, all it does is jumps two pins on the motherboard, and oddly enough, it tell you how it does it, and it SHOWS YOU which two pins are being jumped.

I know people who have used a graphite pencil to jump the L2 bridges on the throughbreds to unlock the 512k L2 Cache, and I would bet that you can just draw a line between the two pins under the processor, and voilia, its unlocked.

All you need is to jump the pins, and last time I check, graphite usually works at doing that.

You spend = 0 dollars.

Speedstrip= 15 dollars

Graphite = .03 mm thick

speedstrip = 1 mm thick.

Umm come on guys, no need to waste your money on what you can do yourself.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #62
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    John, if you read further you'll see that AMD has cut channels inbetween the affected pins so the old pencil trick doesn't work anymore. I have seen articles on how to fill the groove and then paint in the connector, but the SpeedStrip looks like the best solution to me. I've read two reviews and they both mentioned Lynx's concern about the added thickness, but neither had any trouble IRL.

I'm glad I didn't have to deal with that shit.

Edit:

The Speed Strip is less than .5mm thick, BTW, not 1mm as you stated.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #63
    How does the conductive material on that speedstrip differ from just pencil graphite?

Even if they put a safeguard on the boardchip between the pins, you can easily just put something as simple as hell a bit of fingernail polish (the kind without metal conductive materials in it of course.) to cover the small area around the two pins you plan to put the graphite bridge and then put the graphite over it so it doesnt conduct to the board, just between those two pins.

Oh and btw clocker, graphite isnt .03mm thick either......

BTW: I have had people do pratically this exact same thing.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #64
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Got me.

I've only done casual reading on this subject as it doesn't affect me.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #65
    lynx's Avatar .
    JL, I understand what you are saying, the site I originally came across said that graphite was not really good enough for this trick.

The point about my mod (using a jumper) is that it goes on the back of the MOBO (which the speedstrip can't), it uses a standard 1.75mm jumper which I think I've already got, and costs virtually nothing if I haven't got one. It is also completely reversible.

This picture (sorry they don't allow linking) supposedly shows a gap between the heatsink and the processor when using the speedstrip. The box and arrow are in the wrong place, it's the tiny splash of light to the left. I'm not willing to risk that.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #66
    Well im sure something would suffice to jump the circuits, you only need something to complete the circuit between the in ergo something with metal in it, such as the graphite.

Yeah, I know, the graphite tricks are kinda getting a bit too old to still be viable options, but i was just using it as an example in this case.

Ahh, the simple days when a pencil was all you needed to unlock a thoroughbreds.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567