Page 23 of 54 FirstFirst ... 132021222324252633 ... LastLast

Thread: which is your all time favorite movie ???

IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by asdasd21 View Post
    Shawshank Redemption also used to be my favourite movie for years. I had no idea at that time that it was such a popular movie. I hardly ever heard anyone talk about it in the 90's and it surprised me to find it at number 1 on the IMDB lists.
    No excuses, Idol won't stand by and let that be anyone's favorite. And don't even think about liking Hanibal...
    It's Hannibal,wank and forgive me for not enjoying staring into the Pit like you do.

As for Shawshank and it's initial popularity,when first released it was a bit of a bomb assumingly because it made the mistake of being marketed to adults who unlike children tend to not make relative garbage like Maleficent among the top grossing movies of all time.No I take that back, Shawshank isn't a bad film,it just irks me that it's so ridiculously overrated.

If a single solitary(prison humour) person can stand here and make a case why SR is considered better than either Papillon or Cool Hand Luke, both of which are about a gazillion times better as both prison dramas and showcases for indomitable spirit then I shall never again voice a word of protest toward you lemmings.
    Also Dustin Hoffman/Steve McQueen ,Paul Newman/George Kennedy vs Tim Robbins/Morgan Freeman.

If you want to see a FAR less poignant, less interesting, but filled with CGI violence that the storyline makes you realize doesn't matter version, see Edge of Tomorrow with Tom Cruise playing action hero Bill Murray caught up in a Starship Troopers world.
    I watched Edge of Tomorrow yesterday which probably makes sense temporally and while there is a scrap of a good story there it's largely defeated by truly horrible directing and what I term the "War is heck" effect.
    In the War is heck effect,all the violence is so bloodless,both literally and figuratively that you never get the true sense that there are any real costs involved.Hence you never really care what happens to anyone.

I will also note that the armored suits made no sense as the strength of infantry is it's mobility.If you want indiscriminate blow stuff up superiority that's what you have missiles and bombs and planes and ships with big guns for.

I also had the thought that seriously what kind of human being like the ones who inhabit Hollywood now don't even try to make the best movie they can and throw away logic and plot and emotion just for the sake of appealing to a bunch of mouth breathing teens?
    If I made movies and was ever happy to settle for that I'm fairly sure I'd do the right thing and off myself.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 06-24-2014 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Respect my lack of authority.

2. Movies & TV   -   #222
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Also Dustin Hoffman/Steve McQueen ,Paul Newman/George Kennedy vs Tim Robbins/Morgan Freeman.
    Forget pathos and that nonsense, Steve jumped a Triumph over a goddamn barbed wire fence. If the insurers hadn't been pussies he'd have legit done it himself.

Tim Robbins climbed through a pipe covered in water and chocolate pudding mix.

cooler king.gif

3. Movies & TV   -   #223
    Don't get me started.

4. Movies & TV   -   #224
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I watched Edge of Tomorrow yesterday which probably makes sense temporally and while there is a scrap of a good story there it's largely defeated by truly horrible directing and what I term the "War is heck" effect.
    In the War is heck effect,all the violence is so bloodless,both literally and figuratively that you never get the true sense that there are any real costs involved.Hence you never really care what happens to anyone.

I will also note that the armored suits made no sense as the strength of infantry is it's mobility.If you want indiscriminate blow stuff up superiority that's what you have missiles and bombs and planes and ships with big guns for.
    I even found that during the ending stretch I could not care as I'd already seen him wiped out ad nauseam. They kinda made their point that he'd been 'sploded A LOT, then they talked about ALL the times he'd been demised that we didn't see. Personally, I thought the Nicholas Cage movie Next (2007) handled the same material better.

The power suits would have been a bit more effective if they had worked as a shield as well as a sword. However, giving the lifeless, drab, background characters who are less worthy of our care as they have NO value to the general story protection against death would be self-defeating.

BTW, the Canadian Army told you your benefit was mobility because they didn't want to pay for cool weapons. Or protection.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. Movies & TV   -   #225
    If you could make cool weapons entirely from trees,we would rule the World I tell you,the World!!!!!

Anyway 100,000 highly armed mechs with guns facing an enemy who is destined to get within your lines is going to get you this.

Those high tech suits would only realistically work if the army lined up like they did in Wellington's day.
    That and there was no realistic growth to Cruise's character unlike Murray's in Groundhog Day.One minute he's the biggest coward on 7 continents and the next he's a more caring version of Rambo with no reasoning for the transformation except,because.

All in all I think it would have been better if the movie was actually more about him becoming a badass like the trailers mislead you to believe.Also the movie somehow managed to drag and yet still not have much going on.

6. Movies & TV   -   #226
    Cruise was motivated by inescapable boredom. As watchers of the film, I believe we can both relate to what gave him the desire to not be stuck in the film anymore.

Also, this :facepalm:

Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

113 min - Action | Sci-Fi - 6 June 2014 (USA)

Your rating:
    -/10

Ratings: 8.2/10 from 67,082 users Metascore: 71/100
    Reviews: 313 user | 395 critic | 43 from Metacritic.com
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

7. Movies & TV   -   #227
    Cruise was motivated by inescapable boredom. As watchers of the film, I believe we can both relate to what gave him the desire to not be stuck in the film anymore.

Also, this :facepalm:

Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

113 min - Action | Sci-Fi - 6 June 2014 (USA)

Your rating:
    -/10

Ratings: 8.2/10 from 67,082 users Metascore: 71/100
    Reviews: 313 user | 395 critic | 43 from Metacritic.com
    IMDB ratings have veered into joke territory .It's so bad now that people are regularly commenting on it in the reviews.

User Reviews

Has IMDb been hacked?26 May 2014 | by fergus-17 (United Kingdom) – See all my reviews
    I'm struggling to understand how this got such good reviews. I usually rate the IMDb score as the gold standard but something has gone seriously wrong here. I did see the trailer, it was good and contained the only laughs of the movie. The movie was truly the most tedious thing I have ever experienced. Why did it get such good reviews from critics and such a high score on IMDb? User reviews here are spot on. Not a single good review. The reviewer above who mentioned he had sat down to more entertaining bowel movements surpassed any joke in the film.

Something is very wrong here.

Contrary to appearances here I'm barely on the internet so I don't rightly know what meatacritic is except it sounds nerdish adn ghey but it seems to be the most accurate as it alone isn't (and I'm sorry or beating the dead equine) spoolging over Shawshank Redemption.

8. Movies & TV   -   #228
    I've had doubts for a while, probably a year and a half. Certain "blockbusters" get 20k votes on opening day. Reminds me of services that will five you 50k "friends" (or however many you want) on Farcebook. Undoubtedly, there are fake upvoters for hire on IMDb now.

And remember, you and I have wrestled over unexceptional films that were entertaining enough for me to defend. This is not even up to that standard.

9. Movies & TV   -   #229
    I'd have to say aliens as i really love the atmosphere and setting.

10. Movies & TV   -   #230
    Drive was great - Life of Brian too

Page 23 of 54 FirstFirst ... 132021222324252633 ... LastLast