Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Set Up A Forum...

Poster
    there is something that uses sgi it think which would let you use php and about the sql. you can always try www.freesql.org

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #12
    1and1 host is giving out webspace right now for 3 yrs and they support php mysql, asp etc.
    Only works in US & Canada. It shouldnt be a problem for you if you make a transition to there.
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #13
    http://www.spaceports.com/ is a good place to set a forum. No banner ads but some popups

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #14
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    IMO, the easiest forum to set up is phpbb. but yeah, your host needs to have:
    php
    mySQL (or some SQL type database)

you just upload the whole diretory, and go to http://www.yoursite.com/forumdirectory/setup.php

& that have a very easy-to-follow tut.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #15
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    I live in the UK and my US friends and I use Dark Blizzard for our forum. I&#39;m not sure where you&#39;re from, but as you can see the prices are outstanding.

I know you&#39;re after a free service but these guys are the most reliable I&#39;ve ever seen. In fact, I&#39;ve persuaded about 10 people to go with this service. I should really work for them haha

Samurai

Edit
    -----

Forgot to add that I believe phpBB is probably my personal choice of preference. They have thousands of forum scripts and add-ons such as templates. Click here for the link.

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #16
    if it&#39;s hosting you want, and you live in the us, go to http://www.1and1.com and sign up for their free trial (3 yrs. 500MB 1GB traffic [i think]).
    very nice.
    you&#39;ll get a default domain if you don&#39;t have one to transfer.

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #17
    @Samurai, Invision is the most popular these days and they have hundreds of templates as well.

I don&#39;t know why you persuaded even 10 people to pay for such a thing when things like that are available for free.

Just remember to exhaust all options before you start paying
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #18
    Originally posted by Sparsely@17 December 2003 - 01:00
    if it&#39;s hosting you want, and you live in the us, go to http://www.1and1.com and sign up for their free trial (3 yrs. 500MB 1GB traffic [i think]).
    very nice.
    you&#39;ll get a default domain if you don&#39;t have one to transfer.
    I.am wrote
    1and1 host is giving out webspace right now for 3 yrs and they support php mysql, asp etc.
    Only works in US & Canada. It shouldnt be a problem for you if you make a transition to there.

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #19

it&#39;s nice, ain&#39;t it?
    /me still prefers phpBB though....and the next major release is gonna be niiiiiiice.

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #20
    how do u get mysql for free, i went through sharedholders sites u have to pay for the mysql software

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12