Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: True Detective

Excellent series. Haven't watched the last episode yet for that delayed gratification.

2. Movies & TV   -   #62
    Stehle's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    In the end the show ended up being a bit empty and more than a bit disjointed.More of a series of memorable moments than a satisfying whole.

I did like the way they chose to end it though and all credit to the cinematographer and whoever it is who scouts locations as those ruins were seriously creepy.

Best idea for a shot though still goes to Banshee and the aerial blindly crawling through the cornfield toward the sniper scene.
    I wondered what you thought. I was a bit disappointed with ending also, but as a whole considered it very entertaining.

Banshee scene was great too. (Yeah.. still watching it here too.)

(Do you think Matthew McConaughey knew he was up for an oscar nomination at the last True Detective end scene?)
    Last edited by Stehle; 03-13-2014 at 01:08 AM. Reason: I do. ;->
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

3. Movies & TV   -   #63
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    [...]all credit to the cinematographer and whoever it is who scouts locations as those ruins were seriously creepy.
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/atlas_obs...s_carcosa.html

Best two lines of the episode:

Spoiler: Show
    Last edited by megabyteme; 03-13-2014 at 03:30 AM.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. Movies & TV   -   #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Stehle View Post
    In the end the show ended up being a bit empty and more than a bit disjointed.More of a series of memorable moments than a satisfying whole.
    I wondered what you thought. I was a bit disappointed with ending also, but as a whole considered it very entertaining.
    I've read people comparing the maze scene to the ending of Silence of the Lambs. Seems apt. Tense as all get out. You're (or at least I was) thinking maybe they'll defy genre convention and have the bad guy just kill both of them outright.

I agree with Idol's statement, but the two leads acting never faltered. When Marty breaks down at the hospital, and Cohle ruminates about his father and daughter...got me right in the feels.

5. Movies & TV   -   #65
    I did like the way they chose to end it though [...]
    I appreciated that I could watch a show of this caliber that actually had an ending and we weren't strung along until, well, it became Dexter.

This is a great format- 8 solid hours to tell a story that should not be told in 90 minutes, nor 90 episodes.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

6. Movies & TV   -   #66
    sadly I have tried so many times to get this, but all the episodes look to be taken down on two different usenet servers I use.

7. Movies & TV   -   #67
    Usenetfreak
    IMDB over 9 is very good and what people leave as reviews here should be a nice tv series to watch.

8. Movies & TV   -   #68
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    First, Rust has this to say to you

tumblr_n27ngaATIT1qzi80do1_500.gif

and now if I may pontificate.

As most of the annoyingly inane comments on this board are made by people who are being "forced" to post twice,I propose that instead of looking at the situation as "Gee,don't give a fuck but have to post,so will write any lame,mindless shit as it all basically counts anyway".Instead try looking at it as "Well golly fuck,as I am only going to make two posts here for all eternity, then instead of making it an entirely empty exercise,let me try to make them worthwhile".

Either that or what Rust sagely said.
    Respect my lack of authority.

9. Movies & TV   -   #69
    Stehle's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    [...]all credit to the cinematographer and whoever it is who scouts locations as those ruins were seriously creepy.
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/atlas_obs...s_carcosa.html
    Thank you Meg for the history lesson link of the location, as it was truly fascinating looking at the old photos and reading it all.

(...of course it does look a bit like my back yard when I go off my meds. 'nuff said.)

You are also quite right about the duration of any series of that caliber. (It seems the mindless one's go on forever.)

A big thanks to piercerseth who put me on to this ahead of the premiere and for his unique insight and hard work. I wondered where I may have faintly remembered (it made my head buzz, but didn't know why*), a few segments of that end sequence from. (Perhaps different locations, circumstances and situations change... but when their good their good!)

*(Perhaps just the meds again.)

Episode 4 of TD will stand out in my mind for quite a while.

Idol
    ... perhaps at times people consider you a mindless idiot intelligent person or very witty with your postings. I will agree with you on the one in this thread about the 2 post rule... now all you have to have is a few people read it... though I think the majority will just look at the Matthew McConaughey photo, read the caption and say with a sigh...
    "Glad he don't mean me."
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

10. Movies & TV   -   #70
    I agree the ending did come across as a bit segmented and choppy, but I am at a loss as to how such a show could have had a more complete ending. I've seen a couple of people make connections to Cohle being a Christ-like figure. Certainly, there is enough symbolism mixed into the show to allow people to make all kinds of their own conclusions. I recognized how each character seemed to repeat the same patterns of internal struggle/weakness. The characters were all who they were. Perhaps eternally. Cohle's realization that he "should not be there" seemed to me like he had broken from part of that cycle, as well as no longer feeling his losses.

The spinning vortex caught me off guard as it almost gave the cult a sense of being "correct" in their twisted rituals. At least it was not "pointless" killing, but based in a reality. Maybe someone else can say this better...

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast