Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hannibal

megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I really liked Adam's Apples- even before learning of Mads' career. He plays a part completely opposite of Lecter. Highly recommended.

I'll have to add Manhunter to my list of re-watch titles. Don't remember being as connected to it as I was with SotL. However, it is a necessary watch to make a full, honest comparison. Never been a Foster fan, but credit is due for her Starling role. Pulled it off better than Moore, although I find Moore considerably more enjoyable in other things.

Dancy plays the part awkwardly, but isn't believable in being "different" . Sometimes he's autistic; sometimes he's building relationships. I'm not saying he needs to go full-Rainman, but he doesn't come across as as "awkward" as he's supposed to be. He has done a better job of expressing that than Norton. Fine line, but being so "strange" (Dancy) that he can't fall in love is a stretch.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 05-19-2014 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

2. Movies & TV   -   #22
    I'd never heard of Adam's Apples--that'll go to the top of the queue. I'd picked up on Mads with the Pusher trilogy and The Hunt flick from last year. The afforementioned totally flew under my radar. Obliged

I wouldn't compare Manhunter to Silence. Way more appropriate to do it apples-to-apples with Red Dragon. I find Ed Norton terribly gifted, but he pales in comparison to Peterson. That's not faint praise.

Honestly I've been so focused (enamored) by the Will/Hannibal bromance/coenabling I've kinda lost my objectiveness. I busted on you earlier, but they're pretty great. What the shit--I just learned Dancy is a Brit. That's the second Hugh whose american accent has gone totally undetected by my tin ear. derp.

I dunno if it was mentioned earlier, but Bryan Fuller does these kick ass post-ep writeups with avclub every week: http://www.avclub.com/search?feature...he-walkthrough Really insightful

EDIT: Gillian Anderson gets better looking as time goes on, good lord.
    Last edited by piercerseth; 05-19-2014 at 07:33 AM.

3. Movies & TV   -   #23
    Quote Originally Posted by piercerseth View Post
    I also think Fishburne is miscast.
    A black sheriff FBI agent?!!!

the most frightening thing is the sheer number of Mads x Hugh tumblrs and fanfic. yikes.
    And I thought what we do here is scraping the bottom of productivity...

Gillian has indeed gotten better looking with age. She's still no Mads, but she's alright.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 05-19-2014 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. Movies & TV   -   #24
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    I'll have to add Manhunter to my list of re-watch titles. Don't remember being as connected to it as I was with SotL. However, it is a necessary watch to make a full, honest comparison. Never been a Foster fan, but credit is due for her Starling role. Pulled it off better than Moore, although I find Moore considerably more enjoyable in other things.
    Manhunter is the first movie adaption of Thomas Harris' novel Red Dragon, the story that precedes The Silence of The Lambs. In many ways Manhunter is more true to Thomas Harris' novel than the later movie adaption of Red Dragon, being a more visceral film, but what is really interesting is comparing the various strengths (and/or weaknesses) of the performances of the actors. For instance, Anthony Hopkins Lecter is a far more chilling psychopath than Brian Cox' portrayal, yet William Petersen captures Will Graham better than Edward Norton and Tom Noonan is a waaaaay more creepy Francis Dolarhyde.

I have read three of Thomas Harris' novels in this series, and to a certain extent, like Stephen Kings novels, Harris' novels are character driven, they are far more than the two dimensional characters so superficially portrayed in a great many novels, and it is the interactions of the characters and their complex drives which make the stories compelling, this is what makes the two movies Manhunter and Red Dragon interesting to compare.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

5. Movies & TV   -   #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Tom Noonan is a waaaaay more creepy Francis Dolarhyde.
    Now I'm starting to remember some of it. Yeah, very difficult to not be creeped out by this. Let's just say if you find yourself tied up in a secluded place and someone who looks like this is approaching you, you aren't likely to have an enjoyable evening- or a tomorrow.

seriously creepy.jpg

Fiennes' bad teeth and split lip got nothing on Noonan. Not the best casting decision...

6. Movies & TV   -   #26
    Im surprised this show's level of gore is tolerated on a network like NBC. There's a lot of explicit murder scenes. Good for us though

7. Movies & TV   -   #27
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by elmert View Post
    There's a lot of explicit murder scenes. Good for us though
    Now I'm left to ponder whether you are actually an idiot or if you are simply given to saying idiotic things.

If you can read, I suggest you look up the meaning of the word "pandering".
    Respect my lack of authority.

8. Movies & TV   -   #28
    I prefered the first season.

9. Movies & TV   -   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by thoren View Post
    I prefered the first season.
    I agree, the first season was the best.

10. Movies & TV   -   #30
    “He’s very special. He’s an invention. The closest thing I could find to that was the fallen angel. The fallen angel believes in the beauty of the darkness. That is so incomprehensible to us, we can’t understand it, and so we’re attracted to it. So I wasn’t reading textbooks about mental disease, I was imagining how it was to be Satan.”
    - Mads Mikkelsen
    man

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast