Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Basic home audio stuffs (mbm and co.)

megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by shaina View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    I don't think you'd get bad results attaching the rears to your wall about 4 ft to each side of the couch, about 2-3 ft above the listening position. Nobody wants a speaker right in their ear. My rears are all the way back in the corners of my room and it works out fine. Let me know if you'd like any more details, Skiz.
    What are these things?? When did they start making such innovative products??

Attachment 165282
    Attachment 165283

And Wow!! they even make them 2 way and paint-able now!!
    Unfortunately, in-wall speakers sacrifice sound quality in order to 'improve' aesthetics. I have never heard an in-wall I would rate as comparable to a real speaker. If speakers could do an acceptable job without air behind the driver, we'd see much thinner speaker boxes. And, yes, I'm QUITE familiar with planar speakers (enjoyed my Magnapans!) All speakers with small amounts of air behind the drivers sound like small speakers- and they cost more, usually.

I do not recommend this approach. Honestly, when people enter a room and see a home theater setup around a television, it is usually expected to see speakers in the room.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #72
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    I do not recommend this approach. Honestly, when people enter a room and see a home theater setup around a television, it is usually expected to see speakers in the room.
    As for in wall speakers the ones i am using are a hell of lot better than your so called traditional speakers you think are great ...I guess it depends on what you want to spend and what look you are looking for when you do walk into a room
    I prefer the theater room sound without going to a basement built one , i guess it is everyone's own choice and opinion.
    To me a universal room should look like that, but have the luxury of a great sound and experience when watching a movie or show if you choose too

Rear speakers for any surround setup should be behind your seating hens rear speakers not side or bouncing sound of the front wall , how it is achieved has a lot of variables when it is not a dedicated theater room..

PS. Would i use in-wall speakers in a theater room??? Chances are no... Why?? Because you can buy way cheaper traditional speakers to compare the sound and quality you have to spend for in walls, but myself or skiz is not building a theater room, he is building an isolated area in a large room , and trying to get the best sound and effects for a surround sound set up....

Just my way of thinking

Meg... You really have to get out there more and really check out what is available if you want to spend, and achieve what some people really want today..(not what you have isn't great i will take your B & W's but the rest you can keep)..
    What if you live in a 5000 square foot open concept condo?? and you want to build an isolated area for surround sound and viewing?? Your methods are great in a isolated room but not open concepts or rooms with other functions or obstacles that can't be removed or changed

To each there own i guess...
    Last edited by shaina; 01-20-2016 at 04:40 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #73
    If you notice, Skiz isn't really interested in blowing a bunch of money on this. Remember the client. You seem to be leaving his needs/wants out of your suggestions...
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #74
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    If you notice, Skiz isn't really interested in blowing a bunch of money on this. Remember the client. You seem to be leaving his needs/wants out of your suggestions...
    Again match in-walls to what he has now or what he wants to end up with..For cost of In-walls to match the specs of his speakers(not high end and no offense is intended to that comment) should be on his budget, and being honest... how many times is he going to change once it is all set up??
    So my thought's and thinking were on both to be honest , also thinking on the obstacles of the room placement he showed, not just a dedicated room for theater...

Today you do have to shop around and really look, and i have faith on Skiz finding the best deals for what he really wants not what i or yourself want or think is great....

I mean come on now!! Do you even see a center channel hooked up now??
    Even if that is not his permanent setup now?? He is not even using what he has now
    Unless i am blind and i can't see in the pictures he posted?? Which i did say is a beautiful rec-room/family room not living room right

You could even teach him that he can use RG6 wire and buy the proper ends for what he uses it for(knows where there is a home depot or lowes around)
    Easy to fish and not bad shielded/insulated wire to use for long runs

I don't think the wire we use is in his budget
    Last edited by shaina; 01-20-2016 at 05:12 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #75
    Quote Originally Posted by shaina View Post
    I don't think the wire we use is in his budget
    I use my spare runs to interrogate neighbors on whose dog is shitting in the street in front of my house.

Alright, I want to, but my surveillance cameras will find the evil pooer.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #76
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    You know what Skiz....
    Idol inspired me on a solution for you!!!
    Purchase your TV you really want, then go out and buy 4 pairs of really good wireless surround sound headphones (use for wife kids friends ), look online and find 4 way splitter for the phono jack on your amp, and away you go
    No worries of placement or what does or doesn't work

Now you can even use them for your pc or whatever you want... Heck you can purchase ones with voice feature and answer your phone if it rings..
    And of course sell your speakers for great money and use it for buying the headphones

Just a thought??

7. Software & Hardware   -   #77
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    In wall speakers? Nope. Concrete wall.

And I'm not even using what I have now? Broski...have you even been reading the posts? The shit isn't even plugged in. The center channel is in a box right now. The subs cord in the pic is bundled up and sitting on top of it. The TV isn't on the wall. The TV stand is 6" away from the wall. As I said before, we just finished painting and most of our things are still in boxes. This is just the basic layout of how things will be.

If you're interested in the old pics of the previous layout (as of the previous house with everything connected), it can be seen in the earlier posts in this thread.

edit: And no, I'm not building a dedicated theater room. It's just a room where my main tv is. I couldn't really give a shit about surround sound, but since mbm mentioned that since I was going to buy the M70's, why not just hook up what I have instead of selling it off. That sounded like a good idea. If I have to buy more shit to make it work, then I'll just not do it and be perfectly content with that. So like I said earlier, I'll prob just buy the M70's, then connect the center and sub and be done with it. I may add the rear channels later.
    Last edited by Skiz; 01-20-2016 at 06:23 AM.

yo

8. Software & Hardware   -   #78
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    I use my spare runs to interrogate neighbors on whose dog is shitting in the street in front of my house.
    Alright, I want to, but my surveillance cameras will find the evil pooer.
    Now that is funny
    I only have one camera in the front of my house (view on all the tv's in the house) Also when you ring my door-bell, it rings on the phone lines in the house someone is at the front door
    (technically called a Tele-Door), That is to separate the Food deliveries from the solicitors..
    But there is a few neighbors with dogs on my street and i just use a shovel and flick it onto my next door neighbors lawn when i see them
    But in all honesty most of them bring bags with them And i always blame the neighbors, because they don't explain to the nannies walking the dogs that they are responsible to pick the shit up and bring it home for them to dispose of it??
    Or it could be a language thing??

Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post

And I'm not even using what I have now? Bruh...have you even been reading the posts? The shit isn't even plugged in. The center channel is in a box right now. The subs cord is bundled up and sitting on top of it. The TV isn't on the wall. The TV stand is 6" away from the wall. As I said before, we just finished painting and most of our things are still in boxes. This is just the basic layout of how things will be.

The old pics of the previous layout (as of the previous house with everything connected) can be seen in the earlier posts in this thread.
    Oh.. My bad Skiz!!
    How long have you been in the new house then??
    Once my bedroom and family room furniture was in the tv was going on the wall and all the rooms with surround were being setup (By me of course).
    The rest of the shit i left for my wife to do
    Sorry but that might be a spoiled thing, my basement is not finished for i live in a 5 bedroom house, so i didn't need to rush (now over 10 years later and it is still a storage facility in my basement)
    My apologies Skiz...
    As for in-walls... There are low profile wall speakers that also have come down in price Skiz and they have the air Vents that Meg thinks are important
    I am just trying to make a suggestion that the speakers are kind of placed in the right spots...
    My actual family room is about the size you are speaking of with windows and door openings, fireplace, that had to be dealt with....Not a square or rectangular box..

Just suggestions Skiz... In the end it is your money and you have to live with it not me

PS. as i just took a peek again at the photos it looks like something on the top of the sub-woofer, but it also looks like a wire coming away from the back of it..
    And i assume you do watch tv there now right?? Why wouldn't you hook that up right away tells me you really are not a big fan of surround sound anyways ...
    So whatever you do will be exciting and new for you
    Again my apologies for jumping the gun and thinking you are really interested in surround sound...

And I'm not even using what I have now? Broski...have you even been reading the posts? The shit isn't even plugged in. The center channel is in a box right now. The subs cord in the pic is bundled up and sitting on top of it. The TV isn't on the wall. The TV stand is 6" away from the wall. As I said before, we just finished painting and most of our things are still in boxes. This is just the basic layout of how things will be.

Answer... I get it now on the move in thing for you Skiz But don't your walls have studs and insulation in them??? You are telling me the drywall is glued to the concrete??

If you're interested in the old pics of the previous layout (as of the previous house with everything connected), it can be seen in the earlier posts in this thread.

Answer.... Don't give two shits because it is no use to anything you are doing now

edit: And no, I'm not building a dedicated theater room.

Answer.... I know and understand completely!! but what you have now is not that bad and just need to add a few more
    things to make it work in the space you are using it , as i keep repeating it is a universal room and you should treat as such and not make it so obvious that you walk into a rec-room and you are bombarded with stereo shit!! , but when you turn it on the sound will be pleasant in the area you sit to watch a movie or show..
    I get it !!!!!! Does Meg is the question??

It's just a room where my main tv is. I couldn't really give a shit about surround sound, but since mbm mentioned that since I was going to buy the M70's, why not just hook up what I have instead of selling it off. That sounded like a good idea. If I have to buy more shit to make it work, then I'll just not do it and be perfectly content with that. So like I said earlier, I'll prob just buy the M70's, then connect the center and sub and be done with it. I may add the rear channels later.
    Now the last comments...

Well to let you in on a secret Skiz?? For you to set up properly it is going to cost you money!!!
    But once it is done and the money is spent,the purchases will not have to be replaced for a very very long time (by your comments on surround sound now you don't give a shit really)
    If i were you before you go buy anything at all!!! set up what you got and listen to it (the tv size means shit at this point so don't worry about that!!), put your ass in the middle seat of the viewing and see if you like it!!

That would be my first suggestion before you spend one penny!!! or even a nickle(Vegas term )

Then report back feedback on what you are hearing and what you are looking for???

To me that makes the most sense...Other than the Headphone thing i mentioned

Regards
    Shay
    Last edited by shaina; 01-20-2016 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

9. Software & Hardware   -   #79
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    No worries.

Nope. Not watching tv down there right now. No time for it right now really. We have the 37" tv in the bedroom set up so I'll watch that for a few mins at night. Otherwise, work and house shit has kept us plenty busy.

We picked up keys on the 29th I think. Started testing paint colors and started actually painting the 31st. 2K sq ft and we painted every inch so it took about 4 days. After that's it's been moving and more moving, plus cleaning out the old place. Getting things done slowly like putting up blinds, setting up office, etc. Slow going... that's why there no real rush on any of this stuff. I did get my new 34" ultrawide curved monitor in yesterday tho and I'm super stoked about that. Never thought I'd give up having dual monitors but this will run two windows easily and gaming on it is the absolute tits!!
    Last edited by Skiz; 01-20-2016 at 07:07 AM.

yo

10. Software & Hardware   -   #80
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    No worries.
    Nope. Not watching tv down there right now. No time for it right now really. We have the 37" tv in the bedroom set up so I'll watch that for a few mins at night. Otherwise, work and house shit has kept us plenty busy.
    We picked up keys on the 29th I think. Started testing paint colors and started actually painting the 31st. 2K sq ft and we painted every inch so it took about 4 days. After that's it's been moving and more moving, plus cleaning out the old place. Getting things done slowly like putting up blinds, setting up office, etc. Slow going... that's why there no real rush on any of this stuff. I did get my new 34" ultrawide curved monitor in yesterday tho and I'm super stoked about that. Never thought I'd give up having dual monitors but this will run two windows easily and gaming on it is the absolute tits!!
    Sounds great!! (And a lot of bloody work you guys did!!)

And it is funny that now i watch more in my bedroom than i do in the family room. It could be because my wife hogs the family room to watch her shit and i get stuck in the bedroom or the 5th bedroom, i am in now that has my PC , Media Server and a smaller surround setup (from moving shit around when i upgrade the family room every once and a while LOL!!).
    And i know from most of your postings you are into gaming and stuff (computer related), my boys don't really leave there rooms because of that (one with a MSI laptop and the other just built a new PC mid Tower(i helped a little)
    One just bought (went with him) a new Logitech mouse G502 Proteus Core , i think for playing Rainbow Six or something??
    The mouse i use is about $10 or so... Like i said not my thing

Does the curved monitor come with a built in tuner as well?? or just straight monitor??

Again i just use a shitty 20" lg monitor for PC stuff (and a few laptops around the house), it is not my thing PC gaming , and believe me if i need advice about that you would be the one i ask

But just to let you know.... When i had my house built, i came in with a hard hat and made markings where i wanted all the surround, cable, internet, satellite and electronic wiring to go before the drywall went up, so i did have a advantage in every room of my house
    So believe me i know it can be a pain in the ass if something is not pre wired or planed
    But again i will ask a question!!!!??? Is there no studs or insulation on the foundation walls???? I am assuming there is electric plugs on those walls inside fire/protective boxes right???

But if i were you I'd be patient and not rush to buy anything until you see what you got...And or maybe use it in another room before you do loose money on selling something and having to replace something similar again

Regards
    Shay

Edit... Now wait a minute....
    You just purchased that monitor and i went to the link (really nice!!)and you are complaining about spending a few more dollars on surround sound?? I really know where and what your interests and priorities really are now

Enjoy and all the best on the new monitor Skiz
    Last edited by shaina; 01-20-2016 at 11:59 AM.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast