Thread: Netflix suffering multi-day web programming screw-up

At the point that I write this (28 June 2014) Netflix web operations has been suffering a 4 day long outage, where their web-site won't 'update'; so far, it appears that it hasn't affected them receiving/shipping (and sending out the obligatory emails as such) but their main web site fails to update the 'sent' or 'received' que. They are apologizing if you call them.

This, on the heels of a rather extensive article on 'Wired' this last month bemoaning the lack of programmers in general having their '****' together, and of course the on-going security problems (from ebay to target) that seems to bedevil the entire industry. is something I've been telling folks (who would listen the rants of a pensioner) for many years.

Well, here is a company that pretty much grinds to a halt when their web site doesn't run correctly, yet the appear to not be able to keep that site running smoothly. One may eventually figure out what went wrong, Target fired virtually their entire IT staff from the top to the bottom, ebay to this date hasn't done a single thing to correct their problems (again, I've told anyone who will listen to simply stop using them until they do).

Netfilx? Hasn't even generated much (if any) news reporting for some reason. So much for the state of the 'media' these days.

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Not sure what troubles you are having, but I have experienced no such failings in service. Kids have been watching shows all 4 days you mention without interruption in service. I just checked their website, as I did a few hours ago when I first read your post. Works fine.

Do you have a grandson or someone who could stop by and check your interwebs connection for you? Yes, I'm mocking you because you seem to have a lot of axes to grind.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    You are confusing the low-rent/low quality 'streaming' service with the actual Netflix DVD/Bluray disc service, which is what most folks have and what I was talking about.

After 6 days, they finally 'fixed' the service. Absolutely unacceptable. They need to fire folks (probably foreigners working under H1B visas throwing US workers in the ditch) and get some real qualified workers.

No real 'axe to grind' as I worked in Silicon Valley for many years in the 1980's-90's and saw many companies throw highly qualified people (graduate and PHD's like myself) out in the ditch to be replaced by folks working for 1/10th the money (but they had a degree from some foreign college no one ever heard of), and the companies started going down the tubes.

This is now 'the American Way' of business, to try and hold on to what you have while raping the company for every dollar you can squeeze out of it until it fails. While watching the Giants (lose) this weekend, was treated to endless PG&E commercials on how 'good' they are rebuilding their gas transmission pipelines. Remember the big multi-death explosion they had just a few years ago right in SF about 2 miles from SFO? They had a huge taxpayer fund (100's of millions) that the state helped them collect through tax incentives, and instead of using it for what it was intended, they used it to 'fund' huge bonuses and pay incentives/increases to the top executives. Then the pipeline ruptured killing (burning to death) 8 people plus a dozen others while destroying some 30-40+ homes in a neighborhood.

And, remember the 777 crash their at SFO a few months back? Have you read the FAA/NTSB report? You know, where the controls (automated/computerized) were/are so convoluted that unless the pilot was intently watching about two dozen gauges at once and noticed that those 'controls' weren't actually working the way the manual described, they wouldn't notice the aircraft was going to 'land' about 50 feet short of the runway (which it did, killing 3). This was not the first time these systems have failed.

Probably because of the shear volume of units and types of units produced, just look at the recall rate of automobiles, 'foreign' and domestic, in just one area: the throttle (and associated braking system). If you can't get that right, go back to the model-T and start over.

Poor programming practices (as spelled out in a great article in 'Wired' a couple months back) will be the death of us all.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post

Probably because of the shear volume of units and types of units produced, just look at the recall rate of automobiles, 'foreign' and domestic, in just one area: the throttle (and associated braking system). If you can't get that right, go back to the model-T and start over.
    Sheer,and if I was a betting man I would wager that miscommunication accounts for more deaths than computer error.
    Respect my lack of authority.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    I'm no fan of big corporations sucking the life out of everything good. Interesting transition you made from Netflix DVD service to airplane crashes- obviously you are a fan of chaos theory. Hopefully you will receive your DVDs before events are set in motion which wipes out New Zealand.*

*Sorry Art, had to pick someplace and I had a feeling few 3rd world countries would garner much sympathy.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    While I am sorry for any issues you may have had with Netflix, I'm genuinely curious as to what type of content you consume that required you to toil through the archaic DVD by mail model of distribution, especially given your extensive knowledge in filesharing.
    Last edited by Rart; 06-30-2014 at 08:56 PM.

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    While I am sorry for any issues you may have had with Netflix, I'm genuinely curious as to what type of content you consume that required you to toil through the archaic DVD by mail model of distribution, especially given your extensive knowledge in filesharing.
    He's found they are even more enjoyable when delivered by oxen drawn carriage.

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    He's found they are even more enjoyable when delivered by oxen drawn carriage.
    If you know a better way of having your laserdiscs delivered, I'm all ears, smartguy. Although I shouldn't joke as there are some kick ass mixes on those things that were never remastered to newer dvd/bd pressings. Sounds to me like Beck38 is 'crate digging' as it were.
    Last edited by piercerseth; 06-30-2014 at 11:48 PM.