Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Best unlimited usenet providers?

I'm happy with UNS, but I don't know why there's 1100 + day retention when everything's gone in 24 hours

2. Newsgroups   -   #62
    I have been happy with Newsdemon for years

3. Newsgroups   -   #63
    Quote Originally Posted by vortecks View Post
    I'm happy with UNS, but I don't know why there's 1100 + day retention when everything's gone in 24 hours
    Define 'everything'. Of course, if your entire worldview is pro-wrestling, then perhaps you may be correct. I did a quick check of UNS and everything I've leeched and posted in the last couple months at least were all there.

I haven't looked back that '1100 days' but that is actually a pretty minimal number compared to the more than double that (back to Aug08) of other top providers, but perhaps good enough depending on the cost.

4. Newsgroups   -   #64
    Ive been using frugalusenet for ages now. Retention is quite short, but you can't beat the price. EU and US servers.

5. Newsgroups   -   #65
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboy24 View Post
    Ive been using frugalusenet for ages now. Retention is quite short, but you can't beat the price. EU and US servers.
    I used to think that as well and I had their $40/yr Black Friday deal. This past BF I discovered usenetbucket which is also unlimited but 1100 days retention for around US$29/yr. I get quite a few "connection closed, retrying in 10 seconds" error messages but it hasn't affected my ability to complete downloads. If I get the same or better deal next BF I'll stick with them, otherwise frugal's the next best.

6. Newsgroups   -   #66
    [QUOTE=Beck38;3758107]
    Define 'everything'. Of course, if your entire worldview is pro-wrestling, then perhaps you may be correct. I did a quick check of UNS and everything I've leeched and posted in the last couple months at least were all there.

I haven't looked back that '1100 days' but that is actually a pretty minimal number compared to the more than double that (back to Aug08) of other top providers, but perhaps good enough depending on the cost.
    I don't even look at pro-wrestling. I'm constantly getting takedowns of latest releases after 24-48 hours and even one of my obscure posts has been taken down in a week or two. I've been with UNS for many years........ Maybe it's time for a change!

7. Newsgroups   -   #67
    Sickbeard, then it matters not if it gets taken down in a day or whatever. Set it up and when its posted it gets grabbed as soon as its available.

8. Newsgroups   -   #68

I don't even look at pro-wrestling. I'm constantly getting takedowns of latest releases after 24-48 hours and even one of my obscure posts has been taken down in a week or two. I've been with UNS for many years........ Maybe it's time for a change!
    Maybe (apparently) not obscure enough. Bad hide technique? I took some time to run a test back several months on UNS/US on posted items (almost 50, ~5TB+) and found exactly one (1) article missing (works out to .0000001% if my math is okay).

That's well within any kind of propagation/transmission problems any plant could have, and obviously zero takedowns. I'd say that you need to rethink how your posts are failing in hiding/password techniques.

These 'auto grabbers' (i.e. Sickbeard et. al.) are only effective if one knows in advance what the filename(s) are, which generally means one needs to get on with a 'pay walled' site that give one a 'heads up' in advance, or you simply grab everything that xxx uploader (who uses a specific 'key' in their file header) in which case you grab everything they post whether you actually want it or not.
    Last edited by Beck38; 02-03-2015 at 04:19 AM.

9. Newsgroups   -   #69
    Quote Originally Posted by madjock View Post
    Sickbeard, then it matters not if it gets taken down in a day or whatever. Set it up and when its posted it gets grabbed as soon as its available.
    Then it becomes an arms-race. And you're beholden to your indexer to catch the release.

10. Newsgroups   -   #70
    Quote Originally Posted by piercerseth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by madjock View Post
    Then it becomes an arms-race. And you're beholden to your indexer to catch the release.
    Eh ? Of course, so when the releases get released in American time, Sickbeard can catch them before the takedowns, how is that a disadvantage ?

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast