Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Astraweb problems again

shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    They simply aren't paying attention; there appears to be a fault in the part of the s/w that transfers the incomming blocks ('uploads') from the 'front end' to the main storage.
    One can see the problem straight away by running NZBcc right away after posting (with JbinUp of course which has 100% verified the upload of course), and one will get several percent 'MIA', which 'improves' back up to 100% after a few hours. Then 'fades' down to x% for several days/weeks before crawling back up. The EU server is, at least for things posted on the US, really has trouble.
    I wonder if the base s/w they are running is a bit too much 'cobbled together' versus some other plants (GN and Blocknews in particular). But that doesn't excuse not being more watchful on the operation.
    I think it's rather like the DC Metro subway system; they've been running it in 'auto' mode for so long without upgrading the sensors that are getting old and failing, that they don't (or won't) fix things until a major crash. It's something to keep in mind if one uses them consistantly.
    But it appears that the propagation out to other Usenet servers works 100%; so where as Astra may be fading out, folks like GN and BN are 100%, thankfully. Still wants one to beat the Astra ops upside the head.
    I use to switch Usenet providers all the time , I finally had enough and stuck with Giganews and just added a offshore provider. 99% of the time you send a ticket into Astraweb , they always blame the user , they never took blame or even felt responsible (at least the person who answered your complaint and not so speedy to reply , Giganews answers you faster than you can type ). There are so many little offshore providers now that are way more reliable , speeds may be slower on some but I am having way more success , and less aggravation.

2. Newsgroups   -   #62
    Why giganews and not supernews? Giganews has nothing useful to offer for the money they ask and supernews=giganews just without useless stuff they offer.

As for their replies... Giganews has always blamed their incomplete issues (mostly old files) on DMCA whereas it was all lies coz DMCAed stuff is deleted completely and they just had lots of random missing articles. I dunno whether they have fixed this or not, I doubt it.

3. Newsgroups   -   #63
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia View Post
    Why giganews and not supernews? Giganews has nothing useful to offer for the money they ask and supernews=giganews just without useless stuff they offer.

As for their replies... Giganews has always blamed their incomplete issues (mostly old files) on DMCA whereas it was all lies coz DMCAed stuff is deleted completely and they just had lots of random missing articles. I dunno whether they have fixed this or not, I doubt it.
    I did use Supernews ($9.99) and they use Giganews access to the there servers , and the access of the retention is not the same , If Giganews does have a DMCA on there server farm access (I think I am saying it right if not sorry on the terminology) so does Supernews . I would assume that if Giganews receives a notice to remove access to said files , they will comply. I don't think I said the files were gone off the server banks , they are restricting the access by a legal request (what I assume). And with a lot of workarounds (making fucked up names for files and stuff) today some get through and some don't. But the files are there and that is why I said I do use an offshore account as well , and sometimes I do get what I am looking for if I couldn't get from Giganews . Plus I am on top of downloads on a daily basis. For a long while now I really haven't had too many take downs , and if it is not complete , the par files fix it. I am not saying Giganews is perfect , I just find it more professional and reliable where I am located in Canada and I pay $19.99 a month and that includes there VPN (and I do use VPN for US access to Netflix and I haven't found a reliable free one yet) and other crap which I don't use , that's all.
    Sorry I also saw you mentioned Giganews with older files , the only explanation there is , I don't have an answer (and it does happen) when it does I use the offshore account and if it doesn't work (and that has happened too) and it is something I really wanted , my last resort is torrents. , Just like I don't know why Astraweb gets requests to add binary groups to there service , and I was one who did send a ticket , and they got back to me 4 days later with a bogus answer that there isn't enough traffic for them to add it. It just happen to be one of the groups that files I wanted were there. And low a behold Giganews had access to it.
    I am sorry if I was misunderstood .... I just said I have tried a bunch of different usenet providers and Giganews is my preference. And if you have had a bad experience with Giganews , use what you like.

And saying all that Hypatia... what UseNet provider do you use??

4. Newsgroups   -   #64
    I've been using AW but their problems are starting get to me, however I think I still will be using them anyway, mostly because there are just 2 other providers that have the same retention, and they are Highwinds(resellers) and giganews(supernews). I won't pay Highwinds a dime, ever, and supernews is not friendly to uploaders.

Atm I'm thinking of getting supernews account for downloads and keeping AW block account for uploads. It seems reasonable enough. But I would really prefer to stay with AW.

They've got a really serious problem this time.. After new stuff is uploaded\ propagated from another provider at first everything is fine however within X hours or days AW farms start loosing a large amount of articles for reasons unknown.Some stuff can still be repaired but mostly can't. They'd better identify this otherwise everything is gonna be affected from now on and it will get much worse. I sent them email with sample nzb and stuff like that,well, we'll see if they manage to fix this.
    Last edited by Hypatia; 04-09-2015 at 10:49 PM.

5. Newsgroups   -   #65
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia View Post
    I've been using AW but their problems are starting get to me, however I think I still will be using them anyway, mostly because there are just 2 other providers that have the same retention, and they are Highwinds(resellers) and giganews(supernews). I won't pay Highwinds a dime, ever, and supernews is not friendly to uploaders.

Atm I'm thinking of getting supernews account for downloads and keeping AW block account for uploads. It seems reasonable enough. But I would really prefer to stay with AW.

They've got a really serious problem this time.. After new stuff is uploaded\ propagated from another provider at first everything is fine however within X hours or days AW farms start loosing a large amount of articles for reasons unknown.Some stuff can still be repaired but mostly can't. They'd better identify this otherwise everything is gonna be affected from now on and it will get much worse. I sent them email with sample nzb and stuff like that,well, we'll see if they manage to fix this.
    I just have a few Questions...

You mention AW block for Uploads? Do you support somewhere and upload NZB's ? I am assuming you meant download for both.

You mention a Propagated issue- I haven't found any one provider that doesn't have this problem one way or another. That's why I mentions a offshore account I find they have less of this issue , or I wait a little bit longer and usually it is all there with one of the providers I use.

You mention Retention- How far do you really have to go back ? Giganews goes back over 6 years. Even with them there is limitations on certain binary groups that all you get is air when you go back that far ,thinking the upload could have gotten corrupt or it was removed. And Its just not there , on any provider I have found and used. So again how far do you really need to go back??

Supernews vs Giganews - I have used both Supernews (2357 days binary retention) vs Giganews (2367 days binary retention) they are pretty close , but when you use both they is no comparison Giganews is way more reliable on every level on basics (forget the extra crap as you said) . If you think about it , they control both , if Giganews allowed anyone to be equivalent , how the hell could charge what they charge. They are better off to close Giganews and flood the market with Supernews
    That is just my thought. Take it or Leave it

In stead of keeping North American providers only , try one of these ....
    EWEKA
    XS USENET
    I use both (switch back and forth every couple of months) and they are fair priced (cheaper than giganews) and I have had great success by reducing to use shitty torrents to find what I want. Or do some research and test a few out yourself. No one has a gun to your head on what you do , and you can cancel a service anytime you want.

DMCA or Takedowns - The problem here is I don't know if something was uploaded to the newsgroup servers a long time back can still be removed if spotted. I am not a technical guy on this subject , but if you try multiple UseNet providers and the files are not there , they are just not there. But I have been lucky with the 2 offshore providers I have suggested and you can choose what you want to do yourself. And to avoid takedowns if you can find a provider that doesn't have them sooner or later , let me know.

I really have found that Astraweb can be temperamental and Giganews more consistent. They both get spurts on takedowns , nothing you can do.

6. Newsgroups   -   #66
    Have to echo Hypatia's sentiments here, I won't support UNS' current practices. So that precludes Eweka and XS Usenet

However, if you know which server/backbone your favorite poster's content originates from, you *could* get a subscription with that provider. Wouldn't have to wait 15-20 minutes for propagation. Probably pretty cheaply too.

7. Newsgroups   -   #67
    Many servers no longer list a 'trace' in their headers, although both Astra and Giga both still do; I believe all of the Highwinds no longer do ( definatly Blocknews doesn't).

8. Newsgroups   -   #68
    Many servers no longer list a 'trace' in their headers, although both Astra and Giga both still do; I believe all of the Highwinds no longer do ( definatly Blocknews doesn't).
    How do they deal with spammers, CP posters etc without X-Trace then?

9. Newsgroups   -   #69
    Just because they hide it from their users doesn't mean it doesn't exist somewhere 'in the system'.

10. Newsgroups   -   #70
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    So what is the benefit (not being a smart ass I really don't know , and would like too?)??
    And how do you use this information for our benefit??
    What software do you need to search or benefit??

I have been doing this for many years and I am old school and I really don't look into who owns who or any of that stuff. It is not going to change If something isn't working the way you want , I do some research on the net or other NZB sites and I try out new providers That they suggest , local or offshore , and some work for a short time and some work longer. I am not locked in to who I use I don't owe them and they don't owe me , so yes , it is a little inconvenient , but think of what we are doing here , it is not all Kosher... Plus someone enlighten me that I am in Canada , so when an a American show is posted (and it is amazing I never see a takedown on a UK or Australian show ,or movie , and I download some , Hmmmmm), there is a different time zone in the UK or Australia or Europe , so if there is a takedown , Us in north America we have a better chance of beating the takedown and getting the movie or show we want.
    I remember reading along time ago (someone can correct me if it changed) these host servers are not just used for this shit. These severs are used to store bank information , stock information ,etc. etc. , and companies pay for chunks of the server to store there information , and block it out for everyone they don't want to access it. I would think it is the same instance , some providers unblock the access , and some don't . But it still doesn't change that you have to find a provider that gives you what you want. And don't forget even in the older days when you loaded all the headers , there was corrupt files then , and anyone who goes back 6 years it happens. Thank G-D for re-posters!!. And you are seeing a lot more multiple post (maybe not here as much but private or paid nzb sites) of these shows and movies and they are posting them in various binary groups with different names. That is helping.

Thanks Beck38

Just because they hide it from their users doesn't mean it doesn't exist somewhere 'in the system'.

Here is the real question to ask?????

Does someone know which web site is actually , really doing all of the work first , by making and posting the original "NZB" link from the binary group itself (there has to be a origin)??
    I would have to assume there is a group that is scouting the raw binaries simply because the names of the files are out in left field now , I also assume the only way would be the NFO file located with it. how else is it possible???
    I think that would be great information and if the price was right I would join there in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by shaina; 04-11-2015 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast