Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: "america's Ignorance Of The World Is Now A

Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    It did take a while

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    BANNED
    well i hate when people outsie of america agrees with what are government does its jut not true

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Yes RF, all those things you mention may be factually correct, but you overstate their influence, I think.
    Regional differences exist, but we are a very fluid people and it is increasingly rare to find someone who has been rooted in one spot their entire life.
    I myself have lived everywhere from the Deep South all the way up into Canada. From one coast to the other.

All of the influences you make note of certainly exist, but in my experience only add a distinctive flavor to a relatively uniform whole.

Of course I could be wrong.
    My experience also teaches me that we tend to seek out our peers, no matter where we may be. I think that certainly holds true in this forum and in this section in particular. World Events has a fairly rigorous self-selection mechanism at work, those who can't/won't cut it drop away quickly. I don't mean that we all agree, just that there is a common level of intelligence, logical coherence and sheer bull headedness displayed.
    I am always amused by the perceptions of some of the lounge habitues that this is a fearsome place, to be avoided at all costs.
    If they only knew.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    Well, as I explained, we have a lot more in common than Federal Taxes. You are correct that there are regional variances, with distinctive populations and unique cuisine, but no group will have any trouble telling you what America is about (freedom of the individual to live as he sees fit).

I prefer to think of us a a stew, with beef as the common stock. The regional contributions are simply spices which add to the overall complexity of the flavor, but not changing the fact that it is still a "beef" stew.

Remember that most American families, particularly those with college graduates, are living all over the country, rather than living near to and doing as what their fathers are fore-fathers had done. This country-wide cross-pollination is very evident to me and homogenizing us.

It is like during football or baseball season, you could go anywhere in the country and ask, who do you think is going to win it all this year. People everywhere would voice strong but differing opinions, but none would say, "what is this game you speak of?"

Anyway, we are a unique amalgam of souls, and there are regional differences, but we are not just people sharing a common passport. That was my point.

Edit: Clocker's post was not present when I was typing mine, kind of an eerie similarity.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    You're not hungry are you hobbes?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    Poster
    Originally posted by hobbes@25 November 2003 - 20:28

It is like during football or baseball season, you could go anywhere in the country and ask, who do you think is going to win it all this year. People everywhere would voice strong but differing opinions, but none would say, "what is this game you speak of?"

I still shake my head and wonder at the game ya'll call football down there

Fields are too short and sissified for our players

Can't wait for the commercials so's I can see some live action movement on the screen.

But you got some damn fine women and corn liquor that make up for all that

Just do something to stop those damn tampon commercials and you might be able to sell it to the rest of the world.

You know I'm kidding, right?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    Poster
    Are you hiding in here somewhere clocker? I see your name but not your post.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    Hiding?
    Oh no.

I just don't think I can top hobbes's "acquired taste" post.

That is a classic.

I was very tempted by the tampon setup, but, nope, I got nothin'.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Clocker-

I was struck just now by this thought:

"WILD TURKEY"

Impressions?

I think that would solve that small dilemma I spoke of earlier.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    Works for me.

Soda on the side?

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast