Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Astraweb better than Tweak/Bucket combined?

I paid $19.23 total for 3 months of Tweak and Usenetbucket. Although Tweak is highwinds now, I still am able to grab more from it than Bucket. Combined they are working very well and its been a while since I had an incomplete download. I would like to get my monthly costs down a little but I'm also considering going up to the $15/2 months offer from Astraweb. I max out around 2.2 MB/s with my Tweak/Bucket combo. Would Astraweb be much faster? Would posts last longer on Astra before being taken down?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    What is your ISP connection rated at? Astraweb should be faster and I haven't had problem with take downs for the past year but I guess it all depends on what your trying to grab.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    When I do a speedtest I get around 55 mbps. Each of my accounts is capped at 10 mbps so I've got a lot more bandwidth I could use.

But it seems like there's always complaining about Astraweb.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    I download most stuff at 11MB. When I had VPS it could achieve 50+MB but it was a bit different situation coz the server was in the Netherlands data center.
    However, you should check routes to their servers (tracert command) so that you could see how many hops are between ur ISP and their servers
    Last edited by Hypatia; 03-12-2015 at 11:48 AM.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by cardboardbox View Post
    When I do a speedtest I get around 55 mbps. Each of my accounts is capped at 10 mbps so I've got a lot more bandwidth I could use.

But it seems like there's always complaining about Astraweb.
    Astraweb gives you 20 connections for the $15/2 months package and you should easily be able to max your internet connection.Only problem is slow downs sometimes at nights and like Sunday nights.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Poster
    To get things way down you could do frugal Usenet plus an astraweb block for stuff over their retention. Only really works well if you download lots under 300/days though but if you do the monthly cost can't be beat.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    I'm getting a fair few incomplete grabs off astraweb lately, frustrating to say the least. Have to say it's only on older grabs but even then only talking few weeks old !!

Will be looking around for a new provider once my current sub runs out.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    I am now in a similar predicament. Looking to move away from Astraweb and Tweak has now changed for the worse from what I hear. I guess years of doing the same thing was bound to run dry. Any other thoughts on Bucket or others?

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Up until a few weeks ago when I left Tweak, it was still very good. Bucket is awful. Maybe not quite highwinds awful but very close.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    This provider is quite good if you are not looking for extreme retention/speed (+-900 days) : www.smsusenet.nl
    Wait for them to activate the summer rate "Zomer Piek: 20Mbit/Dal: 30Mbit". For EUR 25 you can get 1600 credits. This will last you 165 days (+- EUR 4.5 a month). To keep the same rate make sure you buy more credit before your 165 days has ended. You can pay with PayPal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast