Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Terminator Genisys

megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I honestly did not know who Jason Clarke is going into the show. I did have an urge to punch him in the face, so I suspect he had a hand in the script.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

2. Movies & TV   -   #12
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Terrible casting. Kyle Reese isn't supposed to be a meatball with douche-face. Emilia Clarke lacks Linda Hamilton's physique, and just doesn't seem nearly as tough as Sarah Connor should be.

I really don't know what's going on with John Connor either. The actor is more or less an unknown to me, which helped, but I didn't care much for that depiction of the character, either way.

I can definitely get behind Doctor Who being in the movie, though!1

For me, it helped that I hadn't watched a single trailer, and that my expectations were low after the previous movie.

I was pleasantly surprised by the intitial 1984 bits, and actually liked the 1984 Arnold/terminator, but after that, it went about as well as I'd expected.

Not good, but no surprises there, and I was still mildly entertained.
    Last edited by Snee; 08-10-2015 at 10:43 AM. Reason: words

3. Movies & TV   -   #13
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    Terrible casting. Kyle Reese isn't supposed to be a meatball with douche-face. Emilia Clarke lacks Linda Hamilton's physique, and just doesn't seem nearly as tough as Sarah Connor should be.
    I don't think every movie has to be identical in how it tells a story,Cameron proved that with both T2 and Aliens two of the best action films ever but I do think that in a series there are certain things that you are bound to live by.

Kyle Reese circa The Terminator was a soldier from a desperate future who knew nothing of love, only terror and death who sort of irrationally clung to this picture of a woman as his one hope. I get none of that from Geniysys.Geez he's not even slightly uncomfortable around her or his situation.I don't think it would take a lot of tweaking or another ten million dollars in FX to convey that fact.

Cameron himself has said that the first Terminator was about a weak woman learning to be strong. After ten years of living and supposedly readying herself for the future this is suppose to be the "strong" version.
    Linda Hamilton sold it,Emilia Clarke basically looked like she worked at Bloomingdale's only lessen battle-hardened. Like maybe pick up a weight or something.

As for Matt Smith,normally I would say this is a very good thing but since he is roughly a ten times more interesting actor than any of the schmucks in this and yet was relegated to 30 seconds of being a special effect, not so much.

That's the difference between England and the US.Matt Smith couldn't never be a leading man in the US because he doesn't conform to a certain aesthetic. Instead he get to suffer through talentless idiots like Jai Whateverhisnameis.
    Respect my lack of authority.

4. Movies & TV   -   #14
    Matt Smith would have embarrassed all the other leads had they given him more than those 34 seconds. He certainly packed more power in that clip than was contained in the entirety of the movie. Fact. I cannot see anyone who's being honest saying differently.

Heck, I was tempted to rewatch that clip a second time already. The TARDIS would not be able to take me far enough forward in time for me to want to see Genesys again.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. Movies & TV   -   #15
    I've really got nothing against special effects but they seem to spend an inordinate amount of money on them and they really have shit to do with whether a movie is good or not.

6. Movies & TV   -   #16
    There was a time when SFX could blow people away with things we'd never imagined possible, and that added to the movie experience. Now there isn't anything that will blow us away more than a great, imaginative script with passionate, well cast actors (and actresses with great tits and minimal dialog).

I don't believe anyone involved in Genisys gave a fuck. Unfortunately, as long as these turds (somehow) manage to rake in the gazillions, we will continue to be inundated with them.

I still have hopes of Hollywood getting handed its ass by ambitious film producers from around the globe. These studios are growing, as their budgets increase, hopefully we'll see more Slumdog-level films.

7. Movies & TV   -   #17
    Special effects are there to allow a director to tell the story the way he/she envisions it.They were never intended to "be" the story.When that happens you get tripe like Battleship.

8. Movies & TV   -   #18
    While we are on the topic of SFX used appropriately, I've been meaning to bring up Ex-Machina. One of the more satisfying movie experiences I've had in a while. Alicia Vikander is one to watch. She's had some good european roles prior to this and she will be in The Man from UNCLE this summer.

9. Movies & TV   -   #19
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Kyle Reese circa The Terminator was a soldier from a desperate future who knew nothing of love, only terror and death who sort of irrationally clung to this picture of a woman as his one hope. I get none of that from Geniysys.Geez he's not even slightly uncomfortable around her or his situation.I don't think it would take a lot of tweaking or another ten million dollars in FX to convey that fact.
    I think he just looks off. I could believe the original Kyle Reese being a struggling, suffering survivor from some post-apocalytic wasteland, but the new guy looks like his struggle is mostly about loading up on carbs and going to the gym. He's got none of the intensity, either.

10. Movies & TV   -   #20
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    This is a lot of back and forth for film that seems to have raped everyone here.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast