Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia equivalent of the MSI R9 270X?

Mr. Mulder's Avatar pepper your angus BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Skipping a long boring story, my gfx card is fucked and I'm done with AMD/ATI now

I want to get the Nvidia equivalent of what I had - I understand there are no true equivalents when comparing the two brands, given the different technologies they use. But I'd rather be recommended something slightly better than slightly worse...

I don't care about future proofing, there's pretty much only two games I play - Fallout 4 and GTA5 - my R9270x 2GB handled FO4 on High Settings with ease (it recommended Ultra but there was noticeable stuttering in large, built up areas) and it handled GTA5 on mid to high... what should I get Nvidia wise as a replacement?

Again, the above is all I'd use it for as far as recent games go - I don't need a super expensive high end card.

I've used a popular Internet search engine to pose this question but nearly every result contradicts the other and I trust you guys, not with my life or virginity but with my hardware...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    In the 200- 300 dollar range you're basically looking at either the GTX 960 or a newer model 760 with the Maxwell technology.

Or not as like you I'm basically basing my opinion on what I found on the internet.That said you probably won't get anything better unless you want to double your budget and even then you won't be able to play everything on ultra with VR capabilities until you spend 1000 bucks which is frankly ludicrous unless your name is Bill Gates.If you are then you're old and funny looking so it's still a win/lose situation.

Whatever you get just be aware that prices and quality vary greatly between brands even on seemingly identical cards.
    Respect my lack of authority.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Wurd to your words. This looks like it might do the job.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B012...buL&ref=plSrch

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Yeah 960 seems to be the better card, just depends if you're willing to ante up the extra squid or not.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

This review is from: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 02G-P4-2966-KR 2GB SSC GAMING w/ACX 2.0+, Whisper Silent Cooling Graphics Card

Pros: Decent price (bought when newegg had it on sale). Pretty quiet. Low power consumption. Able to handle every game I've thrown at it. Easy install. Crushes anything current gaming consoles have.
    Cons: None that I can see thus far. Will update review if anything happens.
    Other Thoughts: I upgraded from a radeon 7770 1gb card. There were no issues going from AMD to Nvidia. My goal was to see an improvement in fallout 4. Went from low-med settings with my 7770 (sometimes dipping as low as 25fps) to now being able to run on ultra with a steady 60fps. No regrets. Really digging the card. Thank you EVGA & newegg.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 12-22-2015 at 05:22 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    EVGA GTX960 Superclocked or GTFO.

yo

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Wurd? Is that the best version of a 960? I'm Def gonna make the jump from 2GB to 4GB this time, you know how those GTA settings are

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I love EVGA SC cards. The last 2 cards I've had fit that and they've been gangster as fk. I have this one right now and would like a second for SLI but I can't find that exact one.

I really don't like buying GPU's very often bc they depreciate so fast.

I've also had my eye on an LG ultrawide 34" curved monitor for a while now. I currently have 2 x 24" Dell Ultrasharps that I may be selling off and making the switch. Don't really feel like dropping an extra $500 on a GPU too.

yo

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    That EVGA 4GB equivalent is like £50 moar than the vanilla one I linked to, is it worth it lyke? I never OC anything, is it that it comes configured with moar jiggawotts out of the box?

You could move your ultra sharps so that they sit more at a curved angle, I just saved you $100,0000

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    From what I can find the only real possible need of the 4 GB is if you have a monitor that runs native resolutions of over 1080p or if like skiz you run dual monitors.

Of course the problem is that on the internet everyone's an expert even if they aren't.

Links to some stuff that you will skim though and probably ignore.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...-vs-4gb-review

They tested games all take ridiculous amount of graphics power.I have a fairly high end card and Assassin's Creed suggests I should play on low.I told it to fuck off and I play on high anyway, the racist.

http://techreport.com/review/27806/f...ds-overclocked

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...0-2gb-4gb.html

If you want to know what I'd do and taking into account you don't and that I really don't know what I'm talking about, then I'd opt for the "better" card if the price difference isn't a significant one and just as long as it doesn't exceed whatever vague budget I've already set in my head knowing that's already a stupid amount.

Technology is like Chinese food, even if you get what you want and at the time it was very satisfying, sooner than later it's going still to leave you with that empty feeling.

Also Merry Christmas because......
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 12-23-2015 at 05:43 PM. Reason: I spent like ten minutes on this so you'd think I could get it right the first time.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by Idol
    "640K is more memory than anyone will ever need on a computer,"
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast