Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm New At This Bitorrent Thing

muchspl2
    http://www.dessent.net/btfaq/#speed

also do you have a router/firewall you might need to open up ports, and if your running xp, it also has a built in firewall
    http://www.haxial.com/faq/routerconfig/winxp/

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    hm.....well...i read that other faq that you sent me earlier, .......... i'm not too computer literate, so i don't know how to fuck around with those "ports" to do stuff........man, 1 kb a sec.....fuck this shit...........

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Originally posted by mikenmike0001@26 November 2003 - 21:19
    SLOWEST PIECE OF CRAP
    i'm getting a file at 87kb/sec right now.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    and you have dsl? is opening up ports a safe thing or is that like weakening myself for hackers? i'm using win 2000

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    yeah, dsl.

it depends a lot on which file you're getting. bittorrent creates very small networks, usually only a few hundred people per file, rather than millions of share folders like kazaa. you should pay attention to the number of people that the webpage says are uploading & downloading the file. the more people in total, the faster you'll get the file. and sometimes it just starts off slow. it can take a while for the transfer to speed up-- you will eventually get connected to more people.

try to stick to popular files, ignore the ones that don't have many people trading, and try to have a little patience. bittorrent is not a perfect program, but it does work really well when you figure out how the system works.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    oh alright......it's just that it's fustrating seeing dsl going that slow with this thing, that is supposedly supposed to be "all good" and all fast and all, and i'm getting this movie, which is still pretty new and there's like 129 seeds for the divx one.......shessh, how many people do you need to have a decent connection? i only got 5kb sec download and 10 kb upload.....what the hell...........that's like numbers that a 56k person should have.....or something........

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    muchspl2
    if you have a router or firewall you need to configure it

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Fuck all this Bitorrent bull shit that shit aint neven as fast as MIRC but hey thats my opinion try MIRC and see how that goes
    [ gs removed the sig, it was 1455.14 KB lol ]

HELL YEAH!!!!!!

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    muchspl2
    he is having trouble with BT, good luck

but I do get the fastest speeds consentingly on irc

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Chame1eon's Avatar Super Freak
    Originally posted by muchspl2@27 November 2003 - 01:38
    but I do get the fastest speeds consentingly on irc
    Yeah, i always try irc first (Noob Irc Help) then bittrorent, but their both faster than Kazza for movis and software.

BTW I've been using bittorent @ suprnova and 90% of the time after the download completes it says complete then continues to downlopad for about 30 seconds before saying complete again, other times it does the same thing, but never completes.
    I only licked you for the salt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast