Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Case Design

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    He's Canadian, isn't he?

Perhaps you should have a word with him.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #62
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by clocker@30 November 2003 - 12:29
    He's Canadian, isn't he?

Perhaps you should have a word with him.
    Over some beer's and a hockey game......

Just poking.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #63
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Originally posted by _John_Lennon_+29 November 2003 - 05:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (_John_Lennon_ @ 29 November 2003 - 05:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@29 November 2003 - 00:03
    I was thinking somewhat along those lines, John.

A feat not possible in a normal case due to the PCI slots.
    I know I dont use my bottom 3 PCI slots so it would fit on mine. [/b][/quote]
    Yeah, but then your PSU would be so close to your graphics card...not good
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

4. Software & Hardware   -   #64
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Hey clocker... Just for you&#33; http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/k/l/klh340/

5. Software & Hardware   -   #65
    lynx's Avatar .
    Following up on the idea of heat disposal in a different area, I suppose the next step would be to use some sort of refrigeration unit. A small household freezer would be ideal, with a couple of holes drilled through the side for pipework and the radiator placed inside.

The drawback to this is the low temps involved in the freezer. Using water as the transfer medium would not be practical, even with antifreeze, and I personally think that alcohol is too flamable to be a safe alternative.

So I was thinking along the lines of using silicone based oil instead. Although it can be a little messy if spilt (to say the least), it has a relatively high flashpoint and a high heat capacity. More importantly it is non-conductive. A drawback is it&#39;s higher viscosity, so it is essential that a centrifugal type pump is used, rather than a gear pump. A household central heating pump would be ideal.

I&#39;ve been wondering where I could put such a freezer, and it has just struck me that the loft space immediately above would be ideal. There&#39;s already power up there, all I need is a small hole in the ceiling for the pipework. Better still, these sort of units are best unpressurised, so some sort of open bath is necessary. Obviously this is best at the top of the system, so a small tank sitting on top of the freezer would fit the bill.

All this is going to take a while, and I&#39;ll have to find out where we used to get silicone oil, so any results are likely to be some time away even if it is feasible.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #66
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@30 November 2003 - 20:58
    Hey clocker... Just for you&#33; http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/k/l/klh340/
    Did someone say "Finding Nemo"?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #67
    racer II's Avatar Poster
    Lol @
    System:
    LANPARTY UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
    Xfx 7900gt extreme
    2x Maxtor 250gb sata
    2x Maxtor 80gb (p)ata
    2x 512mb mem , dual channel
    Tagan 580w psu
    Coolermaster stacker case
    Zalman reserator 1

8. Software & Hardware   -   #68
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    actually if you are going to get a mini fridge, (or freezer or whatever) probably the best thing to do is simply put it all in there, minus the case of course.. just put it all inside.... a stylish Bawls cooler with a comp in it... hehehehe

but if you just want to put the radiater in it, then might i remind you that you gett to choose the temps in those things via a dial somewhere in the back... so you don&#39;t have to have subzero temps, just really cold temps... as cold as you want temps... lol

9. Software & Hardware   -   #69
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    some nice ideas places, i was thinking about my own case to, but its alot of work involved,

another idea kind of on the lines as lynx.

if u are putting it up in the attic, why not dip the radiator in the water tank if u have one, as this will be pretty cool, and no need for extra noise etc. since the tank gets water through it quite quick, toilets, using water, showers baths etc and since it fed staright fromt he mains pipe.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #70
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    lynx,
    Look into aircraft brake fluid, it has some very interesting properties and may fit the bill.

VB,
    An interesting effort, but I wonder why the fish tank is purely decorative instead of doing some work?

SciMan & Lynx,

I&#39;ve been looking into "dorm refridgerators" ( basically just very small units) as a method of cooling the radiator. Might work, and they are cheap.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast