Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Possible New Project

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by lynx@3 December 2003 - 19:09
    The spelling and grammar here appals me too.

Anyone got any stats on stainless steel?
    I suspect it's properties for a case are going to be crap, but I know someone who can do the work if it's worthwhile.
    I use stainless extensively in my clockwork and I love it.

Weight would be an issue.
    Maybe an aluminum skeleton with stainless panels would be good.

What does your friend do with it?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    clocker, u job doesn't look cheap. that case there at least 100. and ur radiator and other stuff gonna make another hundred or two. r u sure u got da dough?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by clocker+5 December 2003 - 06:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 5 December 2003 - 06:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@3 December 2003 - 19:09
    The spelling and grammar here appals me too.

Anyone got any stats on stainless steel?
    I suspect it&#39;s properties for a case are going to be crap,&nbsp; but I know someone who can do the work if it&#39;s worthwhile.
    I use stainless extensively in my clockwork and I love it.

Weight would be an issue.
    Maybe an aluminum skeleton with stainless panels would be good.

What does your friend do with it? [/b][/quote]
    My current case is all steel ATM, so switching to stainless wouldn&#39;t add that much weight if I stuck to the same guage. I was more interested in it&#39;s thermal properties.

My friend has a small stainless steel fabrication company. He&#39;s semi-retired now and his son more or less runs the company. I wouldn&#39;t be able to get access to equipment (hell, I&#39;m lousy at metalwork anyway), but given a good set of drawings his company can make just about anything.

Your post about cooling the back of the motherboard took the wind out of my sails a little. You may recall I was thinking about mounting the hd on the reverse side of the mobo backplane, but if that&#39;s getting hot from the cpu it may not be too good.

Then your comments about having a sliding backplane gave me an idea - why not have two sliding backplanes with a gap between them. The extra backplane would be fitted the opposite way round and have the mounting points for hd&#39;s.

Then drill holes where you want cooling and mount a radial fan to blow air into the gap. This could provide cooling for both the hd&#39;s and the back of the mobo at the same time.

Comments?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    It&#39;s a concept, lynx.

No way of knowing without trying it out unfortunately.

I think that skeletonizing (clock term for cutting away all unnecessary metal) the motherboard mounting wall might have a big impact without the need for a fan at all.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123