Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Principles Of Overclocking

Originally posted by abu_has_the_power+12 December 2003 - 02:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (abu_has_the_power @ 12 December 2003 - 02:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigdawgfoxx@11 December 2003 - 09:17
    Well I have also heard that the 2.4C is the best P4 to OC. They even use it as an example in Clockers link.
    glad someone agrees with me. thanks bigdawg.

yes, read all the oc websites and forums. everyone says 2.4c is the most flexible ocer

i&#39;m a member of forums.extremeoverclocking.com

and pretty much everyone there (amazing computer builders and all work with comps 24/7) agrees that the 2.4c is the easiest and best to oc, out of all the p4s [/b][/quote]
    Well abu, you are right and you are wrong.

Firstly, let me discuss how you are right. If you want to reach a clock speed of about 3 GHz then yes, the 2.4c is a wise choice. That is because then you reach FSB speeds of approximately 1 GHz, which is great if your memory can even handle that in the first place.

However, if you want to go above 3 GHz then you should choose a higher natively clocked chip as you will have more room with the front side bus to speed up. you see?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by adamp2p+12 December 2003 - 02:31--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (adamp2p @ 12 December 2003 - 02:31)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@12 December 2003 - 02:59
    <!--QuoteBegin-bigdawgfoxx
    @11 December 2003 - 09:17
    Well I have also heard that the 2.4C is the best P4 to OC. They even use it as an example in Clockers link.

glad someone agrees with me. thanks bigdawg.

yes, read all the oc websites and forums. everyone says 2.4c is the most flexible ocer

i&#39;m a member of forums.extremeoverclocking.com

and pretty much everyone there (amazing computer builders and all work with comps 24/7) agrees that the 2.4c is the easiest and best to oc, out of all the p4s
    Well abu, you are right and you are wrong.

Firstly, let me discuss how you are right. If you want to reach a clock speed of about 3 GHz then yes, the 2.4c is a wise choice. That is because then you reach FSB speeds of approximately 1 GHz, which is great if your memory can even handle that in the first place.

However, if you want to go above 3 GHz then you should choose a higher natively clocked chip as you will have more room with the front side bus to speed up. you see? [/b][/quote]
    perhaps u&#39;d be amazed at this:
    http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showth...hreadid=204508

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@12 December 2003 - 08:37
    also have a look at this:

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/poll.php?act...ults&pollid=195
    I looked at both and I am trying to tell you that to do that you need some serious cooling for the memory and the fsb. I would suggest getting the 2.6 or 2.8 model so you would not need as many fans or water cooling units.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Originally posted by adamp2p+12 December 2003 - 02:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (adamp2p @ 12 December 2003 - 02:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power@12 December 2003 - 08:37
    also have a look at this:

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/poll.php?act...ults&pollid=195
    I looked at both and I am trying to tell you that to do that you need some serious cooling for the memory and the fsb. I would suggest getting the 2.6 or 2.8 model so you would not need as many fans or water cooling units. [/b][/quote]
    yea. of course. a lot of those people have wc. i&#39;m getting wc if i oc that much. but not likely. maybe for my next rig

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    Water cooling is my next step on both my current PCs, and my new project sub box pc, but I&#39;m waiting until after Christmas, need to buy Christmas presents for others before presents for myself

However I&#39;m possibly thinking about trying homemade refrigeration cooling, for my project pc. Inside that sub box will most likely get really hot, I&#39;ve got the port holes, but I&#39;m going to need cooling beyond that.

Still haven&#39;t decided on what Cpu/mobo combination I&#39;m going to use yet. I still have time to decide though, won’t be ordering anything for at least 2 to 3 weeks. So by then I should be ready, and have everything planned out.
    Actually I&#39;m thinking about the Athlon 64, but at this point, it&#39;s pointless to buy one, most likely it won&#39;t be until mid-summer of 2004 before you start seeing 64 bit computing really getting supported.

Just realized this is about OCing, and I&#39;ve went on about other things for a long time now, so just to bring it back around, on topic.
    I will oc whatever CPU I go with; I&#39;d say it will probably end up being an AMD though. Last time I used an Intel chip was a PII 333 MHz.

In those days overclocking meant setting switches and/or jumpers, sooooo much easier now. Which really might be the reason clocker saw fit to post this article.
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Originally posted by bob_the_alien@12 December 2003 - 03:05
    Water cooling is my next step on both my current PCs, and my new project sub box pc, but I&#39;m waiting until after Christmas, need to buy Christmas presents for others before presents for myself

However I&#39;m possibly thinking about trying homemade refrigeration cooling, for my project pc. Inside that sub box will most likely get really hot, I&#39;ve got the port holes, but I&#39;m going to need cooling beyond that.

Still haven&#39;t decided on what Cpu/mobo combination I&#39;m going to use yet. I still have time to decide though, won’t be ordering anything for at least 2 to 3 weeks. So by then I should be ready, and have everything planned out.
    Actually I&#39;m thinking about the Athlon 64, but at this point, it&#39;s pointless to buy one, most likely it won&#39;t be until mid-summer of 2004 before you start seeing 64 bit computing really getting supported.

Just realized this is about OCing, and I&#39;ve went on about other things for a long time now, so just to bring it back around, on topic.
    I will oc whatever CPU I go with; I&#39;d say it will probably end up being an AMD though. Last time I used an Intel chip was a PII 333 MHz.

In those days overclocking meant setting switches and/or jumpers, sooooo much easier now. Which really might be the reason clocker saw fit to post this article.
    dude. not saying amd is bad. but amd got same and sometimes worse scores than the 3.2. lol. it&#39;s 500. if u want to buy it, wait till next year. cheaper if u still want to stick with it

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by bob_the_alien@12 December 2003 - 01:05

Not really Bob.
    The main reason I posted this link was to try and steer the emphasis away from stark numbers and more in the direction of the underlying process.
    Understanding why you are doing something and what the resulting numbers mean.
    After all, it&#39;s the journey, not the destination, that matters.

I am feeling very mystical this AM...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    BANNED
    oh it got pinned :teehee:

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    lol, this is actually a good pinned topic, something that poeple will actually look at, and clocker can have the pride and satisfaction, that that 11 year old lying SOB, will look at this thread and see why, and not the how, that will cause that little deprived boy, to work hard in life and be succesfull at OCing things.. like toasters...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast