Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Asap

Poster
    Originally posted by Spindulik@16 December 2003 - 12:32
    I comfortable with XP Corp. SP1 for now. The NTFS is better than the FAT32. It does everything I need it to do. I don't have my PC setup as a server. I tweaked a lot of the spyware out of XP. I can do DVD movie editing in real time. My capture card works perfect in XP. All of my Unreal Tournament games and levels work great too. Drivers are readily available for my hardware.

I would like an operating system that uses only the resources that I actually need. No spyware. Antivirus software. Supports GeForce and ATI drivers and every hardware device I have. 3D video games, video editing and all of the goodies. And I want one road, nonstop, that goes directly from my driveway to where I work. Is this too much?
    so you want movies and games. I'd hardly call that advanced. Which was my point in the first place.

Depends what you wanna do. If all you want is yahoo and a jukebox, then XP is fine.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Poster
    Originally posted by balamm+16 December 2003 - 15:50--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (balamm &#064; 16 December 2003 - 15:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    so you want movies and games. I&#39;d hardly call that advanced. Which was my point in the first place.

[/b]

What do you define as "advanced computer skills"?

Back to my original question. What OS do you recommend? So I can edit movies, do my autocad and graphics, play games and surf the internet? All of the hardware needed and drives that match the OS too.

I have the following....

LAN card
    Capture card
    printer
    scanner
    sound card
    GeForce VGA card
    CDR burner
    DVD burner
    FAXmodem

I may add other devices later.

<!--QuoteBegin-balamm
    @16 December 2003 - 15:50

so you want movies and games. I&#39;d hardly call that advanced. Which was my point in the first place.
    [/quote]

I like movies and games, but my advanced computer skills supersede that. Therefore that was &#39;not your point&#39;. Your point was "advanced computer skills" aimed at why &#39;would I use XP&#39;. Well, as an advanced user yourself, you should know that you have to be advancely skilled to use XP and make it work the way you want it to.

"Computers and Games". That&#39;s the entertainment portion of what I use my PC for. I also use it for many other things too, like graphic design, autocad, billing, calculations, programming in C/C++ and VB, web design, DATA logging gases, printing, recording pressure calibrations, submitting reports, send/receive FAX, image scanning, photo processing, bar coding and labeling, troubleshooting other computers, backup data, disk burning, EXCEL formulas/macros & address, etc....

I also build computers from scratch. More than I can remember. Most computers that I use are built by me. At home and at work. I know that most people want the newest version of Windows. Only one time I installed LINUX for somebody. I personally like Linux, but usually can&#39;t find drivers for hardware devices that doesn&#39;t have a flaw. I can&#39;t be bothered at the present time to configure drivers for other OS&#39;s when XP is fine for me.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Poster
    Are you familiar with PLCs (Programmable Logic Controllers)? Or DCS? Can you connect a PC to a PLC, using a card (like Allen Bradley&#39;s SLC series) to measure a 4ma to 20ma reading? Can you convert that reading to a percent and and have it show up on a computer screen. Do you know how to set the alarms for high or low level? Do you know about trimming? Have you ever user a HART communicator? Do you know what one is? Do you know what an IP converter is? Can you convert the signal that it puts out into a readable scale? Do you know how to troubleshoot the PC and the software when errors occur?

I can easily do all of the above. From installing instruments in the field to programming software. I have been doing it for years. I get paid to do it. I enjoy it. Many facilities such as power plants, water treatment plants, glycol de-icing systems, chemical plants and wastewater plants are operating right now because of computer work that I contributed to them. The list goes on.

So believe it or not. My advanced computer skills still lead me to using Windows XP, for the current time.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    To tell you the truth, i use windows xp because i cant be fked with drivers for certain things.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    @Spindulik, you&#39;re wasting your time trying to explain the benefits of XP to balamm. He is set in his ways. Time progresses forwards and he will stay back in the dark ages with his outdated OS.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    BANNED
    lol cmon guys....lets just say a person uses the OS that fits the most to him/herself

in my case, its XP.... for some it may be linux...

if u bash em for having something that seems bad to you...its the same as if you&#39;re being racist.... not good

ok? B)

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Poster
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@17 December 2003 - 09:32
    @Spindulik, you&#39;re wasting your time trying to explain the benefits of XP to balamm. He is set in his ways. Time progresses forwards and he will stay back in the dark ages with his outdated OS.
    And you will jump on any shiny new band wagon that comes along. You whore&#33;&#33;

Get a grip on reality, you can do all of that on knoppix.

It&#39;s not a fuckin hockey team or your local high school you&#39;re rooting for, it&#39;s a collection of buggy data assembled by a collection of half baked nerds assisted by their coke habits. Grow up and recognize that.

Yes you "VB" Grow up&#33; You&#39;re never going to get an official jpeg police badge anyway so get over it.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Did I touch a nerve, balamm?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Poster
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@17 December 2003 - 12:32
    Thanks&#33;

All I am saying is, he is doubting my integrity in advanced computer skills. I never said XP is better than LINUX. I like LINUX, I have tried it, and it is very reliable. It is built from the ground up, however something simple like trying to make a new printer to work with LINUX sucks. You have to search and ask questions on finding drivers that work. Usually end up using some homemade software. The software selection (in a store) for LINUX is very limited.

I&#39;d say that all of the power plants that I have worked at, use Windows XP or 2000, right in their control rooms (the same room that Homer Simpson sits around in). Some plants use the "Mark 4 computer system", however, it is still reliant mainly on XP or sometimes 2000.

Other facilities use basic DOS programs, due to fail-safe programming and minimal software drivers.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Poster
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@17 December 2003 - 11:29
    Did I touch a nerve, balamm?
    Always, yes, you always get on everyone&#39;s nerves.

It&#39;s very good that you can begin to see that and explore it though. It&#39;ll make your rehabilitation a little less painfull.

And if you ever really do get all growed up, I can help you learn a little more about subjects like the one that started this thread. Then maybe you can help with real answers too. Instead of just pretending, or bitching about jpegs I mean.

I&#39;m sure jpegs are very important to you and you must have quite a collection of them, but they aren&#39;t all you can do with a computer. Really, it&#39;s true&#33;

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast