Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Switchable Fan Voltage

Most fans nowadays have a thermostat control and low in wattage. Of course voltage is constant. Now in case of overheating fan stops due to high temperature. This is the job of the thermostat.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by camille@17 December 2003 - 00:17
    Most fans nowadays have a thermostat control and low in wattage. Of course voltage is constant. Now in case of overheating fan stops due to high temperature. This is the job of the thermostat.

The fan stops when the cpu gets overheated? somehow I doubt that.

It's hardly wired to stop at high temperatures.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by camille@16 December 2003 - 16:17
    I have seen fans with (alleged) temp sensors that are supposed to speed up/slow down in response to case temps.
    My latest 120mm fan has this feature and just for grins, before installing it, I hooked it to a spare power supply ( how did I ever get by without that?) and used a hairdryer to heat the sensor up.
    Nada.
    Completely ineffective.
    Clip! went the sensor, solder it's two leads together, and viola! full speed- now regulated with my switch.

Camille, I have never run across a fan that does what you suggest, and wouldn't want one if I did.
    I'd much prefer that the fan sacrifice it's little life should case temps rise rather than shutdown in self defense.
    It's the honorable thing for a fan to do.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    I suspect camille is confusing this with P3's, which shut down before meltdown occurs.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by clocker+17 December 2003 - 16:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 17 December 2003 - 16:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-camille@16 December 2003 - 16:17
    I have seen fans with (alleged) temp sensors that are supposed to speed up/slow down in response to case temps.
    My latest 120mm fan has this feature and just for grins, before installing it, I hooked it to a spare power supply ( how did I ever get by without that?) and used a hairdryer to heat the sensor up.
    Nada.
    Completely ineffective.
    Clip&#33; went the sensor, solder it&#39;s two leads together, and viola&#33; full speed- now regulated with my switch.

Camille, I have never run across a fan that does what you suggest, and wouldn&#39;t want one if I did.
    I&#39;d much prefer that the fan sacrifice it&#39;s little life should case temps rise rather than shutdown in self defense.
    It&#39;s the honorable thing for a fan to do. [/b][/quote]
    There are also separate controllers for this thing, those are better.

As for fans with temp-sensors, I have a couple of them too, and I too have done some experimentation, and it works exactly as it&#39;s supposed to, but they&#39;ve only got two speeds, so it&#39;s quite simple.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12