Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Criticism

Poster
    Originally posted by camille+18 December 2003 - 16:46--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (camille @ 18 December 2003 - 16:46)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-J&#39;Pol@18 December 2003 - 20:40
    Camille is a strange name for a brother.

Are you a Frenchman at all.
    Not at all. It&#39;s my penname in my college days. [/b][/quote]
    You are an author - grand.

How do you deal with criticism

2. Lounge   -   #22
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+18 December 2003 - 12:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol @ 18 December 2003 - 12:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by camille@18 December 2003 - 16:46
    <!--QuoteBegin-J&#39;Pol
    @18 December 2003 - 20:40
    Camille is a strange name for a brother.

Are you a Frenchman at all.

Not at all. It&#39;s my penname in my college days.
    You are an author - grand.

How do you deal with criticism [/b][/quote]
    Just so-I was wondering that myself.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. Lounge   -   #23
    mrlessk's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by j2k4@18 December 2003 - 07:11
    Criticism is a very important component of debate.
    And therein lies the rub j2k4. It&#39;s normal when criticized to feel bad....like you&#39;ve been caught doing something you shouldn&#39;t have done. Often, our reactions to criticism stem from when we were children and our parents used to scold us for doing something wrong. As a result, the way in which we were brought up will have a huge impact on our capacity to deal with criticism, constructive or otherwise. This can be applied to most Forums like this one. The immature nature of some manifests in verbal attacks and insults on those simply attempting to make a valid point.

Most of us fail or simply don&#39;t want to acknowledge that criticism might, from time to time, be entirely warranted and justified. Then perhaps we can treat criticism constructively and objectively. We must first however learn how to keep our emotions under control, by accepting criticism not as a form of a personal attack but as a critical comment meant to be constructive.

mrlessk

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Poster
    Originally posted by mrlessk+18 December 2003 - 17:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mrlessk @ 18 December 2003 - 17:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@18 December 2003 - 07:11
    Criticism is a very important component of debate.
    And therein lies the rub j2k4. It&#39;s normal when criticized to feel bad....like you&#39;ve been caught doing something you shouldn&#39;t have done. Often, our reactions to criticism stem from when we were children and our parents used to scold us for doing something wrong. As a result, the way in which we were brought up will have a huge impact on our capacity to deal with criticism, constructive or otherwise. This can be applied to most Forums like this one. The immature nature of some manifests in verbal attacks and insults on those simply attempting to make a valid point.

Most of us fail or simply don&#39;t want to acknowledge that criticism might, from time to time, be entirely warranted and justified. Then perhaps we can treat criticism constructively and objectively. We must first however learn how to keep our emotions under control, by accepting criticism not as a form of a personal attack but as a critical comment meant to be constructive.

mrlessk [/b][/quote]
    An excellent post

I have just criticised your work. By your definition that should make you feel bad.

5. Lounge   -   #25
    mrlessk's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@18 December 2003 - 07:53

An excellent post
    I have just criticised your work. By your definition that should make you feel bad.
    &nbsp; &nbsp;
    On the contrary J&#39;Pol, I find your comments to be pleasantly oxymoronic in that on the one hand you complemented me ("an excellent post") followed by your perception that I should "feel bad". I fail to see the criticism at all. Frankly, I found it uplifting and positive.

Regards,
    mrlessk

6. Lounge   -   #26
    Poster
    Criticism is the act of evaluating or analyzing.

As such I criticized your work, in a positive way.

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Originally posted by camille+18 December 2003 - 15:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (camille &#064; 18 December 2003 - 15:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Just refrain from offensive ideas.[/b]

A good start would be to avoid telling other people what ideas they can or can&#39;t express. There&#39;s a number of posts currently up that I personally find offensive, but that&#39;s my buisness, right?

<!--QuoteBegin-camille
    @18 December 2003 - 13:29
    I just want to ease the tension.[/quote]
    Nothing wrong with that, although I haven&#39;t really noticed any tension. Quite a bit of kidding around, maybe. And a healthy dose of sarcasm, sure.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by mrlessk@18 December 2003 - 12:43

Most of us fail or simply don&#39;t want to acknowledge that criticism might, from time to time, be entirely warranted and justified.&nbsp; Then perhaps we can treat criticism constructively and objectively. We must first however learn how to keep our emotions under control, by accepting criticism not as a form of a personal attack but as a critical comment meant to be constructive.

mrlessk
    Just so-

Might I humbly (or not) submit this forum constitutes a class that is always "in session" relative to your excellently made point?

I have found that the members one begins by butting heads with end up being the ones most worthy of respect, at least the ones who don&#39;t cut and run.

I want people to learn how to disagree; to persuade, if possible or necessary-indeed, how to present an opinion.

And you know what?

It&#39;s working-I&#39;m sure J&#39;Pol and others would agree with me, too; there are members who could not, or would not, venture to express an opinion here, or choose to debate.

Likewise, there are/were those who, to put it mildly, wouldn&#39;t recognize reason or logic if it bit them on the ass.

The quality of content here is ever on the uptick, and intelligence is literally (perhaps I overstate slightly, here ) leaking all over; I must empty my shoes whenever I leave the forum.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by camille@18 December 2003 - 09:39
    Hi to everyone out there. Our board is a file sharing talk. I hope everybody will refrain from criticizing each other. We are all brothers sharing our thoughts to one another.
    From reading some of yer posts I can&#39;t quite see how you could have developed such an aversion to criticism, seeing as how you ought to be used to it by now.

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by camille@18 December 2003 - 02:39
    Hi to everyone out there. Our board is a file sharing talk. I hope everybody will refrain from criticizing each other. We are all brothers sharing our thoughts to one another.
    Is this a criticism of how we post?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast