View Poll Results: Death penalty, are you for or against?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • No i'm against deathpenalty

43 36.44%
  • No, i'm against deathpenalty.. but in some cases i think..... (specify)

27 22.88%
  • Yes, i'm for deathpenalty

44 37.29%
  • No opinion

4 3.39%
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Penalty

Poster
    Originally posted by jetje+18 December 2003 - 23:17--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jetje @ 18 December 2003 - 23:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-J&#39;Pol@18 December 2003 - 23:03
    Can I assume that :

Yes = For It.

No = Against It.
    yes J&#39;Pol that&#39;s how it was ment. Adjusted the poll options now so it&#39;s more clear. thnx [/b][/quote]
    Cheers JJ

A gentleman as ever.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Zap &#39;em all and let god sort &#39;em out I always say.

Exile the vermin away and monitor the island for those trying to escape. If they kill each other, so be it.
    Or better yet televise it, people can&#39;t get enough of reality tv these days.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+18 December 2003 - 22:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol &#064; 18 December 2003 - 22:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by j2k4@18 December 2003 - 23:07
    <!--QuoteBegin-Busyman
    @18 December 2003 - 18:03
    I am for it but only because there is an absence of another punishment......exile.
    I would propose a "jailing" similiar to that of the movie No Escape. The worst of the worst is put on an island with others of their like. Therefore government can wash their hands of murder (which the death penalty is).
    There is barley enough room, at least in the US, for the prisoners we already have.

Exile the vermin away and monitor the island for those trying to escape. If they kill each other, so be it.

I think you&#39;ve hit on it directly, sir.

Unending fear and isolation.

And no access to appeal.

What a comforting thought.
    For what crimes would you advocate this Draconian punishment chaps. [/b][/quote]
    Any crime that would normally get the death penalty. It would merely be a substitute.
    @J&#39;Pol -I know it is harsh but so is death. So in this instance there is no murder-by-government.
    @j2k4 -Unending fear and isolation can be a reality in jail as well as on an island with other convicts. When one is put to death there is no appeals process...they&#39;re dead&#33;&#33;&#33; In America, we would still have the same long, drawn out appeals process that may or may not save a defendant from exile.
    As I said it would be a mere substitution.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Poster
    Originally posted by Busyman+18 December 2003 - 23:37--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Busyman @ 18 December 2003 - 23:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@18 December 2003 - 22:09
    Originally posted by j2k4@18 December 2003 - 23:07
    <!--QuoteBegin-Busyman
    @18 December 2003 - 18:03
    I am for it but only because there is an absence of another punishment......exile.
    I would propose a "jailing" similiar to that of the movie No Escape. The worst of the worst is put on an island with others of their like. Therefore government can wash their hands of murder (which the death penalty is).
    There is barley enough room, at least in the US, for the prisoners we already have.

I think you&#39;ve hit on it directly, sir.

Unending fear and isolation.

And no access to appeal.

What a comforting thought.

For what crimes would you advocate this Draconian punishment chaps.
    Any crime that would normally get the death penalty. It would merely be a substitute. [/b][/quote]
    There is no crime which would normally get the death penalty where I am.

Indeed aren&#39;t there different rules throughout the world for this.

Even if you limit it to the USA, don&#39;t different states have different sentencing policy.

You would really have to be more specific, for the purposes of the debate old bean.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Interesting. My application was very specific. If what I said was a substitute for the DEATH PENALTY and a certain place (such as yours) doesn&#39;t have it then it really doens&#39;t apply does it? If it is the will of the people, they can always bring it to your country can&#39;t they? (I am not familiar with your laws)
    I am guessing you are referring to (in the US) murder and treason.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Poster
    Originally posted by Busyman@18 December 2003 - 23:59
    Interesting. My application was very specific. If what I said was a substitute for the DEATH PENALTY and a certain place (such as yours) doesn&#39;t have it then it really doens&#39;t apply does it? If it is the will of the people, they can always bring it to your country can&#39;t they? (I am not familiar with your laws)
    I am guessing you are referring to (in the US) murder and treason.
    Good point.

You propose substituting the death penalty with your exile, only where the death penalty already exists. I understand that now.

I have no idea which states in the USA have the death penalty, or for what. Though I assume you are correct on the murder and treason front.

Edit - I just realised - you could call it Australia.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Apologies for not being perspicuous.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Poster
    Originally posted by Busyman@19 December 2003 - 00:15
    Sorry, I&#39;m not entirely sure what you mean.

Could you clarify for an old man,

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    oldmancan's Avatar Poster
    A simply question with no easy answer (the best kind).

I support the death penalty as punishment. I do not believe justice is served by government sanctioned murder. Nor do I have complete faith in the metering of justice by the state (any state or government). Likewise, I don&#39;t think every crime carrying the death penalty necessarily warrants it.

I believe in the social contract, I want to be part of this society, so I will abide by its laws. If I break the laws, I will face the consequences. The worst consequence would seem to be that the society continues without the individual.

I see two options here. One, the individual is removed/withdrawls from the society (i.e. imprisonment or exile) and both carry on. The second, the society terminates the individual and carries on.

I think the underlying tenet of the social contract is that the good of the whole superceeds the rights of the individual.

That&#39;s as simple as I can make it.

I know that injustices will occur. I am bothered by that. Although not as much as by injustices that occur when a repeat offender kills another cop, or rapes another baby.

peace omc

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+18 December 2003 - 23:18--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol @ 18 December 2003 - 23:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Busyman@19 December 2003 - 00:15
    Sorry, I&#39;m not entirely sure what you mean.

Could you clarify for an old man, [/b][/quote]
    Apologies again...........easy to understand, clear, comprehensible.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast