Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who Really Caught Saddam?

Poster
    Originally posted by hobbes@23 December 2003 - 01:47
    All I care about is that Saddam is caught, the rest is irrelevant.
    I totally and without reservation agree.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+23 December 2003 - 00:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol @ 23 December 2003 - 00:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-hobbes@23 December 2003 - 01:47
    All I care about is that Saddam is caught, the rest is irrelevant.
    I totally and without reservation agree. [/b][/quote]
    It&#39;s great that Saddam has been caught but I really feel that it is important that future generations know as much truth as possible and not just the spin of whichever government ws in power at the time.

Americans capturing Saddam has been great for Bush and his reelection chances, but how much is spin and how much is truth. This whole war has been fought like this and perhaps we&#39;ll never get all the truth out of it...

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    mrlessk's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@22 December 2003 - 15:33

the whole affair just smacks of the "we saved your ass in world war 2" thinking...
    Is this disputable?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Originally posted by mrlessk+23 December 2003 - 02:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mrlessk @ 23 December 2003 - 02:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-3rd gen noob@22 December 2003 - 15:33

the whole affair just smacks of the "we saved your ass in world war 2" thinking...
    Is this disputable? [/b][/quote]
    last christmas my brother bought me a really nice present
    i was obviously pleased he bought me the present
    however, during the last year, every time he wants me to do something, he says "remember what i got you for christmas" to try and persuade me to help him

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob+23 December 2003 - 04:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3rd gen noob @ 23 December 2003 - 04:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by mrlessk@23 December 2003 - 02:21
    <!--QuoteBegin-3rd gen noob
    @22 December 2003 - 15:33

Is this disputable?
    last christmas my brother bought me a really nice present
    i was obviously pleased he bought me the present
    however, during the last year, every time he wants me to do something, he says "remember what i got you for christmas" to try and persuade me to help him

[/b][/quote]
    Well, what is that bitch giving you this year?
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Originally posted by hobbes@23 December 2003 - 02:34
    Well, what is that bitch giving you this year?
    hopefully some fecking peace and quiet
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Poster
    Originally posted by FatBastard+21 December 2003 - 08:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FatBastard @ 21 December 2003 - 08:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-balamm@21 December 2003 - 20:13
    But it was all coordinated by the brits of course. Every part of it. You know those kashmirgas and Peshmerga can&#39;t do a damn thing without you.
    Another anti-British post? Getting to be quite a habit, eh? [/b][/quote]
    Reading this forum, it get&#39;s easier every day.

(Them that don&#39;t have an agenda understand this. )

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Agendas aside, I&#39;d&#39;ve hoped that, through some happy prism, we could view this section of the forum as a vehicle for curiosity.

A great murderer has been caught, perhaps because of the intracasies and Machiavellian politics that JP prefers to skip. In the few days since Saddam&#39;s capture we&#39;ve felt the shockwaves wash through the world. The deals being struck now are the ones that may lead to future war.

That Saddam is in custody is certainly not all that matters. I just find that view blindly utilitarian and not what I&#39;ve come to expect from JP and Hobbes.

Perhaps we could celebrate the tyrant dethroned in the "Saddam Hussein Captured" thread and ask questions, however impertinent, in this one.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Poster
    Originally posted by chalice@23 December 2003 - 11:54

A great murderer has been caught, perhaps because of the intracasies and Machiavellian politics that JP prefers to skip. In the few days since Saddam&#39;s capture we&#39;ve felt the shockwaves wash through the world. The deals being struck now are the ones that may lead to future war.

That Saddam is in custody is certainly not all that matters. I just find that view blindly utilitarian and not what I&#39;ve come to expect from JP and Hobbes.

It is exactly because of said plotting that he was caught and indeed it is the discussions and agreements that are struck behind closed doors that will shape the future, war or otherwise. That is how it always has been and always will be.

The rhetoric is for public consumption and nothing more. It is sabre rattling at it&#39;s best, simply because people really like it if the goodies wear white hats and the baddies wear black. John Q public has no interest in deals within deals and does not want to know that sometimes we have to take sides with what he perceives to be an enemy. The USA is particularly bad for his. Given that they do not believe they need their allies, heaven forbid they should do secret deals with "enemies".

In short, you are absolutely correct. I can only say that sometimes I get so sick and tired of squabbling and petty nit-picking that I feel like scraping away all of the crap and just saying - That was a good thing that happened - perhaps the sky was an unfortunate shade of grey that day, but I really don&#39;t care.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@23 December 2003 - 13:07
    In short, you are absolutely correct. I can only say that sometimes I get so sick and tired of squabbling and petty nit-picking that I feel like scraping away all of the crap and just saying - That was a good thing that happened - perhaps the sky was an unfortunate shade of grey that day, but I really don&#39;t care.

Yes, my impression was that the thread was started simply to put a pebble in someones shoe. I have nothing to add to JPauls&#39; comments.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast