Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Going To Add Second Hd

Sneepboy's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by ripley02@18 February 2003 - 09:30
    well this is what happened. tell me if i did something wrong. when i opened up the new case i noticed the ide cable on my primary HD has only 2 connectors, 1 for the HD and the other going into the board. so then i opened up the old pc and it had the 2 main IDE connectors but then one in the middle of the cable. so i took both HD's and decided to use the ide cable from the 2nd HD since it had the extra connector. i plugged the main HD into one end of the IDE cable and the 2nd HD into the IDE connector in the middle and then finally the other end going into the board. i made sure all jumpers were set properly since the 2nd was goint to be slave and made sure connections were solid. booted up and get black screen : operating system not found. i cant go any further so i have to turn off and reinstall the main HD. i know i messed up but can someone point out to me where?
    Make sure your bios is set to auto-detect hard drives.

Does your computer start using your Main hard drive on the cable with 2 IDE connectors and the extra hard drive not connected?

If yes, then turn off & connect the extra HD & then restart. What happens then?

If no, maybe it is the cable.

Also, check the jumpers on the hard drives again. I tend to think that is the most likely problem.

Write back with your progress.

Later

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Like Sneepboy said, try that old cable with just your main HD, and make sure you have the correct end plugged into the motherboard (it should only go one way). Also make sure you have it pushed in all the way, sometimes they're really tight. If it still doesn't work, you might need to buy a newer EIDE cable.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123