Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Earthquake In Iran

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Biggles@31 December 2003 - 05:33
    This is a tragic incident and it is heartening to see that people are setting aside politics in order to bring what little help there can be after an event like this.

The Iranian government is apparently willing to let politics trump humanitarian concerns even in a situation like this.
    They have refused American aid and Israeli aid also, I believe.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by clocker+3 January 2004 - 20:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 3 January 2004 - 20:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Biggles@31 December 2003 - 05:33
    This is a tragic incident and it is heartening to see that people are setting aside politics in order to bring what little help there can be after an event like this.

The Iranian government is apparently willing to let politics trump humanitarian concerns even in a situation like this.
    They have refused American aid and Israeli aid also, I believe. [/b][/quote]
    Isn&#39;t that amazing?

What they won&#39;t do in order that they may continue bitching about the U.S.?

Drowning people being picky about the brand name on the life-jacket.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    According to a news report I saw, a US field hospital is up and running in Bam and is much appreciated by both the the people it is serving and the Iranian officials. The minor fracas was over other issues associated with aid at a political level which the Iranians are refusing to participate in. This is not particularly surprising

I don&#39;t know about the Israeli offer of aid but I would be surprised if the Iranians accepted such an offer (if it has been tabled). It is hard to think of two countries more diametrically opposed to each other.

Despite these hiccups a great many Western countries did provide assitance to Iran and it was accepted graciously. It must be remembered that countries like Italy, Turkey and Greece have a lot of experience in dealing with this kind of thing and are very well placed to provide a lot of aid quickly and effectively to a country as close as Iran.

Ulitmately though, there is little one can do in the aftermath of such an event other than assist in providing shelter for the homeless. In a matter of a couple of minutes tens of thousands died. No amount of support can change that fact.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by Biggles@4 January 2004 - 01:49
    According to a news report I saw, a US field hospital is up and running in Bam and is much appreciated by both the the people it is serving and the Iranian officials. The minor fracas was over other issues associated with aid at a political level which the Iranians are refusing to participate in. This is not particularly surprising

I don&#39;t know about the Israeli offer of aid but I would be surprised if the Iranians accepted such an offer (if it has been tabled). It is hard to think of two countries more diametrically opposed to each other.

Despite these hiccups a great many Western countries did provide assitance to Iran and it was accepted graciously. It must be remembered that countries like Italy, Turkey and Greece have a lot of experience in dealing with this kind of thing and are very well placed to provide a lot of aid quickly and effectively to a country as close as Iran.

Ulitmately though, there is little one can do in the aftermath of such an event other than assist in providing shelter for the homeless. In a matter of a couple of minutes tens of thousands died. No amount of support can change that fact.
    It is amazing that, under the circumstances, the bureaucrats still feel compelled to call "time out" in order to play politics.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123