Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 56kbps, Share Or Not

RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    The biggest part of this is that I feel if I have time to download from others, then I have time to upload as well. 56K or not, not sharing is leeching.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Im on a 56-k dialup and I always share my files, mainly because its always a multi-source downloads and their only getting a couple of megabytes off of me. The biggest files im currently downloading is 280 megabytes, and thats about 5-15 megabytes per day.

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Rp do you find that people upload off you quicker than you download from them.

When i was dial up sharing slowed my downloads

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    yea on 56k, there is no seperate DL/UL

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Poster
    56k and happilly sharing all my stuff. Largest file is aprox 700Mb, and it is popular, though most abort as they can't stand the wait. We 56k'ers are a truly patient lot. Try chatting and d/loading with an upload going as well. It takes ages for the text to refresh, and if it's busy you have to scoll back up the page. It makes it really interesting I can tell you

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    Originally posted by Chilly@18 February 2003 - 23:33
    Rp do you find that people upload off you quicker than you download from them.

When i was dial up sharing slowed my downloads
    Actually, It seems my downloads are faster than my uploads. Yes, it does slow my downloads when someone is uploading, it has too, there just isn't enough bandwith to play with.

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Poster
    If you're going to share on a 56k, make sure you're getting >40kilobits/sec login speed or it's FAR more trouble than it's worth. This way you have more speed for everything.

Uploading doesn't directly decrease download speed -- it's just that each piece of the download has to be requested using upload bandwidth... so if your uploads are maxing out your connection, your connection CAN'T reply back to ask for more of a download! This is even horribly true on much faster connections.

For those who dare share on a 56k, this should help your speeds all-around immensely:
    1.Share to only 1 person at a time -- more just slows things down (1 might go at 2.5KB/sec but 2 would only go at 1KB/sec each.)
    2.Turn off optimal bandwidth while idle if it's enabled -- it's broken, don't use it. B)
    3.Set upload bandwidth to 24 kilobits/sec (under advanced settings near the top) -- so v.90 56k modems with a MAX upload speed of 33.6kilobits/sec (4.2KB/sec) -- although probably only getting around 30kilobits/sec actual speed due to poor lines -- will still have some upload bandwidth left.
    4.Don't bother trying to download 5 or more things at once -- just like uploads each additional item will slow the connection down more than you gain from its speed.

If you have a v.92 56k modem, you could probably share ok even at 32 kilobits/sec (4KB/sec) speed -- they have up to 48kilobits/sec upload speed!

Lastly, GET TCP/IP Optimizer (at www.speedguide.net ) -- have it optimize your connection and use it to tweak MTU up to max for your ISP -- windows default is only MTU=576, which is the largest number of bytes that can be sent in a single internet data packet. Your ISP may even allow the LAN MTU max of 1,500! Being able to send packets that are 1,500 bytes in size at a time means that EACH packet's overhead (of about 40 bytes) is less of the overall datastream. (40 bytes is 7% of 576 bytes -- but it's only 2.7% of 1,500 bytes.)

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    Poster
    Originally posted by Switeck@19 February 2003 - 11:29
    If you're going to share on a 56k, make sure you're getting >40kilobits/sec login speed or it's FAR more trouble than it's worth. This way you have more speed for everything.

Uploading doesn't directly decrease download speed -- it's just that each piece of the download has to be requested using upload bandwidth... so if your uploads are maxing out your connection, your connection CAN'T reply back to ask for more of a download! This is even horribly true on much faster connections.

For those who dare share on a 56k, this should help your speeds all-around immensely:
    1.Share to only 1 person at a time -- more just slows things down (1 might go at 2.5KB/sec but 2 would only go at 1KB/sec each.)
    2.Turn off optimal bandwidth while idle if it's enabled -- it's broken, don't use it. B)
    3.Set upload bandwidth to 24 kilobits/sec (under advanced settings near the top) -- so v.90 56k modems with a MAX upload speed of 33.6kilobits/sec (4.2KB/sec) -- although probably only getting around 30kilobits/sec actual speed due to poor lines -- will still have some upload bandwidth left.
    4.Don't bother trying to download 5 or more things at once -- just like uploads each additional item will slow the connection down more than you gain from its speed.

If you have a v.92 56k modem, you could probably share ok even at 32 kilobits/sec (4KB/sec) speed -- they have up to 48kilobits/sec upload speed!

Lastly, GET TCP/IP Optimizer (at www.speedguide.net ) -- have it optimize your connection and use it to tweak MTU up to max for your ISP -- windows default is only MTU=576, which is the largest number of bytes that can be sent in a single internet data packet. Your ISP may even allow the LAN MTU max of 1,500! Being able to send packets that are 1,500 bytes in size at a time means that EACH packet's overhead (of about 40 bytes) is less of the overall datastream. (40 bytes is 7% of 576 bytes -- but it's only 2.7% of 1,500 bytes.)
    Thanks for this info Switeck. Maybe you should post this in the Tips section too. I know alot of users who don't touch their settings so if this helps them and others, nice one

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by RPerry+18 February 2003 - 21:53--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RPerry @ 18 February 2003 - 21:53)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Monkey@18 February 2003 - 21:23
    lol buy DSL. 30 dollars for 768kbps from SBC Yahoo.
    I would gladly pay for DSL if it were offered, unfortunately it isn&#39;t in my area. I still share anyway, mosly like right now, my computer is on at home, while I&#39;m here at work. [/b][/quote]
    Good for you RPerry&#33;
    There are means of sharing with a 56k connection.
    Like leaving it on when your not using it.(as long as you dont get limited hours on your dial-up by your ISP.)
    Sharing one or two uploads,when your not surfing like Shinigami suggested.

If you can Share&#33;

Peace brotherdoobie

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    I always share with my 56k. I think it&#39;s damn rude for me not to, but that&#39;s just my opinion...

I&#39;ve had very few people actually complete a download through me though...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12