Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Censorship

bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by samsamsamsam@29 December 2003 - 02:33
    If anyone ever feels that something posted here is out of line, then do feel free to PM a moderator and make your opinion heard.

Lamsey - your box is full!
    How the hell do you know that Lamsey's box is full. Is wee mouse aware of this.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Originally posted by bigboab+29 December 2003 - 20:42--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigboab @ 29 December 2003 - 20:42)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-samsamsamsam@29 December 2003 - 02:33
    If anyone ever feels that something posted here is out of line, then do feel free to PM a moderator and make your opinion heard.

Lamsey - your box is full&#33;
    How the hell do you know that Lamsey&#39;s box is full. Is wee mouse aware of this. [/b][/quote]
    hello

3. Lounge   -   #33
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@29 December 2003 - 02:40
    BTW. How can i change my nick so it&#39;s Autumn Fox and not Atumn Fox ?

Just tell an Admin you want it changed.

They will do it without a problem.
    [/quote]
    For goodness sakes JP. Dont start that again.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I believe that censorship is both wrong and dangerous.

A Jewish intellectual packing up to leave Germany in the 1930s said "they are burning books - they usually burn people next". He was not a prophet he simply considered the historical precedents and acted with some good common sense.

Some of those (not all by any means) that burn Harry Potter books would take little encouragement to be convinced that it was their Godly duty to burn J K Rowling too, if the social and political background allowed it.

It was censorship that did for Copernicus and Socrates.

Separating that which is appropriate to a time and place is not necessarily the same as censorship - although it can be if both the time and place are unreasonably restrictive. One would not expect Blue Peter to explore the details of the Karma Sutra although I would have no problem with them giving it a mention as part of a piece on Indian culture. If anything, to me, being prissy about sex is worse than censorship.

I think one or two people have spotted a small inconsistency in this thread in that some people have been edited (courting such action deliberately to prove a point it seems to me) However, society cannot exist in chaos and anarchy - some observation of the dignity of others has to be adhered to. Although I do not consider sexual images offensive I would not go into my nearest church and read a copy of Penthouse. This would be offensive simply for the sake of offending. Likewise I would not expect my local church or police to come into my house and demand to check out my reading material; be it for sexual or political content.

To use another example, it is not censorship to say it is not permissable to spray racially offensive material on the walls of an Indian shop. It is simply enforcing the right of the Indian family to live with dignity.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    censorship is wrong. Just visit teeshirt hells webpage, and feel free to express yourself in public places, lol

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234