Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Right Click On "traffic" Files [option]

Autumn Fox's Avatar n00b
    Still...i remamber reading in Chip and PCWK something about it.

BTW #1. Does a modem/ISP connection has to be kept online by sending periodicaly small packages ? It's about thoes articles. Windows always exchanges info with an unknown server. (I might be wrong. I hope so anyway.)

BTW #2. How's it going with the BIOS(?) or, let's say, a "patch" for Win that has a built-in procedures that check all of your audio/video files and, if spots a file without somekind of authorization, it deletes it ?

2. File Sharing   -   #42
    Originally posted by zedd@7 January 2004 - 16:37
    can somone explain to me what all that just meant, i mean what does the firewall do- phone home?
    theres nothing wrong with winXp's built in firewall concerning inbound protection, but sadly its lacking in any outbound protection..Which means, say for instance , you downloaded a trojan(by mistake) and it wants to contact its creator with all your passwords and personal info, WinXP's firewall will let it cause its not designed to stop outgoing traffic

3. File Sharing   -   #43
    Autumn Fox's Avatar n00b
    Originally posted by zedd@7 January 2004 - 03:37
    can somone explain to me what all that just meant, i mean what does the firewall do- phone home?
    Windows and anyother application designed to do so can communicate (without your knowladge, thus your approval) with an unknown server exchanging unknown information.

4. File Sharing   -   #44
    Originally posted by Autumn Fox@7 January 2004 - 16:39

BTW #1. Does a modem/ISP connection has to be kept online by sending periodicaly small packages ? It's about thoes articles. Windows always exchanges info with an unknown server. (I might be wrong. I hope so anyway.)

BTW #2. How's it going with the BIOS(?) or, let's say, a "patch" for Win that has a built-in procedures that check all of your audio/video files and, if spots a file without somekind of authorization, it deletes it ?
    #1............I know your isp periodically sends ICMP requests to your computer all the time, they make up for half the traffic that your firewall logs, I know you can disable the Windows server thingy though

as for question #2.... i cant help ya there mate...lol

5. File Sharing   -   #45
    Autumn Fox's Avatar n00b
    Thanks for the info Pirate. *reading all info about ICMP in Windows help files*
    Hmmm, if you want to do anything with this you have to enable the MS firewall :/ aww, who cares, two can work in the same time

Edit. (...) :'(

6. File Sharing   -   #46
    Poster
    dear autumn fox, the conversation you had with pirate, does that concern me in any way? also im using the k/lite 2.4 version is this a good one?

7. File Sharing   -   #47
    Autumn Fox's Avatar n00b
    Originally posted by zedd+7 January 2004 - 05:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (zedd &#064; 7 January 2004 - 05:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> dear autumn fox, the conversation you had with pirate, does that concern me in any way?(...) [/b]

No, not realy. It&#39;s some technical stuff, but not realy high-fly

<!--QuoteBegin-zedd
    @7 January 2004 - 05:10
    (...)also im using the k/lite 2.4 version is this a good one? [/quote]
    2.4 ? You mean 2.4.3, right ? Yes, it&#39;s a very good version considering everything.
    Though, you can get other versions of K-Lite here: What is the Best Version ? Where To Download ? You can experiment with them if you want.

8. File Sharing   -   #48
    Poster
    yes you&#39;re right i have the 2.43 version. okay, when you told me to download that ad-adware 6.0, i did, and i do scans no and again and it finds items which are listed as &#39;tracking&#39; and with some other information listed against it, when i look at the details of these things the company name is microsoft corp, what is this all about?

9. File Sharing   -   #49
    Autumn Fox's Avatar n00b
    Originally posted by zedd+8 January 2004 - 00:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (zedd &#064; 8 January 2004 - 00:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> (...)when you told me to download that ad-adware 6.0,(...) [/b]

I didn&#39;t, wormless did.

<!--QuoteBegin-zedd
    @8 January 2004 - 00:32
    (...)i did, and i do scans no and again and it finds items which are listed as &#39;tracking&#39; and with some other information listed against it, when i look at the details of these things the company name is microsoft corp, what is this all about? [/quote]

Ad-Aware scans your computer and afterwards removes cookie files that track, measure your movments in Internet. Mostly used for advertising. However, sometimes thoes files can be used to change your browser behaviour.
    (change the default site [Home], reroute you to paid sites or even compromise your system security)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345