Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Real Pro-abortion Agenda

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@7 January 2004 - 02:35
    It was the girl's choice to have sex, and it should be her choice to handle the consequences.

And abortion is a convenient way of avoiding, not handling, the consequence.

Do you think the only input a parent is capable of giving is to keep the baby?

What if a parent wanted to do nothing more than support the child's decision?

A comforting parent beats ANY other option, yet the state trumps them with the blanket of potential for abuse.

This is tantamount to being pronounced guilty without benefit of trial.

It discriminates, does it not?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Abortion is a way to handle the consequence. You may not agree with it, but it is a solution.

The parents can give whatever input they'd like, and by all means, they should, but at the end of the day it's the pregnant girl's decision, and she shouldn't be forced into something that she doesn't want because her parents decide something otherwise.

Yes, this goes both ways. It would mean the parents can't force her to have an abortion if she wants to keep the baby, and it would mean that the parents can't force her to go through pregnancy and everything else associated with it.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    The parents are routinely excluded from the process, MN.

Planned parenthood makes no bones about their preference for this.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Planned Parenthood also gives out contraception. And not needing a permission slip from mother for that is a good thing.

so, he does
    -- WW2 for the l33t

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@7 January 2004 - 04:58
    Planned Parenthood also gives out contraception. And not needing a permission slip from mother for that is a good thing.

I'll stop doing "YEAH, BUT..." if you'll stop doing "YEAH, BUT...".

Okay?

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Yeah, but...

Sure.

so, he does
    -- WW2 for the l33t

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by j2k4@6 January 2004 - 23:18

As a father, I had, and continue to have, a HUGE problem with their move to legally forestall parental involvement in the event of an unwanted pregnancy.

I don't understand your continued insistence on this point, j2.
    The law says nothing about denying you the right to input should your daughter request it.
    If your relationship is healthy enough and your daughter is close enough to you to bring this problem to the family table, the law doesn't hinder you in the slightest.
    It is for the benefit of girls/women who are not that fortunate that the law is designed.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Originally posted by clocker+7 January 2004 - 10:42--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 7 January 2004 - 10:42)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@6 January 2004 - 23:18

As a father, I had, and continue to have, a HUGE problem with their move to legally forestall parental involvement in the event of an unwanted pregnancy.

I don&#39;t understand your continued insistence on this point, j2.
    The law says nothing about denying you the right to input should your daughter request it.
    If your relationship is healthy enough and your daughter is close enough to you to bring this problem to the family table, the law doesn&#39;t hinder you in the slightest.
    It is for the benefit of girls/women who are not that fortunate that the law is designed. [/b][/quote]
    I am aware of instances where your scenario should have occurred, but didn&#39;t, due to an over-reliance on, or bullying effect of, peer pressure.

Planned parenthood doesn&#39;t question this possibility of this happening.

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by j2k4@7 January 2004 - 09:49

I am aware of instances where your scenario should have occurred, but didn&#39;t, due to an over-reliance on, or bullying effect of, peer pressure.

Planned parenthood doesn&#39;t question this possibility of this happening.
    I&#39;m certain that PP has taken that into account and decided that it is secondary to the instances of bullying by the parental units.
    Perhaps your concerns would be better applied to the pre-need conditions.
    By the time the girl in question is pregnant, she has already made unilateral decisions, the consequences of which should be hers to deal with.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Apologies J2

I do think the tone of the article is classic conspiracy theory and strident to boot. However, I do not view your concerns as a conspiracy. As a parent of a 13 year old girl I worry about these things too.

I have never heard of the PP or their agenda (so if they are spreading a gospel they are doing it quietly or, more likely, it is largely restricted to the US).

My own position is so similar to yours as render debate sterile. I do not feel under siege from our Family Planning Clinic and I support the range and scope of the education my kids receive on these matters; including the use of contraceptives and their availability. If I felt there was some kind of deliberate erosion of trust between parents and children I would be more concerned, as you clearly are.

One thought that has struck me is that some parents may be very pro-abortion (especially on sight of the spotty youth that would be the father). What would be the view of the person that wrote the article on parental involvement then I wonder? I suspect it is rather a mistake to assume that all teen girls want to abort and all parents wish to keep the child.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast