Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Virus's

Double Agent
    Originally posted by chris_lyon82@6 January 2004 - 12:54
    Just done a quick search for Deamon Tools and found a copy no problem, but half way through my download Norton stopped it and deleted it saying it had a worm virus. The thing is well over 200 people had a copy of this file and none of them would of known that there computer is infected.
    I then clicked on another copy only for the same thing to happen.
    This has happened many times.

Theres loads of free virus software out there, why don't people use them?

P2P networks do spread virus's but if everyone had some form of protection there would be a great deal less of them out there
    that's cuz ur a noob trying to get a corrupted, virus/worm infected, spywre residing piece of crapware from kazaa

good luck with that, n00b

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Viruses are created by l00sers... I always use anti-virus software, because I don't wanna loose data...

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    If you plan to use the internet for anything bar the most popular, friendly sites (e.g. official fan sites of bands, football teams etc), you'd have to be stupid not to use an AV. Like firewalls, a couple of years ago you could have got away with not using an AV and not get one for months or even years - Nowadays, there's too many virus roaming around.

The trick is to get a recommended antivirus, e.g. Norton or (sworn by some people for some reason ) McAfee. There's another AV which is often recommended, but I can't remember the name of it (SVG?).

Many of these feature automatic virus definition update services for free, and have generally got more & more effective to scan closely while decreasing the need of resources (though many require some tweaks here & there in their config screens, mind )

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    internet.news
    Originally posted by StyleWarz@7 January 2004 - 12:29
    Viruses are created by l00sers... I always use anti-virus software, because I don't wanna loose data...
    that is a cool statement I just love it...

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Poster
    ...Glass tubes all look alike from the inside.
    THanks for reminding me - i havn't updated my definition files for a couple of weeks.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    Poster
    Originally posted by Illuminati@7 January 2004 - 11:47
    If you plan to use the internet for anything bar the most popular, friendly sites (e.g. official fan sites of bands, football teams etc), you'd have to be stupid not to use an AV. Like firewalls, a couple of years ago you could have got away with not using an AV and not get one for months or even years - Nowadays, there's too many virus roaming around.

The trick is to get a recommended antivirus, e.g. Norton or (sworn by some people for some reason ) McAfee. There's another AV which is often recommended, but I can't remember the name of it (SVG?).

Many of these feature automatic virus definition update services for free, and have generally got more & more effective to scan closely while decreasing the need of resources (though many require some tweaks here & there in their config screens, mind )
    i think u mean AVG
    Open your mind

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    internet.news
    Originally posted by Project E-01@7 January 2004 - 18:33
    THanks for reminding me - i havn't updated my definition files for a couple of weeks.
    sha're@KaZaA is looking sadly on you. Bad boy, keep your files uptodate

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@7 January 2004 - 07:25
    that's cuz ur a noob trying to get a corrupted, virus/worm infected, spywre residing piece of crapware from kazaa

good luck with that, n00b
    WTF!!!

Just cos I don't post much don't mean I'm a noob. I've probably downloaded more stuff than you've had hot dinners!!!
    I like to read boards an see what other people have to say and its ONLY if I have a strong opinion on something that I'll post
    I also read in a post on this board that you can d/l Deamon tools on kazaa and it reminded me that i lost it when I reformated my computer so as kazaa was open I thought I'd do a quick search.
    I only voiced my opinion and I get slagged of like this!!!!!

Same goes to you muchspl2

Anyways,

I use Norton 04 AV and FW an get em updated by live update every couple of days. It's not perfect but it's the best you can do with new virus's coming out every day.
    Yes you'd be stupid not to use an AV these days and as rightly said when its running in the background it doesn't slow your computer down. Every month or so I'll run a full virus check which sends my hard drive into overdrive and straight after I'll do other things like defrag and full scan disk, just to make sure everythings working the best it can

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    Poster
    Why wait for the invaders to get inside your castle (computer) before you attack them?

Build a wall (get a firewall) and keep MOST of them out in the first place!

And THEN use good, up-to-date scanners to pick off whatever gets by your thicket-of-defenses!

A hardware router can prevent most viruses/trojans from even being able to FIND your computer's (LAN) ip, thus saving your computer's CPU from lots of extra work. A hardware router is best for blocking by incomming ip port, shielding your computer of incomming, possibly hostile connection attempts.

A software firewall can get whatever makes it past the router. It specializes in blocking repeated attacks coming from fixed/single ip addresses. It also has some capability to ALWAYS block connection attempts made from ip ranges. Peer Guardian falls into this category. It may also be able to 'read' packet data and block (intentionally) bad packets which are designed to crash/override/take over your computer.

Antivirus software should be able to block whatever makes it past the formidable defenses above. This includes intentionally downloaded files which turn out to be viruses/trojans. However, it will not stop you from getting adware, spyware, bad hardware/software drivers, or just accidentially deleting a key system file.

Ad Aware and SpyBot Seek and Destroy should be able to handle virtually all adware and spyware known EXCEPT for embedded stuff which is a core component of COMMERCIAL software, such as Microsoft's Media Player's or Real One Player's phone-home activities. They just remove separate spyware and adware files, even at the price of disabling other programs which require them for use. (Such as regular Kazaa.)

A good registry cleaner program doesn't hurt either -- RegCleaner is a popular one that I use.

Lastly, even doing a disk cleanup, scandisk, checkdisk, and/or defrag can have a considerable effect on how quickly a computer boots and how 'responsive' it seems.

Even with all that, sooner or later, there's probably going to be an anti-M$ virus effective enough to knock offline practically every Microsoft-OS-running computer on the internet. If you want to be online to watch the 'fireworks', run Linux or something else.

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    Originally posted by Switeck+7 January 2004 - 05:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Switeck @ 7 January 2004 - 05:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Duracell Plus+++@6 January 2004 - 17:59
    From my experience alot of people dont wish to use any anti virus software due to the fact that they have been told the myth that it slows ur system down substantially. instead they prefer to reformat if they do get hit with a reall bad virus. as they do not know that they got any viruses on they pc, and if you do tell them they usually shrugg they shoulders with the response "So?"
    I don&#39;t run antivirus software on a regular basis and only run an AV scanner maybe once a month. However, I have detected viruses by the sounds the hard drive was making and by using a hex editor. (hint: if you see the word "virus" somewhere in the file, it probably is... )

I have little faith in AV software being able to keep up with viruses that now take only DAYS (or even HOURS) to blanket the internet.

I am still occassionally hit by a virus, but the handful of viruses I&#39;ve seen OFTEN were so new that AV software wasn&#39;t able to detect them anyway. I&#39;ve even gotten one from an auto-infecting website.

In short, a good software FIREWALL (properly configured of course&#33 has become a better AV tool than constantly-scanning AV software. A hardware firewall (such as one in a router) will do too, and it&#39;s much easier to configure. B) [/b][/quote]
    Well you dont have to run it on a regular basis, as long as you keep the definitions upto date you should be ok.

Well most of the virus ive come across dont have the word virus within the name of that particular file, hey if they did it sure would be a hell of alot easier to detect....... lol

Theoritically you might be right about the firewall but practically i would say that is a big no no. As i do believe technology has not advanced enough for this to be possible.....

Although that is a very good idea of actually combining a firewall with a AV, But then how do you expect all these large corporations to make as much money as they do, when they can sell use 2 products instaed of one.

I&#39;m starting to suspect that these virus writers do actually work for a company called www.symantec.com. lol

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast