Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is The Windows Update Site "safe"

wormless's Avatar Beauty
    Originally posted by chem@7 January 2004 - 21:17
    I am wondering if it is "safe" to go to http://www.windowsupdate.com, since every time I download the Windows update software, Microsoft tries to put a tracker on my computer. I noticed it and imported to the range to my firewall the first time Peerguardian caught it. My question is, do you believe it's relatively safe to download the patches after the trackers been blocked, or not?
    yea i got them too i just ignore them. adware and spybot ignore it or delete them they come back again and its no problem

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Dont use it. Only for MS Blaster. I dont give a shit if my pc gos down/hacked..etc It just means Ill get a new PC

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Poster
    Originally posted by Wizzandabe@12 January 2004 - 18:50
    Dont use it. Only for MS Blaster. I dont give a shit if my pc gos down/hacked..etc It just means Ill get a new PC
    Err.. Not everyone has $500+ to blow for a budget PC.

I believe it is safe, I have been running a illegal copy of Windows XP Pro, for about sox months now, and have updated monthy, I have yet to have a problem.

Regards, NightStalker.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Switeck+12 January 2004 - 16:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Switeck @ 12 January 2004 - 16:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-G2k1boy@11 January 2004 - 21:37
    Hmmm.....never heard of anyone getting caught through Windows update so I&#39;m assuming it&#39;s pretty safe
    And there won&#39;t be for non-Microsoft products... although M&#036; may well know due to their monitoring&#33;

There&#39;s a corporate upgrades section for windows patches that I use. It&#39;s made so you can download the patches and install them off a CD to multiple computers without hogging so much bandwidth. Makes life MUCH simpler when trying to patch a room full of computers.

And it won&#39;t monitor you as much doing it because it doesn&#39;t require the windows updater program... [/b][/quote]
    @ Switeck :: what&#39;s the link to the corperate MS update site i stumbled upon it over a year ago and haven&#39;t found it since. due to a HDD disaster i lost the updates i DLed and even though i find win98 has no problems [when behind an IPfilters firewall ] i&#39;d like to get all of the applicable updates.

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Poster
    Originally posted by echidna@21 January 2004 - 10:28
    @ Switeck :: what&#39;s the link to the corperate MS update site i stumbled upon it over a year ago and haven&#39;t found it since. due to a HDD disaster i lost the updates i DLed and even though i find win98 has no problems [when behind an IPfilters firewall ] i&#39;d like to get all of the applicable updates.
    This is the link for Win98 only:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/d.../corporate.asp

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    thanx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12