Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Id Cards In Britain

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    just the point..they won't be forgeproof...of course they could make them biometric which as far as the police are concerned would make them easier to detect on their data base but then it really would be big brother (should the police have a database of your dna/fingerprints if you have comitted no crime?) however in as far as id for comercial purposes forgery will always be a problem

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Originally posted by vidcc+12 January 2004 - 18:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vidcc @ 12 January 2004 - 18:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chinook_apache@12 January 2004 - 18:07
    lol GCHQ know everything about every 1 of us....our mobile phone calls txt messages etc.
    of course they do..they got all the info from the CIA [/b][/quote]
    Thats closer to the truth than sits easy..

GCHQ is not allowed to monitor the British Public (in theory), its allowed to monitor everyone elses communications though...

CIA is in the same boat with the US public i believe...(ie its external security, and someone else does the internal)

Yes, i know that everyone breaks the rules, and there are exceptions....however there is nothing wrong with information exchange (its encouraged sometimes) and there is nothing stopping the CIA monitoring the UK public and vice versa...

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Originally posted by billyfridge+12 January 2004 - 19:18--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (billyfridge &#064; 12 January 2004 - 19:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-vidcc@12 January 2004 - 19:08

like a user name and password is secure
    that said about the 40 gbp cost...would you be willing to pay if they made the cards compulsory ? i did read Blunketts statement (yes someone in the USA knows the name of the home secretary..or i could just be making an ass off myself) stating that people would gladly pay as they would consider it a fair price.
    I know it&#39;s not 100% secure but it would make the forgers job harder, surely
    what would u suggest to make them forgeproof [/b][/quote]
    Thats the point...

It gives the illusion of security, but is nothing of the sort... (much like fingerprinting in US airports )

It may make it harder for the kids down the street to give a false name, but anyone with an ounce of brains and a little cash can get one that&#39;s just as "real" to someone looking at it.

Biometric is more secure, but then you have development and associated costs going through the roof, and it can still be forged..

The only "Foolproof" way is full DNA, linked with a national DNA database...which isnt going to happen...and i bet that they could be forged too somehow (although i have no idea how ) ........this is great except: Are we going to insist everyone coming into the country has a passport with full DNA details (confirmed by the country of origin...who will also have to have a full database..)?

As far as im concerned its an all or nothing proposition... I dont mind a secure ID card..but at the moment there is no such thing. Im not gonna buy one off the Government willingly...if i can get one just as good down the street for the same price (or quite possibly cheaper, if the £40 figure is legit..)

BTW: Off Topic but lnked to this...

UK is now the most watched country in the world...with 1 CCTV camera for every 14 people..officially

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@12 January 2004 - 19:13
    UK is now the most watched country in the world...with 1 CCTV camera for every 14 people..officially
    Where did you get this information from?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    It was on the news today&#33;

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Poster
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@12 January 2004 - 20:13

BTW: Off Topic but lnked to this...

As a UK citizen the cct thing doesn&#39;t bother me at all, although it must make some people uneasy, why? In fact it makes me feel more secure.
    Man U fer eva

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Makes me feel more secure too....when im in the city centre etc.

Its a pain in the arse in the suburbs, as it just makes the trouble move to an area not covered in cameras...like mine.

However, where there are cameras....Crime is right down. Now thats a security measure that works...although again, it wouldnt work against terrorism as much; unless the police were really lucky in catching them set it all up. Unlikely.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Poster
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@13 January 2004 - 01:32
    Makes me feel more secure too....when im in the city centre etc.

Its a pain in the arse in the suburbs, as it just makes the trouble move to an area not covered in cameras...like mine.

However, where there are cameras....Crime is right down. Now thats a security measure that works...although again, it wouldnt work against terrorism as much; unless the police were really lucky in catching them set it all up. Unlikely.
    Cctv, as u say is good in city centres. i think they&#39;re building a database because
    i&#39;m sorry to say, my grandson is a proffessional shoplifter, things got too hot for him in my area (Manchester) so he moved to Torquay as soon as he tried
    the shops, the security guards started following him round the stores. so it works sometimes. or maybe the police inserted a tracer under his skin
    whilst asleep on one of the many times he&#39;s been locked up
    Man U fer eva

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Well some people are talking about ID cards in Australia as well.

My response is:
    YOU WANT US TO CARRY COMPULSORY IDENTIFICATION PAPERS?

No way&#33; The western world has a long and bloodstained history of fighting totalitarian regimes, and if anyone thinks that their freedom will be ensured by an ID card you are gravely mistaken.

Eg. We have a "100 point ID check" system here, so if you are applying for a bank account, drivers licence, etc you have to have enough documnets to make up the 100 points. A driver&#39;s licence is worth 60, an electricity bill is worth 20, a birth certificate is worth 50, etc.

So if the new ID card is forge-proof, I should only have to front up with my card and I can get anything because it is secure, ie. I don&#39;t need all the others.

What happens if I loose it, or it gets stolen with the rest of my wallet?

First, I have a major problem. I am unidentifiable. I cannot prove who I am. Therefore I have to get a new ID card. I have to bring my 100 point of ID to get the card.

So if I still have to have all my other ID, why get a new one? All the other stuff can be forged easily.

It will be a minor hiccup to terrorists and a major incovenience to the rest of the 99.9999999% of the population.

So instead of carrying an ID card I can easily loose, why not just tattoo a serial number onto my forearm?

Auschwitz Tattoo. Number of Henry Oertelt B11291.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Was that the conclusive argument against ID cards? Wow, cool&#33;

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12