Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gaming, Witch Processor?

Ok this seems alot easyer then what i thoght. This is the board i plan to get. What do you do to overoverclock it? Do you change some number in the bios or within the system?

Also isnt this heatsink a good one?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Poster
    Originally posted by The Wraith@31 January 2004 - 06:42
    Ok this seems alot easyer then what i thoght. This is the board i plan to get. What do you do to overoverclock it? Do you change some number in the bios or within the system?

Also isnt this heatsink a good one?
    Yeah, that motherboard is very good and should allow you to overclock the processor with relative ease. However, if in the future you may want to have a S-ATA drive, you might want to consider the deluxe version, which has an onboard S-ATA/RAID controller. It is more expensive though (you don't get anything for nothing and all that) so you'll have to decide if you want to spend that bit extra for the onboard S-ATA/RAID controller.
    Possibly someone else could advise on the best heatsink, I don't really know which are the current market leaders in that area...
    This is the thermal paste I was talking about, it's not expensive but it should make quite a big difference in comparison to the standard thermal pad (which you'll get if you buy a retail processor).

To overclock the system, quite simply all you do is to boot into the BIOS (with that board you should need to press the "DEL" key on startup). Then when you're in the BIOS, you just change the FSB.
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Sure i'll go with board if i need it, but why do i need sata drive? Just woundering

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Poster
    Originally posted by The Wraith@31 January 2004 - 07:09
    Sure i'll go with board if i need it, but why do i need sata drive? Just woundering
    Sorry if I gave the impression you needed the more expensive board. I was just saying that if you were thinking of getting a S-ATA drive in the future then things would be less complicated if you bought the deluxe version. S-ATA drives are built to use a different transfer standard that normal IDE drives (P-ATA).
    Here is a comparison test between P-ATA and S-ATA benchmarks (though it must be said that those benchmarks are not flattering in the slightest to S-ATA drives). The reason that I use my S-ATA controller is that I ran out of storage space on my two P-ATA drives, so I could put a S-ATA drive in and not have to sacrifice speed by sharing the bandwidth of P-ATA between two P-ATA drives.
    If you won't use the additional functions of the Deluxe version then it's obvious you shouldn't get it
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    AMD 2500+, it cheaper....very easy to overclock it to get a 3200+. speed wise, it doesn't seem to make much different compare to the intel 2.8G. All processor after 1.5G seem the same. Unless ur running 50 program and dowloading 10G off BT, you barely can tell the difference.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Yeah i'll go with the deluxe, its just S-ATA drives are twice the price as IDA drives. In the chance i need a S-ATA connecter this would be good.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Poster
    You could always go with this board as it has a windows based overclocking utility included with it which makes it very easy for somebody new to OC'ing.It also has SATA and 6 channel on board sound,on board lan,8 usb 2.0 ports,8x agp etc. I bought one about 2 weeks ago(maybe less) and I love it.I only have an XP1900+ on it but it oc'ed a bit and the cpu runs about 10 degrees cooler than it did with my old shuttle mainboard.I am extremely happy with mine.I am picking up an XP2500+ barton in the next couple of weeks and maybe about a gig of 400mhz DDR.I'll be able to let you know how well it works after that.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Originally posted by johnboy27@31 January 2004 - 08:40
    You could always go with this board as it has a windows based overclocking utility included with it which makes it very easy for somebody new to OC'ing.It also has SATA and 6 channel on board sound,on board lan,8 usb 2.0 ports,8x agp etc. I bought one about 2 weeks ago(maybe less) and I love it.I only have an XP1900+ on it but it oc'ed a bit and the cpu runs about 10 degrees cooler than it did with my old shuttle mainboard.I am extremely happy with mine.I am picking up an XP2500+ barton in the next couple of weeks and maybe about a gig of 400mhz DDR.I'll be able to let you know how well it works after that.
    Sweet $75 and the same thing Saves alot of money.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Originally posted by johnboy27@31 January 2004 - 00:40
    I would strongly recommend NOT to get this board as there is no dual channel memory support. Plus it is largely known in the enthusiast community that the Asus 4th gen mentioned to you is among the best nforce 2 mobo's around.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Originally posted by adamp2p+31 January 2004 - 09:00--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (adamp2p @ 31 January 2004 - 09:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-johnboy27@31 January 2004 - 00:40
    You could always go with this board as it has a windows based overclocking utility included with it which makes it very easy for somebody new to OC&#39;ing.It also has SATA and 6 channel on board sound,on board lan,8 usb 2.0 ports,8x agp etc. I bought one about 2 weeks ago(maybe less) and I love it.I only have an XP1900+ on it but it oc&#39;ed a bit and the cpu runs about 10 degrees cooler than it did with my old shuttle mainboard.I am extremely happy with mine.I am picking up an XP2500+ barton in the next couple of weeks and maybe about a gig of 400mhz DDR.I&#39;ll be able to let you know how well it works after that.
    I would strongly recommend NOT to get this board as there is no dual channel memory support. Plus it is largely known in the enthusiast community that the Asus 4th gen mentioned to you is among the best nforce 2 mobo&#39;s around. [/b][/quote]
    Ok then (ahh confusing )

Ok will this Mobo fit in this case.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast