Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ide Master; Sata Slave

Infested Cats's Avatar Mike Victory
    Originally posted by callum@30 January 2004 - 23:03
    have you partitioned it and formatted it?
    BIOS detects it, but when I ran the WindowsXP setup disk, it didnt detect a hd...

maybe i forgot how to do this.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    You have to set the IDE to boot before the SATA in your BIOS.

Also the Windows installation will ask you to press a key (not sure which key but I think it's F2) to provide the SATA drivers. Don't do this just let it passed that point without pressing any keys.

I have not done this as most people would make the SATA the system drive as it would have better performance.

Have you thought about making the SATA the system drive and using the IDE for storage?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    Originally posted by Infested Cats+31 January 2004 - 04:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Infested Cats @ 31 January 2004 - 04:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-callum@30 January 2004 - 23:03
    BIOS detects it, but when I ran the WindowsXP setup disk, it didnt detect a hd...

maybe i forgot how to do this. [/b][/quote]
    you should be able to do all of that in disk management

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Originally posted by callum+30 January 2004 - 23:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (callum @ 30 January 2004 - 23:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Infested Cats@31 January 2004 - 04:04
    <!--QuoteBegin-callum
    @30 January 2004 - 23:03

maybe i forgot how to do this.
    you should be able to do all of that in disk management [/b][/quote]
    Yes but he cannot change the system drive to become the storage drive.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Infested Cats's Avatar Mike Victory
    I be back on this later... i must take a movie break... i&#39;ll edit this post when i return with new developments.

Thanks for your help so far

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    No need to edit. Just post to bring it back to the top of the page.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster
    Vb1234: As I see it, he doesn&#39;t want to do that; I think he&#39;s just confused why the drive appears in Disk Management but not in Explorer.

Infested Cats: Have you partitioned and formatted the drive? You&#39;re experiencing what happens when you don&#39;t. Use Disk Management to do it.

Also, as Vb1234 said, the XP install doesn&#39;t load SATA/RAID drivers unless you hit the right function key as it starts - it tells you which one down the bottom of the screen. I concur that you should leave that alone and install on the IDE, using the SATA for storage
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    if it is showing up in disk maagement then windows did detect the drive.

the problem is that its not coming up in my computer but it is in device manager right?

all you have to do is go into disk management and partition then format the drive.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Boy I must have been really tired last night. I look at this morning this with a fresh perspective and see that Smurfette and ROSSCO_2004 are right.

You just need to partition the drive with the Disk Management. Once you do that the drive will appear in &#39;My Computer&#39;

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@30 January 2004 - 23:04
    Also the Windows installation will ask you to press a key (not sure which key but I think it&#39;s F2) to provide the SATA drivers.
    I just checked this. Its the F6 key that is used to access SATA drivers at Windows installation time (at bottom of screen when booting the CD).

@Infested Cats, this is not to be used in your case as you want the IDE as the system drive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast