Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Going On With The Beeb?

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    It seemed to be the case that the BBC was going to pick-up the gauntlet and begin to defend itself.

Full-page ads and the like?

Are other investigations being contemplated?

The silence is reaching a crescendo.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    The last I heard they had decided to drop the appeal against the Hutton Report and are concentrating on rebuilding their credibility as journalists.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Originally posted by Skillian@10 February 2004 - 01:52
    The last I heard they had decided to drop the appeal against the Hutton Report and are concentrating on rebuilding their credibility as journalists.
    Always a good idea-

Does that mean, though, that they deem a refutation of Hutton's report an insurmountable task?

Given that we speak of the Beeb here, that they are apparently giving the nod to the report has tremendous significance, does it not?

I know many here will think I'm being snide, but I am rather sympathetic, actually; most of the U.K. held/hold the BBC in highest regard.

Were I in their shoes, I know how I would feel.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    Yes, I think they have decided that it's not worth the fight. Perhaps they were sick of writing stories about themselves in that surreal way we have seen recently.

Most of the public have heard from the BBC themselves that while they accept some blame, as illustrated by recent resignations, they do have some serious misgivings about the report, and I think they feel it is enough that the public know that.

I don't believe running through courts would prove their integrity, the way to do that is to get back to doing what they do best. So no, I don't think that their apparent reluctance to fight is of particular significance.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Do you feel the BBC is/is not subject to governmental influence then?

The Hutton report would indicate this was certainly not the case in years past, but public opinion running contrary to Hutton's conclusions would have us believe it is-at least when it comes to matters concerning Blair's political survival.

I believe this goes to the root of the question of whether it's reputation can be properly restored, yes?

How will they erase the suspicions of government control that have come to light so suddenly?

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Poster
    The BBC made a mistake, so what, who doesen't, the top exec' resigned, the BBC apologised, end of story.
    Man U fer eva

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    I'm fairly certain that the BBC took the fall for the whole thing. They are, after all, governmentally funded.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@10 February 2004 - 12:01
    I'm fairly certain that the BBC took the fall for the whole thing. They are, after all, governmentally funded.

I don't know about government funding, every household, with a television has to pay for a licence wether they watch BBC or not. this year i have to pay £116.00
    its compulsary. and it goes up every year.
    Man U fer eva

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    The hutton report imo marks a sad day for the beeb. They let themselves down on the quality of their reporting and following up of a story (and makes me think that maybe they were slacking on other stories) and they deserved to get rapped on the knuckles, but Greg Dyke seemed like a good leader and its a shame to lose him. If i remember well wasn't there a furore when he was first chosen because he was a labour supporter? Oh well maybe the person to replace him will actually put something worth watching on the telly and continue his work of digitising and publishing the BBC archives online.

As to a loss of credibility, imo its been very slight, the general opinion seems to be that the Hutton report isn't worth the paper its printed on.

Do you feel the BBC is/is not subject to governmental influence then?
    This is a hard question to answer, imo they are generally mostly free of influence, but the bbc is a national institution so effectively they have to accept the hutton report no matter what they may think of it. What is of more concern to me is the extent to which the government influenced the findings of the hutton report.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Not to rally behind the beeb but aren't these events, on some level, a symptom of how media corporations are bursting their banks?

The BBC and others, in the UK anyway, have become burgeoning Hydras and the various heads are clashing at every lightbulb pop.

I believe, contrary to intention, that 24 news has diluted quality and scrutiny and what we now receive are insipid hack-jobs and rushed, ill-contacted lampoons.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast