Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Too Many Accounts

DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Originally posted by Lamsey+23 February 2004 - 15:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey @ 23 February 2004 - 15:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Back in the normal account...

<!--QuoteBegin-bigboab
    @23 February 2004 - 13:45
    Are you saying Mr Stewart that every computer &#39;networked&#39; or routed through a server has the same IP?
    Not always, I&#39;m sure there are some situations where they have their own outside IP address.

However, to take my LAN as an example, the router has a single static IP address associated with it. All the computers in my house which connect to that router have a local IP address which they use to communicate with each other and the router. The computers never have an actual internet IP address.

All internet traffic goes through a system called NAPT (Network Address and Port Translation); I&#39;m not sure how this works but basically the router does all the communication with the internet and automatically sends data back to the PC which requested it.

edited for clarification [/b][/quote]
    That sounds like how it was explained to me

2. Lounge   -   #22
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    The situation as I understand it is that &#39;networked&#39; computers have their own individual identity. I know my IP is different from my sons and we are networked.
    That as it may be, I could not and will not argue about other methods of &#39;connection&#39; as I have been too long away from the &#39;main stream&#39;.

If this is the case then the responsibility should fall on the IP holder to ensure that &#39;multiple accounts&#39; are not operating through his/her system. If he/she is breaching that trust, then take away that IP access.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Poster
    Originally posted by bigboab@23 February 2004 - 13:56
    The situation as I understand it is that &#39;networked&#39; computers have their own individual identity. I know my IP is different from my sons and we are networked.
    That as it may be, I could not and will not argue about other methods of &#39;connection&#39; as I have been too long away from the &#39;main stream&#39;.

If this is the case then the responsibility should fall on the IP holder to ensure that &#39;multiple accounts&#39; are not operating through his/her system. If he/she is breaching that trust, then take away that IP access.
    This is a good idea, but it doesn&#39;t solve the Freeserve/AOL proxy problem
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think &quot;Ok, this is the limit&quot;.
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    What if two people use the same computer then?

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by bigboab@23 February 2004 - 13:56

So you are saying that WeeMouse and I, who currently access the board from the same IP, should be banned?

Or perhaps the dozens of members who use a certain UK AOL proxy IP (no names mentioned because that would be unfair)?

6. Lounge   -   #26
    Sorry to butt in. What is an IP? I have heard people talking about this but I have no clue what it is. If someone could answer me I would be very greatful.

7. Lounge   -   #27
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by Skweeky@23 February 2004 - 14:59
    That again comes down to trust Squeeky. If some one tries to register with the same IP a someone else the the IP owner would have to declare, on trust, that there are two different people using that computer. This is not the type of people we are asking to be stopped. It is the continual changing of accounts every day.

We are limited to one account per e-mail account. I cant see where the IP matter can not be overcome. I am sure a few people have left this forum because they do not know who they are talking to half the time. I have seen people with a timescale situated in the middle of the Atlantic one week. the next week they are in Europe the next in Australia.

When you think about it the vast majority of uses in this forum are one user one computer. I dont see a problem.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Originally posted by Skweeky@23 February 2004 - 15:59
    They should be shot

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Spider_dude's Avatar cawk BT Rep: +4
    Originally posted by NodDarnOj@23 February 2004 - 15:07
    Sorry to butt in. What is an IP? I have heard people talking about this but I have no clue what it is. If someone could answer me I would be very greatful.
    IP - internet protocol, it is a specific number which helps servers locate you in the mish mash that is the internet. static ip&#39;s are significant to you, while dynamic ip&#39;s change every time you either disconnect from the internet or turn off your modem. there are 2 types of ip, the internet one and your internal one which helps you set up a lan by giving each machine an individual address.

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Thankyou Spider dude. So it&#39;s kind of a telephone number for my computer.
    Sorry to be a little thick but I&#39;ve only been on the internet for a week or so.
    I got a computer and my friend set it up for me. I&#39;m afraid I&#39;m not too bright on this technical jargen.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast