Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Director

Poster
    assualt on 13th precint was bad....i read the reviews, and it was bad but i chose to ignore the review because the plot sounded liek the type of movie i would like but nooooooooooooo. it wasnt very good.
    i might do john carpenter...i love scary movies

2. Movies & TV   -   #12
    Its magic baby!
    I disagree assault on precinct 13 was an excellent cult classic. it was a stylish film and i think if you were to pick carpenter you should compare his horror with AOP13, and you will really get to grips with his style. would make a good essay> not to one sided.
    Wiz.

3. Movies & TV   -   #13
    Originally posted by Wizard_Mon1@25 February 2004 - 09:52
    i think if you were to pick carpenter you should compare his horror with AOP13, and you will really get to grips with his style. would make a good essay> not to one sided.
    exactly right. my point by suggesting "precinct 13" was not whether it's a good or bad movie, but how it fits in with the style of his early horror & sci-fi flicks. precinct 13 is not high art, nor is any of his work for that matter, and maybe precinct isn't as good as "halloween" or "the thing"... but if you look at all three of them together, you will see a pretty consistent style as far as the mood, the psychology, the background music, the way the locations & lighting are set up so that the people are stuck in closed spaces and all they can see outside is darkness or snow, etc. and the fact that despite the blood, tits, slashing and special effects, carpenter is a very traditional director-- a lot of his movies are actually old-fashioned genre material dressed up in new clothes... for example, the thing is a remake of the 1950s movie "thing from another world," precinct 13 is a cowboys vs indians movie combined with some inspiration from "night of the living dead," etc etc.

4. Movies & TV   -   #14
    Kevin Smith

Chasing Amy
    Mallrats
    Dogma
    Jay and Silentbob Strikes back
    Jersey Girl

5. Movies & TV   -   #15
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    You forgot Clerks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12