Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsoft Hints At Low Costs And Open-source...

Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    In theory, it's a start - But with major hazards in the areas of security, customisation, choice and cost, it's still not enough to turn more than a few heads.

In reality though, Microsoft are starting to release the shit they've been full of for too long as they face Windows' biggest threat of the past decade.

This may affect a few governments, but with the trials of several superpowers' governments into the effect of open-source on their business (some, like the UK, apparantly offering good reviews), I think Linux and other open-source OSs will be getting their biggest foothold - Naturally Microsoft are going nowhere for the next 2-3 years at least, so my guess is that there's gonna be a fairly-equal split between the popularity of Windows & any other OS

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    linux in being introduced to the whole of munich at the moment whch seems like an excellent test into its suitablity in offices.

here ignore the title its steve ballmers spin.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    The next step is to make the Windows XP operating system less vulnerable to malicious attacks. Microsoft chairman Bill Gates, speaking on the RSA security conference this week, demonstrated a Windows Security Center that will become part of a new update to the operating system this summer.

It is essentially a PC security dashboard that will allow users to view and change security settings from a central area. New features include an enhanced network firewall and a pop-up-ad blocker. The company will also offer a new way to filter spam and potentially malicious programs that lurk on the Web.
    I assume their speaking of sp2

Interesting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12