Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Linux Desktop

Poster
    Originally posted by shn@4 March 2004 - 21:10
    You still use a gui?

Yeah, but I am becomming much more comfortable in the shell then I was before.

But even when I am a master at the shell I will still use a gui, you can't play movies, read PDFs (?), or anything else like that in a shell. And for day to day use a GUI is just fine because memory usage isn't THAT big of a deal.

But for a server I think GUI's should be outlawed

You don't use a gui in linux at all?

---------

Haxor, there is a plugin for firefox that makes it so you have to click on the flash to play it:

http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/#flashclick

I use it and it works pretty good

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    I use a remote Xserver from another box. Multiple virtual consoles as well.

One difference. I can kill my X connection for an extended period of time and still be able to maneuver throughout any *nix, or openvms box with ease.

Can you say the same?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    h1
    LOL thanks, I already have that, but I thought he was talking about nasty flashing animated GIFS.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    Originally posted by shn@5 March 2004 - 17:12
    I use a remote Xserver from another box. Multiple virtual consoles as well.

One difference. I can kill my X connection for an extended period of time and still be able to maneuver throughout any *nix, or openvms box with ease.

Can you say the same?
    No

I'm not 1337 yet!!!!

Where did you learn all this stuff? Classes? Books? You're really good!!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by LSA+5 March 2004 - 17:17--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LSA &#064; 5 March 2004 - 17:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-shn@5 March 2004 - 17:12
    I use a remote Xserver from another box.&nbsp; Multiple virtual consoles as well.

One difference.&nbsp; I can kill my X connection for an extended period of time and still be able to maneuver throughout any *nix, or openvms box with ease.

Can you say the same?&nbsp;
    No

I&#39;m not 1337 yet&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Where did you learn all this stuff? Classes? Books? You&#39;re really good&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]

I dont know anything about openvms

I am a poser. I never even used it.

But I&#39;m on the trail though.

Mr. Slackware

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    Are you making fun of me again&#33;

But where did you learn so much about linux?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Do you really use that interface when using your computer? Whats the big advantage of doing so. Is it possible to get all Linux distros into a similar layout (no gui just straight command interface).

I have Mandrake v9.2 on my machine so I could see what Linux was all about but I don&#39;t use it that much yet as it looked like windows and it doesn&#39;t have any firewall or AV software. Its just got the default desktop on it.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Poster
    Originally posted by SeK612@6 March 2004 - 05:56
    Do you really use that interface when using your computer? Whats the big advantage of doing so. Is it possible to get all Linux distros into a similar layout (no gui just straight command interface).

I have Mandrake v9.2 on my machine so I could see what Linux was all about but I don&#39;t use it that much yet as it looked like windows and it doesn&#39;t have any firewall or AV software. Its just got the default desktop on it.
    Yes you can get a command only interface, press ctrl+alt+f1 and it will kill x, your gui.

You can set it to always load a command line by modifying which runlevel you boot to.

Linux doesn&#39;t really need and anti-virus. As for the firewall there is one included, its called &#39;iptables&#39;

There are tutorials for runlevels and iptables in the pinned &#39;new to linux&#39; topic here.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Poster
    Slackware&#33;

Looks nice

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast