Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can The Theories Of...

lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by clocker+6 March 2004 - 00:56--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 6 March 2004 - 00:56)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by internet.weather@5 March 2004 - 17:36
    <!--QuoteBegin-hobbes
    @6 March 2004 - 00:53

As Clocker said, evolution and creationism only conflict if you take your Religion too literally.

Clocker hasn&#39;t posted here, or are you referring to another thread ?
    I don&#39;t have to actually post in a thread.
    You seem to drag me around to all sorts of unsavory places I normally wouldn&#39;t visit. [/b][/quote]
    We need to know just how hard wearing that coat is likely to be.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Originally posted by hobbes@5 March 2004 - 20:53
    As Clocker said, evolution and creationism only conflict if you take your Religion too literally.
    I believe it clashes when creationism is taught in public schools.

Saying that the world was created in 6 days with God resting on the 7th is fine.

Teaching it in science class is not.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Originally posted by Busyman+6 March 2004 - 03:52--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Busyman @ 6 March 2004 - 03:52)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-hobbes@5 March 2004 - 20:53
    I believe it clashes when creationism is taught in public schools.

Saying that the world was created in 6 days with God resting on the 7th is fine.

Teaching it in science class is not. [/b][/quote]
    Religion has no place in schools, separation of Church and State and all that.

It is also the anti-thesis of science, as faith is defined as belief without proof. Science is about proving before belief.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Originally posted by hobbes@5 March 2004 - 19:05
    Religion has no place in schools
    at lots of private universities, you can major in divinity... and in public ones, they do have religious studies. it&#39;s just that, at the college & university level, it&#39;s treated like a study of literature & philosophy. the stuff that&#39;s taught in philosophy departments is a mixture of religious, spiritual, and atheist thought, too. there&#39;s a huge difference between that and indoctrination, which is basically what fundamentalist types seem to want elementary schools to teach.

if my public high school had offered courses in philosophy and something along the lines of "survey of the world&#39;s religions," i prolly woulda been first in line to sign up...

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC+6 March 2004 - 08:52--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3RA1N1AC &#064; 6 March 2004 - 08:52)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-hobbes@5 March 2004 - 19:05
    Religion has no place in schools
    at lots of private universities, you can major in divinity... and in public ones, they do have religious studies. it&#39;s just that, at the college & university level, it&#39;s treated like a study of literature & philosophy. the stuff that&#39;s taught in philosophy departments is a mixture of religious, spiritual, and atheist thought, too. there&#39;s a huge difference between that and indoctrination, which is basically what fundamentalist types seem to want elementary schools to teach.

if my public high school had offered courses in philosophy and something along the lines of "survey of the world&#39;s religions," i prolly woulda been first in line to sign up...[/b][/quote]
    Introduction to religion has nothing to do with "teaching creation" or "indoctrination" and should be viewed as a nothing more than a way to expand ones horizons and perspectives.

I have no problem with learning what different religions believe in or stand for, but they should not be in competition with or even relevant to scientific studies.

It is more like a "humanities" credit, than an evangelical enticement into a faith.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    The Roman Catholic Church is not good for much else, but I do like their position that the Theory of Evolution is fundamentally correct but that the social and political theories that stem from it are wrong.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Originally posted by jj_frap@6 March 2004 - 13:02
    The Roman Catholic Church is not good for much else, but I do like their position that the Theory of Evolution is fundamentally correct but that the social and political theories that stem from it are wrong.
    Which social and political theories stem from the theory of evolution ?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Its magic baby!
    Is religion is just a set of beliefs (faith), I have read about studies that shows that a certain part of the brain is active while praying, we don&#39;t understand about 70% of what the brain does and what a human is capable of. What if aspects of religion could be explained using scientific methods e.g. Possesion. It is talked about in many of the major religions and they all have methods for dealing with possesion. Is this a phenomena that could at some point be understood by science. With the knowledge that we understand little of the universe we open ourselves up for learning alot more.

Also could religions that detail the mind to a very high degree ever be included in science as an explanation for our human condition. Could these theories benefit the entire population when disconnected with religion and seen rather as a tecnique for living a healthy and happy life.

I believe that science and religion are two sides of the same coin. One tries to understand the universe from outside in and the other from inside out, with the recognition that each can help the other a whole new field of reseach could be opened up that could be a great benefit to everyone. Sure there will be people on both sides that say no the other is crap, mine is best. Until this field of research is fully opened and investigated then no one can prove that the other is wrong or talking crap and a huge opportunity will be missed.

Edit - Wording.
    Wiz.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    A part of the brain is active when we fart as well, no big deal.

Religion is a creation of fear, that simple. I imagine that with functional MRI and other methods we will find that praying is closely associated with the "fear" center.

Without fear, God is irrelevant.

"Possession" clearly is a case of fear which exceeds the persons ability to cope with it. "Exorcism" utilizes the power of "faith" to act as a placebo, to bring peace to a conflicted mind. Just like a suger pill will cure a headache, if you believe that you have just taken an aspirin.

Could these theories benefit the entire population when disconnected with religion and seen rather as a tecnique for living a healthy and happy life.
    Yes, they are called "Philosophies".

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Evolution and Creation can not be combined.

They both lie in two different realms, the realm of fact and theology.

The purpose of knowing about Evolution is different from the purpose of knowing about Creation.

What the purpose is, of course, depends on your beliefs.

Proof that Evolution should not come into contact with Creation?
    Scroll down to the "Creation Scientist" Part

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast