Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 98

shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    @Immortal Genocide -- try windows 2000 pro it's pretty stable for the most part. The last copy I had was downloaded from bittorent and it worked fine.

@people saying you been running xp for days and months without reboot --stop lying. It is simply not possible with xp and you know you have never done that.

@haxor -- an achievement? It is more like wishful thinking for xp

@Windows ME -- No comment :

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22

@people saying you been running xp for days and months without reboot --stop lying. It is simply not possible with xp and you know you have never done that. 
    Why would they be lying ??

What are they going to achieve in lying ??

I bet i could run my computer for a few months and using it as normal including playing games, ripping DVD's etc

From now, my PC is not going to be turned of

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by shn@9 March 2004 - 10:01
    I trust that smiley indicates you're talking shit in jest?
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Show me some uptime stats of "your" xp and then we can talk.

Just dont let the badly fragmented hard disk hit you in the ass on your way out.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    Why on earth, would anyone want to constantly leave their systems on? It takes only a few minutes to reboot or restart maybe another two for XP to load?Not big deal really. And it saves on the wear and tear of your motherboard, I am assuming, with not having to worry about it becoming too hot through constant everyday abuse.

That and quite a few broadband users experience some problems with becoming out-of-sync with their ISP's servers every now and then. So cutting the power from your modem once in awhile might be wise anyway.

Me? I make it a habit to restart a couple of times a week and perhaps leave the system off sunday nights.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Izagaia@9 March 2004 - 15:32
    Why on earth, would anyone want to constantly leave their systems on? It takes only a few minutes to reboot or restart maybe another two for XP to load?Not big deal really. And it saves on the wear and tear of your motherboard, I am assuming, with not having to worry about it becoming too hot through constant everyday abuse.

That and quite a few broadband users experience some problems with becoming out-of-sync with their ISP's servers every now and then. So cutting the power from your modem once in awhile might be wise anyway.

Me? I make it a habit to restart a couple of times a week and perhaps leave the system off sunday nights.
    I am a broadband user and I have never become out of sync or whatever you call it.

I could turn every pc off here but the lan will still be up and running.

And for me, I just feel that uptime is an aquired taste.

How many xp boxes do you see on Netcraft

Windows 98 can stay up longer than xp.

Bottom line for people saying they have done it?

Quit trying to be like Linux or any other POSIX compliant system.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Originally posted by shn@9 March 2004 - 16:49
    I am a broadband user and I have never become out of sync or whatever you call it.

And for me, I just feel that uptime is an aquired taste. 

Well- maybe I am exaggerating abit in saying "most". I shouldn't have been so arrogant in thinking that so. oops:

But there are some DSL modems (I do not know about cable modems) that fall out of sync with their ISP's servers. Or maybe it's just mine (Slipstream 5100) yet I am told that they require you to power it off then back on to fall back in. My broadband runs through the same connection and line as my phone. No seperate lines. In a nutshell, my connection (PPPoe) appears and shares alot of the same traits as a 56k dial-up connection (super-sized of course).

However this is what I am referring to. Maybe you would know about this little quirk more than I or why it would need to be done. I suppose that I just assumed that many broadband users did the same thing. Maybe not.

http://help.sbcglobal.net/article.php?item=2

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Izagaia+9 March 2004 - 17:00--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Izagaia &#064; 9 March 2004 - 17:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-shn@9 March 2004 - 16:49

And for me, I just feel that uptime is an aquired taste.&nbsp;

Well- maybe I am exaggerating abit in saying "most". I shouldn&#39;t have been so arrogant in thinking that so. oops:

But there are some DSL modems (I do not know about cable modems) that fall out of sync with their ISP&#39;s servers. Or maybe it&#39;s just mine (Slipstream 5100) yet I am told that they require you to power it off then back on to fall back in. My broadband runs through the same connection and line as my phone. No seperate lines. In a nutshell, my connection (PPPoe) appears and shares alot of the same traits as a 56k dial-up connection (super-sized of course).

However this is what I am referring to. Maybe you would know about this little quirk more than I or why it would need to be done. I suppose that I just assumed that many broadband users did the same thing. Maybe not.

http://help.sbcglobal.net/article.php?item=2[/b][/quote]
    Your forgetting that not everyone uses the equipment that sbc gives their customers. The first one I got from them was not even a "modem".

It was a router/cable/dsl/wireless access point/modem all integrated in one.

I now use a cisco router that I got from cisco netcad academy when I was enrolled in my ccna classes. Although the first one I got from sbc worked fine because I had already had experience with the equipment they give out since I previoulsy had it with Roadrunner.

Also, I am on a dedicated line. This is a business account, and if you have sbc you can get the same all you have to do is tell them you need one, but it will cost you more.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Originally posted by shn@9 March 2004 - 18:40
    Your forgetting that not everyone uses the equipment that sbc gives their customers. The first one I got from them was not even a "modem".

It was a router/cable/dsl/wireless access point/modem all integrated in one.

I now use a cisco router that I got from cisco netcad academy when I was enrolled in my ccna classes. Although the first one I got from sbc worked fine because I had already had experience with the equipment they give out since I previoulsy had it with Roadrunner.

Also, I am on a dedicated line. This is a business account, and if you have sbc you can get the same all you have to do is tell them you need one, but it will cost you more.
    Not only did I forget that not everyone actually uses the equipment that their providers dish-out to them, but I also had forgotten (briefly) why it is that you, madam, are the "digital goddess" and there are some of us lower, joe-sausage heads, who shouldn&#39;t even try to throw "techie kinda things" your way without having the insight of totally knowing what it is he/she (or myself) is talking about.

Because admittingly, the rest of what you are saying, I have to humbly state with regret, that I have not, non-ya, nodda, no freak&#39;n clue- no way no how of what access points or cisco routers or netcad ccna classes are.

But I do know what "Roadrunner" is. :jester:

Izzy got served. So if anyone won&#39;t be needing anymore comedy relief, I am going to go crawl back under my rock.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Poster
    Originally posted by Izagaia@9 March 2004 - 19:51
    Because admittingly, the rest of what you are saying, I have to humbly state with regret, that I have not, non-ya, nodda, no freak&#39;n clue- no way no how of what access points or cisco routers or netcad ccna classes are.&nbsp;
    An access point it a router/hub like device that sends (don&#39;t know if that is the best word for it ) into the air so wireless cards can pick them up and send info to other wireless cards.

A cisco router is a router made by cisco

netcad classes is a class about networking, I am going to take it next year at my school

ccna stands for Cisco Certified Network Associate, it is an IT certification offered by Cisco

Hope that helps you

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast