Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dog Stories

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by reTARPD@10 March 2004 - 11:49
    j2 is a crazy old lady

our alfred once went missing on a mountain in wales. so did we, we ended up 11 miles away from where we were supposed to be (damn fog).

the next night though i heard scratching at our cottage door, he found his way home.

(the impressive bit is because we were on holiday where we'd never been and he found his way
    And my wife is a nutty old man!

Your story is typical, but only in that it indicates these animals have a connection with us that is beyond our ken; the only possible explanation I've stumbled across is that they actually have some weird organic "global positioning system" for navigational purposes-that, and an urge to reconnect with us.

Even with a proper explanation, that is terribly flattering to us humans, eh?

EDIT: OMG!! SPELLING!!!!!!
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Lounge   -   #22
    reTARPD
    i know it cant be from sight. it was like we were in a film. we had about 2 metre visibility walking along a ridge so we didnt know if we were walking past fields or sheer drops. thats about the time he dissapeared

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Originally posted by reTARPD@10 March 2004 - 12:14
    i know it cant be from sight. it was like we were in a film. we had about 2 metre visibility walking along a ridge so we didnt know if we were walking past fields or sheer drops. thats about the time he dissapeared
    Yup.

This GPS thing makes loads of sense; great way to explain away migration patterns, etc.

Only makes sense most animals have at least a remnant ability.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Lounge   -   #24
    AussieSheila's Avatar Dazed & Confused
    Originally posted by j2k4@10 March 2004 - 16:06
    tangled with a bear-

Hurts to remember them that way-I get way too attached to my animals.
    Are you serious? A bear?

There's a song by an Australian band called "Dogs Make The Best People" and it's true. I drove across Australia with just my dog for company and he was all I needed ... well along with a good sound system and some herbal relaxants. For 5 days I barely spoke to a human, only to say thank you when purchasing petrol or paying for a camping space along the way. And I didn't miss the contact at all. My dog used to come to work with me, for 7 years he was truly my constant companion. He went missing when I was on holidays and had left him with my sister, and I never found him.

This is the dog I have now, he's apparently looking a bit cow like here. Say hello to Roy.

I have a cat but he recently proved that cats are sadistic killers by killing our guinea pig. I don't think I'll ever have another cat after this one eventually dies. I only have him cos he was dumped as a tiny kitten and found his way to us.

The snake that lives in our shed does a much better job of keeping the rats and mice away anyhow.

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Originally posted by AussieSheila+10 March 2004 - 12:52--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AussieSheila &#064; 10 March 2004 - 12:52)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@10 March 2004 - 16:06
    tangled with a bear-

Hurts to remember them that way-I get way too attached to my animals.
    Are you serious? A bear?

There&#39;s a song by an Australian band called "Dogs Make The Best People" and it&#39;s true. I drove across Australia with just my dog for company and he was all I needed ... well along with a good sound system and some herbal relaxants. For 5 days I barely spoke to a human, only to say thank you when purchasing petrol or paying for a camping space along the way. And I didn&#39;t miss the contact at all. My dog used to come to work with me, for 7 years he was truly my constant companion. He went missing when I was on holidays and had left him with my sister, and I never found him.

[/b][/quote]
    Yup.

A bear.

Hell, I ran-why didn&#39;t he?

At the age of six or seven, I learned about instincts; too late.

Old Rags did everything I ever told him to do, except RUN&#33;

Your trip sounds like a dream, Sheila.

Wish I could do that.

-Mark Twain

6. Lounge   -   #26
    AussieSheila's Avatar Dazed & Confused
    Oh poor Rags.

Yes, it was a great trip. It&#39;s crap there&#39;s nothing to see in deserts, there was plenty.

Kangaroos sometimes tear dogs apart over here. They can be quite savage when they are threatened.

7. Lounge   -   #27
    oldmancan's Avatar Poster
    I grew up around two dogs. As an infant my "guardian angel" was a female basset hound. Around the time I turned ten we got a malamute mutt. The malamute was named "Cheemo". Of course I&#39;m biased but he was an amazing dog.

Dad was the master, but we were buddies always getting into trouble together.

I remember the first time he saw snow, he practically jumped for joy. There were some peat bogs in our area that used to freeze over. An unofficial community skating rink. Cheemo would use his leash to tow us around on the ice. He could tow most kids almost as fast as they could skate. And that was using a choker chain, he never wore a regular collar. I particularily remember one time when a younger brother was getting a "ride".

The peat bog was such that there were various sloughs and rises. The sloughs would be frozen and the rises were exposed peat. Mostly the sloughs were interconnected. But sometimes you had to walk over a rise to get to another slough.

See it coming? Yeah, I wound up my brother and the dog. Got them clipping along at a good speed. Then I sped past them, calling the dog. I knew the end of the slough was coming up and that there was narrow rise then nother slough. I jumped the rise, dog follow and so did little brother (in a slightly sprawling fashion, ok not so slightly).

No one got hurt and we all laughed later.

@AussieShelia, like good blues, sometimes the silence between the notes is more than the notes themselves.

:beerchug: omc

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Good one, OMC-

Especially that last.

-Mark Twain

9. Lounge   -   #29
    *Grunt*
    When i was in hyde park these two mastifs started humping. the owner was fined £50

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Poster
    I enjoy dogging most weekends, I usually go with my good friend Stan Collymore.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast