Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Greatest Alternative In P2p....

kAb's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Berserk Chaos@12 March 2004 - 22:08
    From Download.com:

Ares is a file-sharing program. Search for and download your favorite music and video files shared by other users on a free peer-to-peer network. Ares's advanced queuing system and multisource swarmed downloads allow you to get what you want in the shortest amount of time. The transfer-autoresume feature lets you forget about interrupted transfers. Ares's library manager allows you to organize your shared files easily, protecting your security. Ares can enhance your file-sharing experience, thanks to its built-in audio/video player with full playlist support.
    Editor's note: This download includes additional applications bundled with the software's installer file. Third-party applications bundled with this download may record your surfing habits, deliver advertising, collect private information, or modify your system settings. Pay close attention to the end user license agreement and installation options.

AGHHHH

how much more explicit can you get?

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Berserk Chaos@13 March 2004 - 00:08
    From Download.com:

Editor's note: This download includes additional applications bundled with the software's installer file. Third-party applications bundled with this download may record your surfing habits, deliver advertising, collect private information, or modify your system settings. Pay close attention to the end user license agreement and installation options.

If I ran Ares on Linux with WINE would the spyware be able to work?

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Thank you. This is the first p2p program that I have found that works on my school's LAN. I just hope it will always work...
    A signature cannot be larger than 100KB Yours was over 500KB *removed by BOT*

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    Originally posted by kAb+13 March 2004 - 03:24--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kAb &#064; 13 March 2004 - 03:24)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Berserk Chaos@12 March 2004 - 22:08
    From Download.com:

Ares is a file-sharing program. Search for and download your favorite music and video files shared by other users on a free peer-to-peer network. Ares&#39;s advanced queuing system and multisource swarmed downloads allow you to get what you want in the shortest amount of time. The transfer-autoresume feature lets you forget about interrupted transfers. Ares&#39;s library manager allows you to organize your shared files easily, protecting your security. Ares can enhance your file-sharing experience, thanks to its built-in audio/video player with full playlist support.
    Editor&#39;s note: This download includes additional applications bundled with the software&#39;s installer file. Third-party applications bundled with this download may record your surfing habits, deliver advertising, collect private information, or modify your system settings. Pay close attention to the end user license agreement and installation options.

AGHHHH

how much more explicit can you get? [/b][/quote]
    if you decline navhelper durting setup you won&#39;t get the adware- even if you forget to decline it you can remove navhelper, run spybot and you&#39;ll be good- i&#39;ve tested it both ways with various progs

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    i too love ares but i have a ques...i use ares and shareazaa but at the very end of the dl when i have .2 MB to dl it slows down like crazy. it goes from 200 KB/s to Finding Sources....how come its like that.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    ladybunnybear's Avatar Poster
    Mars (North) and Venus, depending on my mood
    Originally posted by AzNsMaRtGuY333@22 March 2004 - 19:57
    but at the very end of the dl when i have .2 MB to dl it slows down like crazy.&nbsp; it goes from 200 KB/s to Finding Sources....how come its like that.
    As you know, files are downloaded by "blocks". If the sources you have downloaded from have stopped uploading the file to you before they send a complete part of the block (anytime during the download) you start to get a few gaps in the file, so when the download is almost finished these gaps have to be filled which means small bits of the file are being sent so its much slower than a constant stream of the file being sent.

I dont think ares is too bad for this but i know kazaa is, especially for big files. For sure it&#39;s more drastic when it goes from 200 KB/s to very slow, but remember that if it goes so fast it&#39;s because you can download from partial files... (ARES)
    DESTINY, n. : A tyrant's authority for crime and fool's excuse for failure (Devil's Dictionary)
    "I have great faith in fools; my friends call it self-confidence." (E.A.P.)
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Undressed tournament

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Originally posted by ladybunnybear@12 March 2004 - 17:05
    And if a member reduces his upload bandwith, he is labeled as a leech...
    I am quoting myself here because I have a bit more info about this:

The "downloads allowed at once" option in preferances is originally set to 0. This means that you can download as many files at once, as you would like. If this option is changed, to say something like 5, that means that you can only download 5 files at a maximum. Other downloads will say Locally paused, until one of the 5 downloads finishes. Once one is done, a new download that previously said locally paused will start. This will continue until all the downloads are complete.

The "Maximum Upload Bandwidth" option in preferances is also originally set to 0. This means that all of your upload bandwidth (amount people can download from you) can be used. When someone changes this option to something below 8KB/s most of their downloads will say Leech Paused.

Ares has done this to decrease the possibilty of having people use Ares to download tons of files, but rarely upload at a good speed. If your downloads say leech paused, make sure this option hasn&#39;t been changed and says 0 or something above 8KB/s.
    DESTINY, n. : A tyrant's authority for crime and fool's excuse for failure (Devil's Dictionary)
    Undressed tournament

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    Originally posted by ladybunnybear@12 March 2004 - 23:22
    ok... I get it... (I thought I had say something wrong)

You could be right... but it sounds a bit teadious
    I sometimes use NewsGroups even though they are rather antiquated. Heck, I even researched a way to use Gopher searches just to see if I could.

If you want a fairly nice, easy to use News Reader program, I&#39;d recommend Forte&#39;s "Agent" reader from http://www.forteinc.com
    I&#39;ve bought and still use their premium product Agent, but I started with Free Agent which is still available. It&#39;s greatest advantage over many other readers is its ability to automatically merge the multi-part divided up files into the one original file they started as. It also automatically discards the files which have ANY missing parts, which saves you a lot of wasted download time. BE CAUTIOUS&#33;: You MUST have ACTIVE anti-virus protection when you download stuff from the Usenet news groups. They are frequently loaded with infected files and/or spyware-laden files. Do NOT visit news groups without some kind of top-grade, auto-protect. anti-virusware loaded, up to date, and running on your PC. You have been warned&#33;

(For the insanely curious geeks interested in attempting Gopher searches, you should first visit http://gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/ which is actually a gopher proxy server that will let you do gopher searches even if you&#39;re using a newer version of MSIE from which Gopher functionality has been removed. The Floodgap site acts as a go-between http and gopher sites which were built before "http" was invented. You won&#39;t find much though, beyond maybe a few university files or old Nasa or government sites that have mostly been abandoned. )
    Dare to think for yourself.

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    Originally posted by Colly@30 March 2004 - 21:03
    If you want a fairly nice, easy to use News Reader program, I&#39;d recommend Forte&#39;s "Agent" reader
    I&#39;m am almost invisible and very well protected... I will give it a shot...
    thanx
    Undressed tournament

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12