Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wars

*Grunt*
    yep, the movies were good, they have probably accounted for half the entertainment industry, still havent seen one on the battle of Jutland though.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    Poster
    I think it's well documented that even the most graphic of war movies are nothing like the true horrors of war.

I think that the vast majority of people killed in wars will never have had the chance to experience the "technologies" that have been developed through war.

But like it or not, war is and always has been a part of our society, i think we just have to learn better ways of settling differences.

3. Lounge   -   #23
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Originally posted by mrcall1969@27 March 2004 - 00:45
    I think it's well documented that even the most graphic of war movies are nothing like the true horrors of war.
    This may be true. Yet it is also possible that celluloid may be the most effective medium in which to convey the immediate visceral confusion of battle.

I've read my share of biogs and history lessons. Goodbye To All That and All Quiet On The Western Front may be beautiful and poignant and exasperated but they lack the pure whiplash recoil we get from ,say, that Nazi fuck sniping from his balcony in Schlinder's List.

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Poster
    Originally posted by chalice@27 March 2004 - 01:31
    If it wasn't for war there'd be no war movies.

The Deer Hunter would be just about a load of hicks getting pissed and shooting deer instead of a load of hicks getting pissed and shooting themselves.

btw, There have been no recorded instances of Russian Roulette ever having been played in Vietnam. Camino just made that up. So if it wasn't for war then Michael Camino would have had nothing to embellish and The Deer Hunter would have been a much poorer movie.

Justification enough for the artistic endeavour that so many of you hippies call slaughter.
    Very true, but, no offence intended, in your original post you seemed to link war with entertainment.

5. Lounge   -   #25
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Originally posted by mrcall1969+27 March 2004 - 01:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mrcall1969 @ 27 March 2004 - 01:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chalice@27 March 2004 - 01:31
    If it wasn&#39;t for war there&#39;d be no war movies.

The Deer Hunter would be just about a load of hicks getting pissed and shooting deer instead of a load of hicks getting pissed and shooting themselves.

btw, There have been no recorded instances of Russian Roulette ever having been played in Vietnam. Camino just made that up. So if it wasn&#39;t for war then Michael Camino would have had nothing to embellish and The Deer Hunter would have been a much poorer movie.

Justification enough for the artistic endeavour that so many of you hippies call slaughter.
    Very true, but, no offence intended, in your original post you seemed to link war with entertainment. [/b][/quote]
    Um, I was being ironic.

Though, there is a question to be raised as to why we watch war movies and how their success has shaped Hollywood.

6. Lounge   -   #26
    *Grunt*
    True, but there is the factor of what would have happend if....................................

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Poster
    Originally posted by chalice+27 March 2004 - 02:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chalice @ 27 March 2004 - 02:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by mrcall1969@27 March 2004 - 01:09
    <!--QuoteBegin-chalice
    @27 March 2004 - 01:31
    If it wasn&#39;t for war there&#39;d be no war movies.

btw, There have been no recorded instances of Russian Roulette ever having been played in Vietnam. Camino just made that up. So if it wasn&#39;t for war then Michael Camino would have had nothing to embellish and The Deer Hunter would have been a much poorer movie.

Very true, but, no offence intended, in your original post you seemed to link war with entertainment.
    Um, I was being ironic.

Though, there is a question to be raised as to why we watch war movies and how their success has shaped Hollywood. [/b][/quote]
    I apologise, I didn&#39;t sense the irony.

I think the operative word is &#39;Hollywood&#39;

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123