Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Port Magic

shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by TheCanuk@1 April 2004 - 18:23
    its a linksys rounter, not wireless, and it does have a web interface. how do i find out what prot bf uses to host servers?

and were do i go from there?
    You could use the link in your sig and search google. I'm sure there are tons of battlefield help sites or what not.

http://www.planetbattlefield.com/features/servfaq/

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #12
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    im sorry but i need a bit more guidance than that.

heres a screen of my linksys screen.

Image Resized
    [img]http://server5.uploadit.org/files/thecanuk-fowarding1.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

and heres wut planet bf said i had to do

7. How do I setup my server behind a firewall?
    If you do not care about (or want) the server being listed in GameSpy, then you only need to open udp port 14567 into your network. If you are behind a firewall/router that is also doing NAT, you will need to port forward udp port 14567 from your firewall/router to your internal server. On some routers you may also make your server a 'DMZ' host which effectively puts the server on the outside of the firewall. However, please realize that exposes your server
    and all of its potentially open ports (and exploitable code) to the rest of the dirty, public internet

You will also need to open/forward TCP port 4711 if you want to use the RemoteConsole admin tool (or whichever custom port you specified when enabling access for the RemoteConsole tool). If you do want your server to be listed in GameSpy you will need a crapload of additional ports opened up (who knows why they need all these ports . Here are the ports I have open on my router:
    # GameSpy
    allow udp range 14567 14570
    allow udp 22000
    allow udp range 23000 23009
    # GameSpy Master Server UDP Heartbeat
    allow udp port 27900
    # GameSpy Master Server List Request
    allow tcp port 28900
    In addition you may or may not need to open the ports listed in the "Working Around the Firewall/Proxy" section of this GameSpy Arcade site: (thanks to mibsc123 for the link)
    someone please fill in the blanks for me

sorry for the inconvience

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #13
    Image Resized
    Image Resized
    [img]http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/thecanuk-fowarding1.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

Example put "28900-28900" in the Service port range with Protocol TCP to open port 28900 to allow GameSpy Master Server List Request.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #14
    what about all the other ports

4711<remote console
    sory man im about as dumb as a mellon when it comes to this stuff

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #15
    alrite, i just did all that stuff, but when i pressed apply, all the little boxes wenbt back to default. is that normal?

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #16

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #17
    Originally posted by TheCanuk@2 April 2004 - 22:37
    alrite, i just did all that stuff, but when i pressed apply, all the little boxes wenbt back to default. is that normal?
    That never happend to me before. Try loging back in the router and see if it has the stuff you put in?

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #18
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by TheCanuk@2 April 2004 - 16:15
    im sorry but i need a bit more guidance&nbsp; than that.

heres a screen of my linksys screen.

Image Resized
    Image Resized
    [img]http://server5.uploadit.org/files/thecanuk-fowarding1.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

and heres wut planet bf said i had to&nbsp; do

7. How do I setup my server behind a firewall?
    If you do not care about (or want) the server being listed in GameSpy, then you only need to open udp port 14567 into your network. If you are behind a firewall/router that is also doing NAT, you will need to port forward udp port 14567 from your firewall/router to your internal server. On some routers you may also make your server a &#39;DMZ&#39; host which effectively puts the server on the outside of the firewall. However, please realize that exposes your server
    and all of its potentially open ports (and exploitable code) to the rest of the dirty, public internet

You will also need to open/forward TCP port 4711 if you want to use the RemoteConsole admin tool (or whichever custom port you specified when enabling access for the RemoteConsole tool). If you do want your server to be listed in GameSpy you will need a crapload of additional ports opened up (who knows why they need all these ports . Here are the ports I have open on my router:
    # GameSpy
    allow udp range 14567 14570
    allow udp 22000
    allow udp range 23000 23009
    # GameSpy Master Server UDP Heartbeat
    allow udp port 27900
    # GameSpy Master Server List Request
    allow tcp port 28900
    In addition you may or may not need to open the ports listed in the "Working Around the Firewall/Proxy" section of this GameSpy Arcade site: (thanks to mibsc123 for the link)
    someone please fill in the blanks for me

sorry for the inconvience
    Under forwarding put the actual bf port number you need open. Put the same port number in the next range box: Eg.

80 ~ 80 for one port only&#33;

If it is a range of ports the do: # GameSpy allow udp range 14567 14570

14567 ~ 14570

So one complete line will look like.

Server port range Protocol ipaddress

4711 - 4711 - tcp - 192.168..1X

14567 14570 - udp - 192.168.1.x

One simple solution would be to click the DMZ host icon that I see in your screenshot. That will open up your whole sytem to the internet and bf server will open all the ports up and your router will not block the ports.

With DMZ host only that one computer you set up as DMZ is open to the net. Not the other boxes on your network.

But setting the ports up correctly as I did above is the best option because it allows your router to protect your network.

Also I&#39;m not sure what Gamespy is but if you do not want that then just open up the one port they tell you to which is 14567;

Replace the ports above with the ones bf tells you to have open. My nephew is 9 years old and he has an unreal tournament 2004 server that him and hist friends play. All you have to do is read and it becomes pretty self explanatory.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12