Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ram Problem Maybe.....

lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by peerzyboy@31 March 2004 - 18:02
    I can't run Folding@home, my pc bombs out and just turns off after doing to much full work (its a CPU problem i think, but i really can't be arsed to fix that right now.

post this in the appropriate section before you jump to conclusions
    what do you mean? Its hardware?

usually, corny ram issues are designated with a mis-addressed windows error: x app faulted when trying to access x mem address: the mem could not be ("written"/"read")
    I dont get none of that shit at all.

or ur comp will crash
    yes...but i know not ram related its a CPU problems and my new mobo.

Thnx for teh quick reply
    Have you turned auto restart off? If not you may not see BSOD errors (such as *STOP* 0x0000000A) which are indicative of memory errors. Turn it off now.
    Control Panel/System/Advanced/Startup and Recovery Settings, uncheck "Automatically restart".

When you've done that (or if it already off) you may start seeing the BSOD messages. If you don't get them, it is unlikely that you have a RAM problem.

If you know you have CPU problems, how can you possibly hope to solve any other potential problems? If you don't get the expected result, how can you deduce that the RAM is faulty when your CPU isn't correctly processing the data it gets from the RAM?

The CPU is what does all the work - sort that out first.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    ur running an athlon xp rite? mind as well move up to a 2500 barton

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Originally posted by johnboy27@1 April 2004 - 06:40
    It also could be your power supply.I had a bad one a couple of weeks ago and everything was fooked up.I tried to install games and it couldn't find files on the disc,also similar problems to what you are having.I swapped my old PSU back in and problem was gonzo.
    Iv been down and back from my local pc shop over 20 times, maybe even 30 with this problem theyv'e replaced the power supply and i got a new power cable its not that...

Have you turned auto restart off? If not you may not see BSOD errors (such as *STOP* 0x0000000A) which are indicative of memory errors. Turn it off now.
    Control Panel/System/Advanced/Startup and Recovery Settings, uncheck "Automatically restart".
    I sometimes even do get those problems, when it starts doing it and it won't even get into windows it displays them all this Bad_poll_cooler 0X000008 shit.

Iv turned automatic restart off now, it was on. Thanks

The CPU is what does all the work - sort that out first.
    About four weeks ago i had a massive 5 page thread here and after that no-one could still work it out

ur running an athlon xp rite?
    NO i am not, im running a DURON XP, one of only a few (there quite rare apparently) It runs at 1666MHz. If i do a quick search i'll hacve a look for the thread and that will give y'all better info.

mind as well move up to a 2500 barton
    im getting a new pc in july, im building it, 64 bit beasty. Might have seen a thread in here about 2 days ago about it

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    You were going to get the latest bios.
    And you never told us what the label on the chip actually said.
    No-one solved your problem because you seemed to give up.

If you aren't running with the latest bios you could be getting all sorts of problems with an unsupported chip.

Of course if it is a supported chip but has been overclocked that could also be the problem but you won't know without looking at the chip label, and the bridges to see if they've been tampered with.

If you follow up on what you were going to do originally you might get more help.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Originally posted by lynx@1 April 2004 - 21:34

If you aren't running with the latest bios you could be getting all sorts of problems with an unsupported chip.

Of course if it is a supported chip but has been overclocked that could also be the problem but you won't know without looking at the chip label, and the bridges to see if they've been tampered with.

If you follow up on what you were going to do originally you might get more help.
    lol yeah lynx is right id just got so pissed off and gave up. The chip hasnt been overclocked because its brand new from pc world, only brought it October last year. I didnt want to get the latest BISO because to be honest iv neva sussessfully flash a BIOS before. infact iv fucked it up 2wice and had to pay to have it fixed. any n00b guide (that sounds sad i know )

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by peerzyboy+1 April 2004 - 16:52--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (peerzyboy @ 1 April 2004 - 16:52)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@1 April 2004 - 21:34

If you aren&#39;t running with the latest bios you could be getting all sorts of problems with an unsupported chip.

Of course if it is a supported chip but has been overclocked that could also be the problem but you won&#39;t know without looking at the chip label, and the bridges to see if they&#39;ve been tampered with.

lol yeah lynx is right id just got so pissed off and gave up. The chip hasnt been overclocked because its brand new from pc world, only brought it October last year. I didnt want to get the latest BISO because to be honest iv neva sussessfully flash a BIOS before. infact iv fucked it up 2wice and had to pay to have it fixed. any n00b guide (that sounds sad i know ) [/b][/quote]
    Just do it don&#39;t be a wuss. Your manufacturers website will have instructions on how to do it, just make sure you get the one for your motherboard model.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    im scared...............i need to call my mummy.....last time i got a little electric shock because i 4got to turn the power off. better call everyone i know and say bye

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by peerzyboy@1 April 2004 - 18:27
    im scared...............i need to call my mummy.....last time i got a little electric shock because i 4got to turn the power off. better call everyone i know and say bye
    how do you get a shock from updating the BIOS? you put in a floppy disc and restart to dos then run some program, nothing electrical involved and the only thing that could get screwed up would be if the power went out or if you turned off the computer during the install of the new bios update...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    i get bad rar files also from suprnova. i think its just a shitty file. i also get good ones. maybe there is nothing wrong with your pc at all.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+1 April 2004 - 17:31--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 &#064; 1 April 2004 - 17:31)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-peerzyboy@1 April 2004 - 18:27
    how do you get a shock from updating the BIOS? you put in a floppy disc and restart to dos then run some program, nothing electrical involved and the only thing that could get screwed up would be if the power went out or if you turned off the computer during the install of the new bios update...[/b][/quote]
    It is recommended to clear the CMOS after a flash. So he will have the case open. **** Watch out for shocks&#33;&#33;&#33; ****

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast