Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gigabyte 3d Cooler Pro

There are no places for jumpers or anything, i ordered the same one at the same time, and mine works fine
    but yeah, they cool decent, and surprisingly can cool on low rpm, only changes abou 3-4 degrees to high rpm, it is quite loud on highest rpm though (4000rpm)
    we got it at VibeComputers
    Here it is, it got one bad review, but according to clocker it is most likly because he did not have sufficient airflow elsewhere throughout his case. everywhere else it has gotten really good reviews
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by kaiweiler@1 April 2004 - 07:39
    it got one bad review, but according to clocker it is most likly because he did not have sufficient airflow elsewhere throughout his case. everywhere else it has gotten really good reviews
    Just to clarify a bit...I have no direct experience with this HS, nor am I familiar with the specifics of the user's case/installation.

However....
    A fact that is (seemingly) overlooked quite frequently is that no heatsink, regardless of it's inherent goodness, can be effective in a poorly ventilated case.
    Furthermore, the cooling configuration that is effective for one HSF may be unsuitable for another...especially if the architecture is radically different, as would be the case here.

The current heatsink of choice on the OC Forum is the Thermalright SP series.
    Any question about "the best HSF for my setup" automatically receives a "Thermalright is the best" response.
    This is despite the fact that most of the users there are reporting temps in excess of the results I have achieved with my Zalman HS. I can't seem to get my point across ( and have basically given up trying) that almost any HS can be made to work well if the time is taken to find the appropriate setup to exploit it's good qualities.

With a few glaring exceptions, I don't think there are any really "bad" HSF units...just one's which are not supported by the proper airflow solution.

Witness BigDawg's success with the stock AMD HSF combo....
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    FlyingDutchman's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by clocker@1 April 2004 - 15:58
    However....
    A fact that is (seemingly) overlooked quite frequently is that no heatsink, regardless of it's inherent goodness, can be effective in a poorly ventilated case.
    Furthermore, the cooling configuration that is effective for one HSF may be unsuitable for another...especially if the architecture is radically different, as would be the case here.
    This is despite the fact that most of the users there are reporting temps in excess of the results I have achieved with my Zalman HS. I can't seem to get my point across ( and have basically given up trying) that almost any HS can be made to work well if the time is taken to find the appropriate setup to exploit it's good qualities.

With a few glaring exceptions, I don't think there are any really "bad" HSF units...just one's which are not supported by the proper airflow solution.
    Hear, hear !

I totally agree.

It's time we start looking at our PCs as a 'complex system'.
    Any change in cooling system will have it's effects throughout the whole system.

You can't just add a fan anywhere and expect it will only do good.
    Only thoughtful design will result in 'near optimum' results.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by FlyingDutchman@1 April 2004 - 09:07

Only thoughtful design will result in 'near optimum' results.
    Yes.

Thoughtful design and the willingness to explore every combination of possibilities will at the very least provide enough data to plan your next step.
    Subtle changes to fan speed can make a world of difference...more than may at first be obvious.
    "Wham bam, thank you ma'am" installations are almost surely doomed to fail.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12